Down v Leitrim: 9/7/11

Started by DownFanatic, June 27, 2011, 12:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

waitingforsam

On Paper should be a good draw for us, but we said the same about Clare.

Whats the latest on our injury list ?

Been waiting since '94

Any craic

John Clarke says Down should 'blow Leitrim away'. He also talks about a possible return and you can see him in fine form for An Riocht against Kilcoo, - http://tiny.cc/mmrlk

NP 76

We didnt blow them away the last time we played them and John was playing that day as far as i remember they will be no push over

Leo

You've heard it here first.....
Liam Doyle plays full back against Leitrim (not Liatroim).
Dan Gordon (at last!!) restored to midfield
Fierce tame altogether

NP 76

Just because he played a half there the other night Leo doesnt mean it is going to come into effect but from what i heard he did very well

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Leo on July 03, 2011, 11:23:17 PM

Will be good to see Gordon there, as long as he doesn't fall asleep.
Has a wild tendency to not be involved when not on his game.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

whitegoodman

Quote from: Leo on July 03, 2011, 11:23:17 PM

Anyone else slightly concerned about this?!?

NP 76

Although Doyle a great reader of the game he cant mark . Bad enough having a chb that cant mark leaving a gap in the middle players to run at to have another man as the last line of defence that also cant mark thus leaving a very soft centre . I think Dan coming out will only be a last resort . Anton mc Ardle also did mid field in that friendly game . James trying things dont think i would read to much into it

whitegoodman

I would agree that a doyle/mckernan defensive spine would be worrying.  Cant see it happening myself either.  As you say he was probably just trying things out, McArdle and Carr played in the friendly and were then allowed to play for their clubs the following night so wouldnt read too much into it.

NP 76

I would be very relucant myself to take Dan out of full back i think he has grown into the role after being thrown into the position . I never thought he set the world alight at mid field for Down always could make a few good catches but got caught up when he landed . He scored a goal the other night from mid field but the hard work was done by Eoin Mc Cartan . If he had to go out i think Carr could do a job there he is big enough can break a tackle is a good distrubitor of the ball but most of all its a position which would require less work from him not like a wing half forward or wing half back where he is required to track back at all times . A thing he doesnt seem capable of doing . But at the end of the day its all hear say James and co have their own opions

Mourne Rover

If Doyle had been available for the McKenna Cup - although it turned out he was still six months away from county level fitness then - it might have been worth trying him at full back. At this time of year, it would be an incredibly risky option. He is small for the position, not really a marker and his pace is uncertain. His strengths are a top class football brain and the ability to make runs and see passes which few others can match. He is also an accomplished left-sided free taker, and arguably more reliable than Marty in this role. At this stage, logic suggests that he should either be used in the half foward line or as an extra defender. However, after being out for the last three years, it is a huge bonus to have him involved at all.

orchard 8195

Quote from: Any craic on July 02, 2011, 05:23:53 PM
John Clarke says Down should 'blow Leitrim away'. He also talks about a possible return and you can see him in fine form for An Riocht against Kilcoo, - http://tiny.cc/mmrlk

Why does Jerome say former county player james colgan? has he been dropped/left panel.

NP 76

Still think Colgan is on the panel was at training last week . He hasnt featured for a while because of a knock dead leg i think

Banana Man

any word on ambrose? rapidly looking like this year's a write off...

Is hughes fit for Saturday?