Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Lads,
Derry could have won, but thats a huge 'if'.
We didnt deserve it. Donegal were the far better side on the day.

Ferdie - Cassidy ruffles a few too many feathers, prob needs a few more years to hone his man management skills. He did his best. They all do. I feel that Brennan has more buy in from clubs this year that has helped him. Maybe they are just afraid of him !  :D

Cass could be back in 5-10 years. he is still young.
Hope Brennan stays for at least one more season after this.
Next managers have to be either Eugene Kelly or the Magherafelt man along with Tony Scullion (who are managing Screen this year)

sheamy

Quote from: Thastheball on July 19, 2011, 10:25:20 AM
Congraulations to Donegal, well deserved and the margin didn't reflect how superior you were to Derry.

Sheamy, Donegal played without their first choice midfield, Rory started but it was obvious he was injured and replaced after 24 minutes.

On the Bradleys. IMO Paddy is a serial flop when teams play with blanket defenses against Derry, and Eoin is a superior player to Paddy, he scores goals and shows for the ball all the time, Paddy only shows is he is going to get a pass. If either had of been on or both the result would have been the same as Derry have always and including this game been unable to play against the blanket defense. Where is your evidense to suggest anything else.

The only progress Derry have made ithe fact they got the psychological semi final boggy off their shoulder, but IMO this was due to Armaghs stupidity, and I base this on the fact that any team going out to play Derry should play a blanket defense as I said earlier they just can't beat it, why Armagh went for a shoot out with lots of space in front of the full backs I will never know. Other than that, I see absolutely no dofference in this Derry team than I did 5 years ago.

BTW, Ulster football is away behind the standard it has had the past 10 yrs.

Derry also played without the first choice midfield (Patsy Bradley, Fergal Doherty, James Conway all out or missing)

Mind you Mickey Friel will be first choice now! The lad was superb and dealt with the pressure better than most.

I accept that were a serial flop in the past but if you had seen Paddy against Tyrone's 11 men defence in the McKenna Cup final you wouldn't say that. They rotated in and out, were full of running, and torn Tyrone apart sweepers and all. Judging by your comments you didn't see Paddy play this year at all. He was a completely different player under Brennan, more of a team player and made the unselfish runs all day.

They didn't deliver that level of energy and movement on Sunday. The constant unpunished fouling by Donegal meant it was impossible to play any football. Fair play to them for getting away with it too. Derry only worked one score properly (the Marty Donaghy point). All they had to do to beat Donegal was quickly switch the ball from one side to another. Two sweeper football ain't gonna work v a top team and will be shown up badly.

Donegal were the better team. I accept that no problem. Brennan has had no luck with the serious amount of serious injuries he's had. He will insist it's 15 v 15 and all that but it makes a difference. You take the midfield and the best two attackers off any team and they will struggle.

Would Kerry have broken down donegal without Gooch and Donaghy? No.

Hopefully Brennan has better luck next year.

J70

You Derry lads who are still crying about the Donegal penalty should cop on. It was the correct decision. You were unlucky with the one you weren't given, and IF it had been scored, you MIGHT have got back into the game, although given the ineptness of your attacking play to that point I wouldn't have bet on it. Overall though, Donegal were well deserving winners.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2011, 01:39:54 PM
You Derry lads who are still crying about the Donegal penalty should cop on. It was the correct decision. You were unlucky with the one you weren't given, and IF it had been scored, you MIGHT have got back into the game, although given the ineptness of your attacking play to that point I wouldn't have bet on it. Overall though, Donegal were well deserving winners.
although most likely biased, as a qualified referee I most def wouldnt have given it. Prob wouldnt have given the Derry one either. Also speaking to many other refs, and reading listening to many pundits/ex players in the media - more than half of them wouldnt have given it.

On the radio driving home from clones, Ross car would have given both, but Sean o'Domhnaill and MJ tierney criticised the ref for giving it.

Either way it doesnt matter now.Deegan gave it and the game is over.

screenexile

To be fair that has been the general consensus from Derry fans on here!

J70

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 19, 2011, 02:08:25 PM
although most likely biased, as a qualified referee I most def wouldnt have given it. Prob wouldnt have given the Derry one either. Also speaking to many other refs, and reading listening to many pundits/ex players in the media - more than half of them wouldnt have given it.

On the radio driving home from clones, Ross car would have given both, but Sean o'Domhnaill and MJ tierney criticised the ref for giving it.

On what basis would you not have given either? The Derry one, if it was shoulder to shoulder, fair enough, but it looked high. The Donegal one was a clear trip by the Derry keeper when he dove in for the ball and missed. Don't see where the room for the doubt is, honestly!

Goldengreen

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2011, 02:20:45 PM

On what basis would you not have given either? The Derry one, if it was shoulder to shoulder, fair enough, but it looked high. The Donegal one was a clear trip by the Derry keeper when he dove in for the ball and missed. Don't see where the room for the doubt is, honestly!

+1 If the same thing happened out the field a free would have been given.

playerfit

although most likely biased, as a qualified referee I most def wouldn't have given it. Prob wouldn't have given the Derry one either. Also speaking to many other refs, and reading listening to many pundits/ex players in the media - more than half of them wouldn't have given it.

I really don't understand why u keep calling it a trip other than to reinforce your own agenda. The two men ran into each other (in no way was this a trip and ur only person i have heard describe it as so) this happens numerous times in matches and generally no foul is given thats why a lot of people reckon it should not have been a penalty. Maybe if murphy had control of ball or any chance getting it before it went wide which i doubt as it was well gone before the 2 made contact. End of day the ref gave it nothing said now will change that and donegal took full advantage and won the game, they were better team from that point on because the cushion of the pen gave them the opportunity to impose their gameplan and pack the defense. No one knows how game would have went if pen was not given but neither team had started well in second half and was a draw at half time. Derry were not at best in first half and despite that drew level by half time because. But as i say donegal got the break they needed to impose their style on game and rest is history. I think at this stage u can at least acknowledge it was a soft penalty award at the very least but as u a pig headed donegal native i doubt that will happen

playerfit

Quote from: Goldengreen on July 19, 2011, 02:49:13 PM

+1 If the same thing happened out the field a free would have been given.

A free to who exactly they collided?? there would be a lot more frees in games if u were ref. its a contact sport for god sake

J70

I'm the pig-headed one??? :D

Murphy was chasing the ball and just as/after he touched it, Devlin dove in and took Murphy's leg with his own legs. How the f**k is that not a trip???

playerfit

U know what there is no talking to u it was a soft pen and 99 times outta 100 it would not have been given sundays match just happened to be the one it was given in. As said before on here murphy looked surprised when it was given and initially didnt seem to appeal for it. The forwards reaction to these things usually tell u a lot about an incident.

J70

99/100? Really? :D

Murphy's reaction is irrelevant. Maybe he didn't know what happened. Maybe he looked back and saw Deegan running in. Who knows? The only important issue is whether or not there was a foul and if the ref made the right call.

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2011, 03:33:04 PM
99/100? Really? :D

Murphy's reaction is irrelevant. Maybe he didn't know what happened. Maybe he looked back and saw Deegan running in. Who knows? The only important issue is whether or not there was a foul and if the ref made the right call.
and as that's always going to be subjective, there is no definitive answer. 

lynchbhoy

is this the 'there was contact' craic that many were on about earlier on in the thread ?
that applies to soccer only.
These kinds of challenges happen all the time in contesting for posession (mainly kickouts) at midfield - rarely are there frees given for that.
as a ref , I woldnt have given (the donegal one) , a a player I wouldnt have expected ta free for this when I was playing. Former and current players on the radio immediately afterwards also though the same !
obv we (and many more) will continue to disagree on this !

George Foreman

We'll never know if Derry would have won that game had the penalty not been given but for anyone to argue that Donegal won emphatically anyway, they just don't understand football.  Once Donegal get a lead on you, they are impossible to play against.  Once they got the four point lead up, they withdrew even more men behind the ball.  Derry hadn't been gung ho up until about 45 minutes in and they had contained the Donegal forward line rightly.  0-05 apiece at half time was maybe even harsh on Derry, who were the better side in the final 20 minutes of the half.  The goal gave them a lead and as time went on, Derry had to throw more and more men forward.  Donegal's counter attacks were excellent and they kicked a few brilliant scores but they were benefited hugely by the space that was created in the Derry defence by them needing to go forward and try to get back in the game.  Donegal would not have won by six points if they hadn't been given that penalty, they might not have won at all because they hadn't looked like scoring a goal either.