The Titanic

Started by ONeill, May 29, 2011, 11:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Can someone explain to me why we have a rash of celebratory events commemorating the Titanic? It seems to be Belfast's No.1 selling point in terms of tourism. We have a Titanic festival, the Titanic quarter and a whole host of weekend festivities all in the name of a doomed ship.

Am I missing something here? Is it something to celebrate?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2011, 11:12:47 AM
Can someone explain to me why we have a rash of celebratory events commemorating the Titanic? It seems to be Belfast's No.1 selling point in terms of tourism. We have a Titanic festival, the Titanic quarter and a whole host of weekend festivities all in the name of a doomed ship.

wait until next April when it's the 100th anniversary, then it will be overbearing !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

norabeag

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 29, 2011, 11:24:05 AM

wait until next April when it's the 100th anniversary, then it will be overbearing !
Do you really think they'll go overboard with the commemorations?

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: norabeag on May 29, 2011, 11:31:29 AM

:D very good
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

The Worker

Yeah...what you are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.

bridgegael

always thought that myself as to why such a celebration of a ship that sunk on its first journey.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

13aside

are they trying to raise that again?

Nally Stand

Quote from: The Worker on May 29, 2011, 11:33:06 AM

Yeah...what you are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg.
I've got a sinking feeling you're right
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mannix

Profit from tragedy, what's new?

ziggysego

If you mean why they are celebrating at the moment? The Titantic left Belfast for England this week, 100 years ago. So as Jake O'Kane says - There was nothing wrong with it when it left Belfast, it was the English that sank it.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

I think they should carry on full speed ahead and be damned.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

IolarCoisCuain

It's the most famous ship in the world. They're completely correct to promote it.

13aside

this really has sunk to a new low!!

NetNitrate

It's proved a life saver for the tourism industry up north.

FL/MAYO

They have all hands on deck at this stage promoting this event.