Admission prices---the GAA are killing the goose that lays the golden egg

Started by samwin08, May 15, 2011, 08:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

The GAA was initially formed on the ideals of preserving our culture. The 1880's were probably not the greatest times to be alive in this country, for a few reasons. The GAA was something that the people of Ireland could turn too and lift there spirits. This is what it has stood for , for many years and to be honest in that regard it has few peers. However, for maybe slightly different reasons ,once again Ireland isnt a happy place! The GAA I feel has a totally blatant disregard for this, and because the times we live in dont effect the "people" who make decisions at HQ, they dont care! It shouldnt matter were you want to sit, either terrace or stand. The GAA should be affordable to all, in good times and in bad. The Celtic tiger saw a HUGE rise in ticket prices as money kept pouring in, however they didnt grasp the fact that the tiger died a good while ago!

Thewhataboutery

Quote from: Barney on May 16, 2011, 10:55:28 AM
The GAA hierarchy are destroying their games/competitions and price is only one factor.

I see on the Connacht Council website that entry for the Sligo v Leitrim game on next Sunday is €30 for the stand or €20 for the Terrace. Compared to other events that might look good value. But this is an amateur association which is supposed to be for the benefit of the community and we are going through very difficulty times in this country currently. How many will be at this match between a team that was relegated to Division 3 and a team that had a mediocre league in Division 4? 5,000 I would say. You could take it that any Connacht Championship game would attract 10,000. The Final anything from about 20,000 to 30,000 depending on how teams are going.

We keep being told the League doesn't matter so the crowds going to that are dwindling.

The Championship used to be do-or-die and now teams seem happy enough to try their chances in the back door. The luke warm supporter now waits for the bigger days and if they don't come so-be-it.

When it does get to the back-door only the really interested supporters know the games are on and will go if they can.

And even for the Quarter Finals the type of crowd that will travel can be uncertain enough.

Is it a generational change? The hard-core support in Mayo is certainly dwindling, I'm not sure about other counties but even the likes of the Ulster counties seem to bring much fewer travelling supporters. Do people see it as a day out, and just entertainment rather than a hunger to succeed?

Spot on just heard this, €30 to sit down? Are they for real, what planet are they living on? It's a divison 3 team v a division 4 side. Do they know there is a recession going on? Look at the crowd at Donegal v Antrim well down on previous championship matches at the same venue.  People are quoting international cricket matches, International soccer matches & big concerts etc etc would want to wise up. There is no value in these ticket prices for this match and no justification for charging these prices either by an amateur organisation who have no wages to play, Sligo Rovers play at home this weekend it's €15 into that surely people should that match would be a better comparison than bloody concerts?

PAULD123

I don't think you can adjust championship prices to suit the divisions teams play in. Sure Dublin could play against Carlow in the first round and then should you pay division 1 prices cause you're seeing Dublin or division 4 prices cause you're seeing Carlow?

But for the league I think pricing structure is fair as is the case in any other sport.

Why do people insist on complaining about ticket prices and then only talk about the seated ticket? If you don't want to pay the price then stand! Why do people expect sympathy from me if they are griping about the price not being cheap but then are unwilling to take the cheap option?

here comes 6

The top board of the Gaa are killing our game and what hey have decided to do today and invite an unwanted visiter to our home of the Gaa is not going to help.    Who made this decision for this to happen?  The ordinary member doesnt seem to get his vote in the say of these thing any more

Rossfan

So if Mrs Windsor wasnt visiting Croke Park would price of seats come down?
Is every decision of the top brass to be put to a  referendum of the membership?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Larry Duff

Think the game has to be marketed better towards families. The absence of concession tickets to covered seats means that a man with two kids has three options:

1. Paying e100+ into a game that only really he and possibly his wife are truly interested in.

2. Pay e30 for the terrace and spend most of the game lifting kids up to see (made all the worse by the unneccessary massive golf umbrellas), wasting maybe ten minutes pushing through the crowd if a child has to go to the toilet (which will inevitably not have a seat and the floor swimming in piss). After spending 3 hours in the rain (if the kids endure this long) head back to the car with kids drenched and shivering for change of clothes or trek home soaked.

3. Watch on TV.

I know the obvious answer is just go alone but anyone who is married will know that's not always feasible, plus we need to be bringing kids to games to encourage future involvement (not easy given option 2).

I would suggest larger sections of the covered seats be designated family enclosures with suitabley priced tickets.  The size of this area could be determined by asking for expressions of interest a week before general sale, possibly done by GAA administered family scheme. At worst a section of covered terracing should be allocated for families and ticketed or monitored at turnstile to avoid overcrowding.

here comes 6

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2011, 09:37:57 AM
So if Mrs Windsor wasnt visiting Croke Park would price of seats come down?
Is every decision of the top brass to be put to a  referendum of the membership?
yes i believe so. Cooney and all other presidents want to leave their own stamp from their time in office.His being stopping true loyal members from entering the pitch when game is over (but she will be able to go where she likes today and wont have paid up her membership) Hes the man that put the jail fence up at hill16.  Oh yes he will be remembered for the wrong reasons

Rossfan

Quote from: here comes 6 on May 18, 2011, 10:25:51 AM
[. Cooney and all other presidents want to leave their own stamp from their time in office.His being stopping true loyal members from entering the pitch when game is over

There was a large crowd on the pitch after the Connacht final last year.  ;D ;D
Most of them were not members of the GAA and very few of them can be seen at Ros NFL games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PAULD123

Despite my continual defence of the prices for matches, I only mean that for Adults. I firmly believe that kids should let in free or at least nearly free. There is however a problem with all-ticket matches. If a match is a sell-out then why should a kid (or anyone) get in for less than anyone else. Why should I be denied the right to buy a ticket just because I am out of school? (or some similar argument identifying discrimination like that!!) But for most matches, it is not all ticket and I think that kids should be let into the terrace for totally free and only charged something like £5 into the stand. This would encourage a next generation of supporters, increase attendance, and therefore improve the atmosphere.

Hardy

Quote from: here comes 6 on May 18, 2011, 08:54:15 AM
The top board of the Gaa are killing our game and what hey have decided to do today and invite an unwanted visiter to our home of the Gaa is not going to help.    Who made this decision for this to happen?  The ordinary member doesnt seem to get his vote in the say of these thing any more

We're used to being hated by everybody. Joe Sheridan will be there whether you like it or not.

samwin08

Admission prices are the big issue this week-It does not matter to me, or any of the GAA supporters I know,  what the football is like. We might complain about the standard , but we go every week. Many GAA supporters have demonstrated by their absence that games are no longer affordable. The C.L.G is  not comparable with any other sporting organisations and their pricing structures or other events.
It is after all the biggest amateur organisation in the world.Is it really "amateur".
many commentators have recognised that admission prices are too high and need to be "slashed" . For me that means halved.
I think you will find that those few who have defended prices on here are some of the decision makers.
incidentally -
By the way I have worked voluntarily all my life for the GAA, so why shouldn't I ask to sit in the stand at an affordable price if all seats are not taken.after all I  made a contribution towards its cost-I bought a ticket to help build it.

Blowitupref

30 euro for the stand in the Sligo v Leitrim is far to much! GAA main target should be to get bums on seats & in doing so they would make more money than those turn away prices.

Not so long ago an All Ireland semi final was 30 euro or less for a seat.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Donnellys Hollow

I've payed €15 for a terrace ticket to see the two matches in Portlaoise on Sunday. I think that represents excellent value. The season ticket is also a great deal. Some people would still find something to moan about if the GAA payed them to attend a match - then again I'd have to be payed to watch the rubbish that Donegal and Antrim served up last Sunday.

Quote from: Hardy on May 18, 2011, 01:04:28 PM
Quote from: here comes 6 on May 18, 2011, 08:54:15 AM

We're used to being hated by everybody. Joe Sheridan will be there whether you like it or not.

:D

There was me thinking Joe was still missing since Mick Foley put him in his back pocket!  ;)

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2011, 10:45:22 AM
Most of them were not members of the GAA and very few of them can be seen at Ros NFL games.

How can you know this with certainty?

*thinks about it*

Oh. I see