Touring America/flights

Started by winsamsoon, May 10, 2011, 02:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Hi lad/ladies,   i am considering a trip round the west coast of America next year but really have no idea of the best way to go about it. Thinking of a driving trip lasting around 4 weeks. Anyone with any info regarding flights, places to stay, best routes to take would be really appreciated.

thanks
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Declan

winsamsoon

armaghniac

It depends when you go. While the Pacific coast area is always pleasant, some of the inland places (Yosemite, Grand canyon etc) can be murderous hot in summer, this time of year would be better.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

STREET FIGHTER

JimStynes

ross4life

If not already included in Declans PM..Yellowstone,Grand teton are worth seeing.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

winsamsoon

Derry Dolly

Hi all..
Was just wondering if any of u based in the US or have spent summers there before knew of how to get some summer wrk in bars/beach or anything really for a few wks  based in california?wouldnt mind playing ladies football either if that helps?

heffo

Quote from: Derry Dolly on November 29, 2011, 12:58:44 PM
Hi all..
Was just wondering if any of u based in the US or have spent summers there before knew of how to get some summer wrk in bars/beach or anything really for a few wks  based in california?

Walk in off the street.

AZOffaly

There's a ladies football team in San Diego I think, Na Fianna they are called. San Diego is a grand spot for summer work too, there's loads of beach front bars in Pacific Beach, la Jolla etc, and a decent downtown area as well.

There's also a few teams in San Francisco, I think Fog City Harps are one, but San Diego and Southern Cal is probably better weather, even though I love San Francisco as a city.

Derry Dolly

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 29, 2011, 02:00:12 PM
There's a ladies football team in San Diego I think, Na Fianna they are called. San Diego is a grand spot for summer work too, there's loads of beach front bars in Pacific Beach, la Jolla etc, and a decent downtown area as well.

There's also a few teams in San Francisco, I think Fog City Harps are one, but San Diego and Southern Cal is probably better weather, even though I love San Francisco as a city.
Yeah ive been to both cities before and love both. Prob thinkn san fran at this stage but goin for 3mts and was jus wondering how easy it is to get a job for few wks without one of those j1 visas!
Heffo, wud u get sorted as simply as that u think?
Also does playing gaa help get work (contacts and that?) cheers guys

heffo

Quote from: Derry Dolly on November 30, 2011, 12:28:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 29, 2011, 02:00:12 PM

Heffo, wud u get sorted as simply as that u think?
Also does playing gaa help get work (contacts and that?) cheers guys

I've worked illegally in holiday resorts and it was just a case of walking in off the street - getting a bartender or waitress job might take a little longer as you can make good money at both, but bussing/chambermaiding/etc are/were all very easy to get especially anywhere during the summer with a tourist influx.

I have friends who played GAA in San Fran in recent summers and went over illegally and got a 'better' job through the club.

I'm not sure how much influence a small club in the likes of San Diego would have but any of the big cities would get you a reasonable summer job through their club.