Pitch invasion ban for provincial finals on the way

Started by Blowitupref, May 06, 2011, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

The GAA will look to extend the ban on post-match pitch invasions to provincial finals over the next two years.

The provincial councils have been asked to examine how they would go about replicating the ban that has successfully worked in Croke Park.

GAA president Christy Cooney believes that the current ban in Croke Park, aided by a screen at the Hill 16 end, is helping to educate supporters that there is a better way for post- match presentations to happen.

And he has also predicted that the success of the current programme will result in the barrier being taken down in the next couple of years.

"I think the education programme worked and in fairness to our patrons they have responded very positively," said Cooney. "I think if you look at last Sunday and see the reception of the Dublin team when they went around the pitch with the cup.

"It was tremendous and that's what we want to see. I think the days of pitch invasions being a concern in Croke Park is nearly gone.

"I would hope that in the next year or two -- and I think Liam O'Neill (next president) would be positive about this -- that we would be in a position to take down the barrier that exists on Hill 16.

"And I would hope that would happen and I would hope that what has happened in Croke Park would spread to our provincial games as well because it's about spectators enjoying the game, but also enjoying the success of their teams afterwards and being able to thank them.

"I also feel it's very important for the players. What an occasion it was for the Dublin hurlers to be able to go around with the cup last Sunday and to do it in a healthy, safe environment and they all go off the field comfortable, knowing they had won a great league final and that they were thrilled with the occasion and able to bring the cup to their fans."

The strategy will be attempted at provincial grounds this summer, according to Cooney.

"We've asked provincial councils to examine it. We've asked them to work their way through it over the next two or three years and try and develop that.

"There's the same danger for players and spectators as there is at an All-Ireland final.

"We want it to be a safe and welcoming environment for everybody and we'd hope there will be no pitch invasions at any of our county grounds.

"The various councils have been asked to work on a development strategy over the next number of years to create a similar type of situation to Croke Park."

Meanwhile, Cooney has no desire to see a change in the league hurling formats next year.

The president believes the cut and thrust of promotion and relegation should remain and that keeping Division 2 as competitive as possible is also paramount for the development of hurling.

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

They'll never stop the county final pitch invasion, a tradition at the very core of what it means to be Irish.

AZOffaly

I really, really wish Christy Cooney would stop calling us Patrons. It pisses me off. I'm up to my oxters in the GAA, not some sort of outsider peering in.

Farrandeelin

I wonder will the queen be allowed onto the pitch when she arrives? I hope not. But more than likely she will despite not being a paid up member. >:( >:( >:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

I would like to see them try stopping Leitrim,Sligo or Roscommon fans for entering the pitch to celebrate! & it's not just provincial finals.. Mayo will have a massive pitch invasion if they beat Galway.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on May 06, 2011, 05:24:22 PM
I would like to see them try stopping Leitrim,Sligo or Roscommon fans for entering the pitch to celebrate! & it's not just provincial finals.. Mayo will have a massive pitch invasion if they beat Galway.

Mayo will have a massive pitch invasion if they win a match this year.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2011, 04:57:43 PM
They'll never stop the county final pitch invasion, a tradition at the very core of what it means to be Irish.

From the point of view of it being very Irish to ignore the rules, you'd be absolutely right.

People said the same about the All-Ireland pitch invasion though. I honestly don't understand why people are so hostile to this new rule. There were no pitch invasions after the All-Ireland from about 1999 to 2002 when Armagh fans resumed the tradition after winning their first football All-Ireland. I don't remember there being so much hostility to the invasion ban back then, and there was no need for a screen to keep the people out.

mylestheslasher

I wish cooney would take a hurley and shove it up his hole sideways. I'm sick of hearing him and his one man quest to take the enjoyment out of the gaa.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 06, 2011, 06:51:12 PM
I wish cooney would take a hurley and shove it up his hole sideways. I'm sick of hearing him and his one man quest to take the enjoyment out of the gaa.

you are such an touchy,angry individual, seriously, stop being such a wuss.

Maguire01

As long as Armagh or Tyrone keep hold of Ulster, it won't be too hard to enforce.

Blowitupref

How long has Christy Cooney left? & hopefully the next guy doesn't try to kill every tradition we have.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2011, 07:28:07 PM
As long as Armagh or Tyrone keep hold of Ulster, it won't be too hard to enforce.

What's the chances of them stopping monaghan fans running onto the pitch if they win ulster this year?

tommysmith

They would need a right few big men with cattle prods patrolling the sidelines.

seafoid

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 06, 2011, 07:19:20 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 06, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

you are such an touchy,angry individual, seriously, stop being such a wuss.

Did you have a difficult birth, Mike?
Do women ever talk to you? 

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 06, 2011, 08:42:06 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2011, 07:28:07 PM

What's the chances of them stopping monaghan fans running onto the pitch if they win ulster this year?
If it was to happen (and that's a lot less likely than in recent years), there's not a mission they'd keep us off the pitch. And i'd say that's the same for a few counties.