1. Down
1. Tyrone

4. Armagh
4. Derry
4. Monaghan

7. Antrim
8. Cavan
9. Fermanagh

Agree with you Western Exile that Ulster is a 3 tier province at the minute, and you v the 3 tiers perfect, the top 3 are way ahead of the middle 3 IMO and the middle 3 are ahead of the bottom 3. I think the gap between our top 3 and bottom 3 at the minute is as big as it has been in a long long while!!!
Get a grip, both of you!

Donegal in the top tier? Why? On the basis of results against Division 2 teams? A 3-point win against Sligo at home? A win against a Meath team who were beaten by Antrim and sitting in the relegation zone?

Why did you omit the 7 point win away to Tyrone and the 6 point win away to Derry? :P. And it was a draw at home to Sligo, albeit after being 8 points down.

That aside, Donegal have proven nothing yet, as you say. Summer is when it counts and that remains to be seen.
I didn't mention those wins because I assumed that was the basis for the high ranking - I was countering that with the other results.

SHEEDY

Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2011, 07:47:03 PM
How about a neutral Point of view?

Tyrone
Derry
Armagh
Down
Donegal
Monaghan
Cavan
Antrim
Fermanagh
you obviously dont watch to much football if you think derry and armagh are ahead of down and donegal. unless your taking the piss
nil satis nisi optimum

Maguire01

Not clear either on the rationale for people having Cavan above Antrim; the former are the bottom of Division 3 and the latter at the bottom of Division 2.

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

redandblackareback

Quote from: Don Johnson on March 21, 2011, 06:25:59 PM
Would you have started this thread if Down hadn't been going so well lately?

By the way I'm Down as well.

Chill out ffs Don its created a discussion on a discussion page!! Imagine that eh??  :o

ross4life

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 21, 2011, 08:13:49 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 21, 2011, 07:47:03 PM
How about a neutral Point of view?

Tyrone
Derry
Armagh
Down
Donegal
Monaghan
Cavan
Antrim
Fermanagh
you obviously dont watch to much football if you think derry and armagh are ahead of down and donegal. unless your taking the piss

I watch plenty, i actually watched Down,Donegal win there Ulster titles in the Early 90s, yes Down had a good championship last year but people forget they haven't made a ulster final since 2003

I hope we get a new Ulster winner this year as no one wants to see two sides dominate a province like Armagh,Tyrone have.

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 21, 2011, 08:20:01 PM
Not clear either on the rationale for people having Cavan above Antrim; the former are the bottom of Division 3 and the latter at the bottom of Division 2.

Antrim are punching above their weight in Division 2 (much like us in 2008) both are really Div 3 teams & having seen both first hand i think Cavan are slightly better.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan have played 4/5 league games away,so its probably not a fair reflection.
Although i see your point,i wouldnt say there would be much of a difference in the two sides at the moment.
Antrim dont seem to be going well at all,which is suprising.

Poc me

I agree with the 3 tier system from earlier. Down and Tyrone are a class above the rest in my opinion. It is difficult to assess the others to be honest as they are pretty much all in transition. Down and Tyrone are the only two with a settled team. Armagh can't be judged without the Cross lads. Derry have so many lads out injured and Donegal are a young side but i think out of the second tier they have shown the most potential so far and look more capable of challenging for Ulster come the summer.

I don't really see how the Banty factor diminishes Monaghan's chances to be honest. He hardly won much with them. In championship he won nothing.

Antrim are better than Cavan and Fermanagh, but still don't think they are capable of getting a win in c'ship over the other 6.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: hardstation on March 22, 2011, 01:29:34 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 22, 2011, 01:23:53 PM

Cavan have played 4/5 league games away,so its probably not a fair reflection.
Although i see your point,i wouldnt say there would be much of a difference in the two sides at the moment.
Antrim dont seem to be going well at all,which is suprising.
I think there is a major gulf in class between Divisions 2 and 3.

There is a huge gulf in class no doubt.
On the otherhand,id be fairly confident Cavan wouldnt get turned over by 9/10 points at home against Sligo.
I could see why Antrim-heads would be aggrieved at being placed at number 8 in the Ulster pecking order.

haranguerer

donegal at 9/1 for ulster are a good bet imo. You couldnt rely on the hoors, but with tyrone and armagh slipping back, and down not convincing, they're well fit to beat any of them if they take the notion.

tonesfirstandlast

It has to be said that Ulster football is at its lowest ebb since the eighties!

Banana Man

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on March 22, 2011, 02:01:01 PM
It has to be said that Ulster football is at its lowest ebb since the eighties!

why does it have to be said??? that's a load of balls, so you are saying it was better in the eighties than it was in the ninties when the province won 4 all irelands to 0

PAULD123

For what its worth my opinion is:

1. Tyrone

2. Down-Armagh-Derry-Donegal

3. Monaghan-Antrim

4. Cavan-Fermanagh

I think in serious competition Antrim would run Monaghan close and that Derry, Donegal, Armagh and Down would regularly beat them both. I think Down are better than Armagh but on any given day Derry-Donegal-Down-Armagh could all beat each other.

But as everyone has said it all is decided on the day

DuffleKing

No Brains, he's saying it was brutal in the eighties and it's brutal now again