Casement Park set for €71m (£61.4m) redevelopment

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 11, 2011, 10:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/casement-park-set-for-euro71m-redevelopment-2575512.html

Not great news for Clones!  ::) That might not annoy many too badly though.. I'm happy that Casement is getting redeveloped (as I live in Belfast!) but I still think it lacks atmosphere (or the surrounding area) on match day. Great pitch though..

DuffleKing

All seater stadium would be some asset to the GAA in fairness. There will be non sporting events that Casement will be the only venue in the north capable of hosting - events that maybe even weren't possible in the wee six before

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Winnie Peg

Yes, the new Casement Park will be an impressive stadium for the GAA in the north but unfortunately will be another GAA white elephant to go along with all the other white elephants throughout the country and will be a constant financial strain to sustain it. It will never be full to capacity unless at a concert and will be an embarrassment at Antrim games as the customary 500 trek in, half of whom are on complimentary tickets.

Surely a smaller more compact stadium would have been more suitable with the remainder of the funding given to clubs to improve their facilities where they could be used constantly and not once a year.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 11, 2011, 10:13:11 AM

All seater stadium would be some asset to the GAA in fairness. There will be non sporting events that Casement will be the only venue in the north capable of hosting - events that maybe even weren't possible in the wee six before

Good point, and this is important to the GAA in this revenue declining era.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: armaghniac on March 11, 2011, 11:06:18 AM
What was wrong with the other thread?

Apologies, will lock thread to avoid further divergence.