Worst Job Ever?

Started by BarryBreensBandage, March 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Surely it's a source of income for the worker involved and his decision whether it's degrading.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 03:50:08 PM
Surely it's a source of income for the worker involved and his decision whether it's degrading.
Doesn't stop me being uncomfortable with it.
The one I'm talking about it's a girl of about 16/17 that does it. 
I'd never send a girl of that age out to hold a sign anywhere!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrones own

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 03:46:50 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 12:57:50 PM
You don't support businesses that employ people?
Not in that way, no. 

Why?
Because I feel bad for someone who has to do that. I see it as degrading. I'd bet they're not even getting minimum wage and I don't think it's necessary.  I don't think like people/companies who don't treat their staff right.  Like if I ran a business I'd never ask/expect someone to stand out holding a sign for it.
That's why you'll probably always be an employee...not that there's anything wrong with that, different strokes for different folks!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Aerlik on March 05, 2011, 02:55:47 AM
There was a doco on here a few weeks ago about an English fella who came out to Oz to live the dream only to discover it was a pipedream.  So he set up his own business in Perth cleaning up people's property after there was a murder/suicide or whatever in there.  Also had the 'contract' for cleaning up the mess of a suicide on the rail tracks in Perth.  No pun intended but he is making a killing as no-one else wants to do it.  Fair play to that man. ;)

I was on a call here in Florida in August 2009, the neighbors of this lady called us because they had not seen her in a month. As soon as we pulled up to the house you could get the smell of rotten flesh. We got the front door open and went inside, we found the lady in her bedroom with half her body already rotted away, the smell stuck with me for hours. The house was also full of cats that still looked well fed, we presumed they were eating their former owner prior to our arrival. I remember leaving the house and wondering what type of person in their right mind would have a job of cleaning that house up.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: thebigfella on March 04, 2011, 01:04:03 AM
Teacher? O yeah forgot they get in handy

But lots of us will be unemployed next September.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

The worst jobs are in the poorest parts of the world . But this must be one of the very worst. 

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main13.asp?filename=Cr073005Dont_look_at.asp

Condemned and mute, for centuries, they have been washing the clothes of the dalits, giving them haircuts, slaughtering dead cattle, and doing other menial jobs. To this day, they wash the bloodstained clothes of dalit women in labour, and the clothes of dalit girls who attain puberty. Worse, till a few decades ago, they were shunned as 'unseeables'. It was a curse to even 'look' at them. In those days, the Vannars had to complete their work in the night and stay out of sight of the other castes in the daytime.

If they ventured out during the day, they had to tie a coconut leaf to their body, which they pulled along wherever they went. The frond swept the ground and wiped out their footmarks. They could not even spit on the ground as the others did so routinely. Instead, they had to spit into a halved coconut shell, which hung from their necks. "This horrible practice had been in vogue for hundreds of years. It was the Justice Party that enacted a law abolishing it in 1932. Once declared illegal, the practice slowly faded out," says TM Prakash, a social activist working among Puthirai Vannars in the dalit-dominated Tiruvannamalai district. Not much headway has been made after that landmark social reform.

It is the traditional practice of Puthirai Vannars to go around the dalit homes, every morning and evening, begging for food. Rosamma from Cuddalore says, "We cry out standing outside the dalit houses, 'amma, soru podunga amma' (amma, please give some food.) They give us leftover food which we collect in a vessel." For many, it's a daily khichdi meal — of leftover food from dalit houses. Though in some villages this shameful practice has finally ended, in many others the tradition still continues.

http://www.tehelka.com/story_main13.asp?filename=Cr081305wretched_of.asp

In many villages, the Vannars cannot sit in front of a dalit. They are not allowed to take water from their street taps. "When there is a death in a dalit house, we have to perform special duties. We prepare the dead body and make the padai (burial cast). As people walk to the crematorium, we are required to spread sarees on the ground before them to walk on it. After the rituals are completed, we sit down wearing a white dhoti and the mourners drop coins on it," says Santhappan of Velankani Nagar in Tiruvannamalai district.

According to another tradition, the Vannars are required to carry the 'theepantham' (a flaming torch) during wedding processions. There is fire in their hand, and darkness within.

Those defying this ancient heirarchy are repressed ruthlessly. There have been instances when Vannars in some villages have refused to beg for food. But they have either been forced to fall in line or driven out of the village. Rosamma of Elanthapet village in Cuddalore district decided to stop this daily house-to-house begging for food, and instead started cooking food at home. But she was forced to go back after direct threats from dalits. "They forced me to eat the leftover food," she says.

All over the country, dalits suffer at the hands of upper caste people. As far as the Vannars are concerned, the same dalits are the perpetrators of atrocities against them. Irusan Ragupathi, state president of the Tamil Nadu Harijan Washermen Federation, a Puthirai Vannar outfit, talks of dalit atrocities. "In many villages in Senji taluk in Villupuram district, dalit men have raped our women, then they bear the cost of abortion and tell us to keep shut. The victimised women don't go to the police. There have been cases where dalit men have exploited our women when they go to get food from their houses."

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: illdecide on March 06, 2011, 02:54:16 PM
There is some stories told here FFS. Rats don't serve any purpose in treating sewage, thats what treatment works are for. Rats don't surge in Hundreds and crawl down men's boiler suits :D :D :D

Don't even know why i'm responding to that post...lol. Lar i can't believe you took that serious from someone :D

I smell a rat...
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Hardy

How do you slaughter dead cattle?

laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on March 06, 2011, 05:56:40 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 05, 2011, 10:52:12 AM
Quote from: mc_grens on March 04, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I think the lads holding up signs all day on Grafton St. have a pretty soul sucking job.
There's a girl holds up a sign on a main road near where I live for some sort of shop.
I can't think of anything worse and in the name of God what is the benefit for a business to pay someone to stand and hold a sign  ???
Minimum wage pay and it drives traffic to your place of business in droves
Why can't they put the sign up on a pole?
Maybe more people notice it if it's someone holding it but I highly doubt that there's enough sales generated from it to justify a person's wage. Like Puck, I would never go to a place that has someone doing that.

I put up signs for a business idea of mine before but got phonecalls off the council to tell me to take them down or I would be charged with littering.Maybe thats why they have someone holding it rather than nailing them to a wall or tying them to a lamp post.
I agree though I also wouldn't go into a shop that had someone out holding a placard advertising it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on March 06, 2011, 02:54:16 PM
There is some stories told here FFS. Rats don't serve any purpose in treating sewage, thats what treatment works are for. Rats don't surge in Hundreds and crawl down men's boiler suits :D :D :D

Don't even know why i'm responding to that post...lol. Lar i can't believe you took that serious from someone :D

Urban legend has it that when they were building the sewage works for Milton Keynes, they'd designed it to be rat free, but found that due to cooking fats and the likes it kept blocking up, so they ended up introducing rats to get it to work....

Eamonnca1

Anyone ever see a film called Pierrepoint, The Last Hangman? It's one of them films that has you thinking about it for weeks after seeing it. All about Albert Pierrepoint.

dillinger

My worst was killing and plucking turkeys at Christmas, yuk. We had a nikename for a friend who was a gravedigger, Clay Balls. Because he was always up to his balls in, well, clay. :D

rosnarun

Quote from: FL/MAYO on March 06, 2011, 07:26:44 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on March 05, 2011, 02:55:47 AM
There was a doco on here a few weeks ago about an English fella who came out to Oz to live the dream only to discover it was a pipedream.  So he set up his own business in Perth cleaning up people's property after there was a murder/suicide or whatever in there.  Also had the 'contract' for cleaning up the mess of a suicide on the rail tracks in Perth.  No pun intended but he is making a killing as no-one else wants to do it.  Fair play to that man. ;)

I was on a call here in Florida in August 2009, the neighbors of this lady called us because they had not seen her in a month. As soon as we pulled up to the house you could get the smell of rotten flesh. We got the front door open and went inside, we found the lady in her bedroom with half her body already rotted away, the smell stuck with me for hours. The house was also full of cats that still looked well fed, we presumed they were eating their former owner prior to our arrival. I remember leaving the house and wondering what type of person in their right mind would have a job of cleaning that house up.

winner
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere