What should Labour do?

Started by Maguire01, March 01, 2011, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Indeed but after all nobody in the general public seems interested unless it's a shinner. As I say people have every right to be angry at O'Snodaigh, but feigning outrage at him while actively ignoring things like the antics of Quinn, a state minister, makes it seem that people don't care about this sort of shit going on which is amazing considering our recent past.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Rossfan

Most people are totally media led nowadays.
They get upset about the things the media make a big issue out of. :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on February 29, 2012, 05:27:32 PM

The Irish media has not influenced me.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 29, 2012, 05:54:00 PM

The Irish media has not influenced me.
true your like a sow going to hoke ;)
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Nally Stand

Are people angry though or is it faux disgust? It seems to me that they are delighting in the O'Snodaigh story because he is a shinner and it seems that they don't care in the slightest about a government minister scamming ridiculous expenses. Hardly a mention of Ruairi Quinn over on p.ie but the "ink" thread is going strong for two days solid. Ditto this board....nobody seems to give a flying fcuk. Disgraceful and all as O'Snodaigh's action was, at least he wasn't motivated by personal gain. Quinn seems to have been milking the mileage expenses system for his own financial gain at the people's expense. FFesque yet nobody cares.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Nally, do you ever stop whinging?

Nally Stand

Think that post goes in the irony thread there hardy.

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 29, 2012, 11:11:32 PM

Are people angry though or is it faux disgust? It seems to me that they are delighting in the O'Snodaigh story because he is a shinner and it seems that they don't care in the slightest about a government minister scamming ridiculous expenses. Hardly a mention of Ruairi Quinn over on p.ie but the "ink" thread is going strong for two days solid. Ditto this board....nobody seems to give a flying fcuk. Disgraceful and all as O'Snodaigh's action was, at least he wasn't motivated by personal gain. Quinn seems to have been milking the mileage expenses system for his own financial gain at the people's expense. FFesque yet nobody cares.

Will SF sack him? Or will they just be like the rest and simply run with the hare this time?
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on March 01, 2012, 03:02:52 PM

Will SF sack him? Or will they just be like the rest and simply run with the hare this time?

Sack Ruairí Quinn? Well that's not SF's decision to make!

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 01, 2012, 03:40:29 PM

This episode hasn't been your finest hour Nally.

The Shinners never do defense well and you seem to epitomize the default strategy: attack, attack, attack;

Notably though Lawnseed has been good on this matter.
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on March 01, 2012, 05:38:19 PM

The Shinners never do defense well and you seem to epitomize the default strategy: attack, attack, attack;

I'm not one bit worried about how you rate my opinions on it to be honest! I could just as easily say that your lack of comment on Ruairi Quinn's...eh hem..interesting....expenses claims hasn't been your finest hour, because here was me thinking you would be one who would have criticised any TD who wasted taxpayers money. But hey, we can only attack shinners for that kinda thing so its OK.

As for my response, I have REPEATEDLY criticised A.O'S for all this, what more can I do? And what's wrong with pointing out what appears to be a more serious issue, which is the dishonest claiming of taxpayers money by a state minister for his own personal financial benefit?

seafoid

I think it's a big kerfuffle over nothing. O Snodaigh is one of the best politicians in DE. Last month they were attacking the Taoiseach for acting the eeejit with Sarko. It's all a circus.

I'd be far more concerned about  putting Lucinda Creighton in front of the international media TBH.  ;D

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Then again Lawnseed seems like an affable chap that may some day grow out of this silly little extremists whack job fascination. Nally seems to have rocked too hard and is forever lost to the madness.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trileacman

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 01, 2012, 05:58:42 PM

I'm not one bit worried about how you rate my opinions on it to be honest! I could just as easily say that your lack of comment on Ruairi Quinn's...eh hem..interesting....expenses claims hasn't been your finest hour, because here was me thinking you would be one who would have criticised any TD who wasted taxpayers money. But hey, we can only attack shinners for that kinda thing so its OK.

As for my response, I have REPEATEDLY criticised A.O'S for all this, what more can I do? And what's wrong with pointing out what appears to be a more serious issue, which is the dishonest claiming of taxpayers money by a state minister for his own personal financial benefit?

If Quinn's actions are so abhorrent Nally, then why don't SF dismiss O'Snod and hence put the pressure on FG to follow suit?

I mean if SF are morally superior here why don't they lead the way and dish out some discipline?

Or is the excuse simply that if the blue shirts don't have to do it then neither do we.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Nally Stand

Quote from: trileacman on March 01, 2012, 08:06:56 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 01, 2012, 05:58:42 PM

If Quinn's actions are so abhorrent Nally, then why don't SF dismiss O'Snod and hence put the pressure on FG to follow suit?

I mean if SF are morally superior here why don't they lead the way and dish out some discipline?

Or is the excuse simply that if the blue shirts don't have to do it then neither do we.

Well as I said, stupid and all as O'Snodaigh was, he did not do what he did for his own financial benefit, as even a FG TD basically accepted yesterday. Quinn appears to have grossly overstated his mileage expenses in an attempt to scam taxpayers money for his own financial benefit, and he is a government minister. Hardly like-for-like is it.

Furthermore, I keep mentioning Quinn for the simple reason that it shows how little people really care. Happy to have a pop at O'S cos he's a shinner, but wholly disinterested at the apparent lying for financial benefit by a government minister.