Down V Armagh - Newry 26th Feb

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2011, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 24, 2011, 09:39:21 AM
I can't see how anyone thinks Armagh has better players - Hello 4 All Stars? and another 3 All star nominations, and McKernan was clearly robbed of one. Who are all these Armagh players that are better than Dan Gordon, Benny Coulter, Marty Clarke, Danny Hughes, Brendan McVeigh, Kevin McKernan, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney?

Not that it matters but just so you're aware - there are way more all stars & nominations in the armagh squad than the down one.
Off the top of my head, andy mallon 1 all star and multiple nominations, ciaran mckeever multiple nominations, Hearty multiple nominations, ak ypoty and multiple nominations, brian mallon multiple nominations, stevie poty countless nominations and (3?) awards, r clarke ypoty, countless nominations and 2 all stars.

orchard 8195

I can't see how anyone thinks Armagh has better players - Hello 4 All Stars? and another 3 All star nominations, and McKernan was clearly robbed of one. Who are all these Armagh players that are better than Dan Gordon, Benny Coulter, Marty Clarke, Danny Hughes, Brendan McVeigh, Kevin McKernan, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney?

Dan Gordan has been playing full back, Not in same league as brendy donaghy in this position, Benny Coulter, Hughes and Clarke (Who i think is a bit overated) yes would def get onto most teams in the country, McVeigh is of similar ability to Hearty, Kevin McKernan is excellant going forward and would make it onto our half backline Although his defensive capabilities are suspect when playing from 5-7 (Remember he was dropped for a period for down last year mainly because of this) Garvey and Rooney are not better than what we have at our disposal in the backline.
Just my opinion and this hasnt been tainted by a major Down dislikening like many in my county have as i reserve this for our red hand neighbours!!! ;)

redandblackareback

Quote from: orchard 8195 on February 24, 2011, 12:24:39 PM

Dan Gordan has been playing full back, Not in same league as brendy donaghy in this position, Benny Coulter, Hughes and Clarke (Who i think is a bit overated) yes would def get onto most teams in the country, McVeigh is of similar ability to Hearty, Kevin McKernan is excellant going forward and would make it onto our half backline Although his defensive capabilities are suspect when playing from 5-7 (Remember he was dropped for a period for down last year mainly because of this) Garvey and Rooney are not better than what we have at our disposal in the backline.
Just my opinion and this hasnt been tainted by a major Down dislikening like many in my county have as i reserve this for our red hand neighbours!!! ;)

Dont disagree with you on Donaghy, a class act, if we had him last year we would have won the all ireland no doubt about it. Think your way of the mark with the Clarke overrated statement if you watch closely everything goes through him, everything down do welll he s involved. Hearty for me is a pudding no offence and last year was mc veighs best year in a Down shirt. As regards Garvey, he is an excellant man marking and proved this last year on route to the final. Saturday will be tough for Armagh but right now I personally believe we have one of the best forward lines in Ireland, a big statement but statistics dont lie, 3 of the 6 all stars last year.

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2011, 11:08:55 AM
If the aristocrat All-Ireland finalists cannot beat an understrength relegation candidate team like Armagh at home, it would be a real shock. We are only going along to get a chance to do a bit of shopping in Newry, and amaze at the greatness of Down, winners of the 2008 Dr McKenna cup and many other achievements.

Lol. Yes, lets not lower this debate by talking about football.  Shopping is my favourite pastime too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

whitegoodman

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 24, 2011, 11:13:08 AM

Not that it matters but just so you're aware - there are way more all stars & nominations in the armagh squad than the down one.
Off the top of my head, andy mallon 1 all star and multiple nominations, ciaran mckeever multiple nominations, Hearty multiple nominations, ak ypoty and multiple nominations, brian mallon multiple nominations, stevie poty countless nominations and (3?) awards, r clarke ypoty, countless nominations and 2 all stars.

Its good to see this threat is getting a bit more lively.

Hearty or Brian Mallon havent shown all star nomination form since jesus was a wee lad!!!

From the Armagh team that is likely to start on Saturday night id take Andy Mallon, Donaghy, McKeever and Stevie.  Yas can keep the rest along with Paddy!

mackers

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 24, 2011, 01:07:40 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on February 24, 2011, 11:13:08 AM

Its good to see this threat is getting a bit more lively.

Hearty or Brian Mallon havent shown all star nomination form since jesus was a wee lad!!!

From the Armagh team that is likely to start on Saturday night id take Andy Mallon, Donaghy, McKeever and Stevie.  Yas can keep the rest along with Paddy!
All Stars are a load of crap and this we have more All Stars than you is childish rubbish. Your AllStars are a reflection on an excellent run in the championship last year and nothing more. Up to that point Down hadn't even an All Star nomination in their team (and it didn't do ye any harm last year).
For the record the only Down players I would take is Danny Hughes, Martin Clarke and Benny Coulter. Down can keep the rest......... :P
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

DuffleKing

Combined 15 (with everyone fit):

McVeigh

Mallon
Donaghy
Rafferty

Dyas
McKeever
Garvey

Toner
Rogers

Hughes
Clarke
Coulter

Clarke
Clarke
McDonnell

redandblackareback

[/quote]
All Stars are a load of crap and this we have more All Stars than you is childish rubbish. Your AllStars are a reflection on an excellent run in the championship last year and nothing more. Up to that point Down hadn't even an All Star nomination in their team (and it didn't do ye any harm last year).
For the record the only Down players I would take is Danny Hughes, Martin Clarke and Benny Coulter. Down can keep the rest......... :P
[/quote]

If those 3 play well at all on Saturday night it ll be a 7/8 point comfortable victory. End of story  ;)

balladmaker

QuoteIf those 3 play well at all on Saturday night it ll be a 7/8 point comfortable victory. End of story 

What silverware do you base that on?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 24, 2011, 02:01:21 PM

If those 3 play well at all on Saturday night it ll be a 7/8 point comfortable victory. End of story  ;)
Good to see aristocratic confidence for what will be your lot's second biggest game of the year  :P
I'm hoping/expecting memories of last year to influence Armagh's attitude going into this game. Ciaran McKeever will be well fired up, presumably he will pick up Clarke, and with a point to prove will spur on his team mates. They'll need to be top of their games to cope with Down's firepower up front. If McKeever can stop Clarke's influence then IMO favour will swing towards Armagh, with McDonnell and Nippy in good form I would expect a 1-2 point victory.

thewobbler

I'll spin this combined teams thing another way.

The only Armagh players who would significantly improve the Down team are Donaghy and McKeever.

This isn't to say I don't rate the rest of Armagh's players - Stevie McD is one of the best players I've seen, Mallon and Toner are quality, Jamie Clarke looks a great prospect - but more to do with the fact that Down wouldn't become more freescoring with the addition of any Armagh forwards. Maybe a point or two here or there, that's all... i.e. no significant improvement.

In return, any three of M Clarke, Poland, Hughes, Coulter and Maginn would dramatically improve Armagh's half-forward line, Rogers is the best midfielder out of all on show, and McKernan would add a welcome dash of class to their team.

PAULD123

If we're still talking fantasy improvements to our forward line, let's see - How about swapping John Clarke for Stevie Mac? Yeah maybe just about go for that by a hair's breadth. ;) 

But Seriously - If we could have Donaghy, then that just releases Gordon to Midfield where he is easily better than anything Armagh have. Still think he should play there for us.

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on February 24, 2011, 02:20:12 PM
I'll spin this combined teams thing another way.

The only Armagh players who would significantly improve the Down team are Donaghy and McKeever.

This isn't to say I don't rate the rest of Armagh's players - Stevie McD is one of the best players I've seen, Mallon and Toner are quality, Jamie Clarke looks a great prospect - but more to do with the fact that Down wouldn't become more freescoring with the addition of any Armagh forwards. Maybe a point or two here or there, that's all... i.e. no significant improvement.

In return, any three of M Clarke, Poland, Hughes, Coulter and Maginn would dramatically improve Armagh's half-forward line, Rogers is the best midfielder out of all on show, and McKernan would add a welcome dash of class to their team.

And the only players who would significantly improve Armagh are Coulter & Clarke - and to a lesser extent Hughes.

The other half forwards you name - including McKernan who would not be entertained as a defender in armagh - are no better / not as good as what we have.

We could actually ship you a load of defenders from beyond our panel who would start for down. McKernan and Gordan are laughably bad defenders and McCartan & Rooney are very average - all four protected by the system.

bridgegael

anyone know of any bars in derry city to catch the match on sat night.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Ethan Tremblay

Intresting debate going on here! Imo both teams are equal in terms of squad quality, a think posters are mistakeing bothg teams achilles heel's for bad players!  Honestly at the moment down would have the pick of the players (Clarke and Coulter would walk onto any county setup) but armagh always have that resilience to grind out results when they need to.  Hopefully it will set the stage for the real contest come the summer. 

Armagh to steal it at the death ;)
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...