Massive Cyclone to hit Australia

Started by whiskeysteve, February 02, 2011, 09:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Force 5 cyclone due to hit land at 12pm our time. Queensland, of all places which has already experienced a huge crisis with the floods in recent weeks. Cairns and Brisbane listed as a couple of places in danger, all told apparently 400,000 people live in its path and with the amount of Irish over these days this story strikes closer to home.

Hope the resident GAAboarders are out of harms way?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12342031

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

stephenite

We had the hottest night in Sydney in 38 odd years last night and I'm still melting-crazy country.

Carmen Stateside

God bless all in its path.  What would the main news station in Austrailia be? looking for live coverage if any about.

stiffler

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on February 02, 2011, 10:55:52 AM
God bless all in its path.  What would the main news station in Austrailia be? looking for live coverage if any about.

try channel 7 or channel 9.

What was the temperature in sydney?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

stephenite

Try ninemsn.com.au, it's far from the best news site but should have live coverage, might be a bit tabloid-esque.

To the first post-Brisbane shouldn't see too much cyclone activity

stephenite

Stifler-it didn't get below 34 in my area last night

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: stephenite on February 02, 2011, 11:02:26 AM
Try ninemsn.com.au, it's far from the best news site but should have live coverage, might be a bit tabloid-esque.

To the first post-Brisbane shouldn't see too much cyclone activity

Thanks.

Carmen Stateside

Just watching them turn a few old people away from a shelter because it was full.  The reporter asked one of them were they intend going now and the reply was back home. Scary sad stuff.
Must be hard for the people leaving for the shelters knowing that they wont have a house when they get back.

stephenite

Scary and sad indeed, I'd be amazed if there isn't loss of life

Carmen Stateside

With winds of 290 kph/180mph at the heart of the storm cant see much surviving be it people property or pets.

stiffler

Quote from: stephenite on February 02, 2011, 11:05:00 AM
Stifler-it didn't get below 34 in my area last night

thats mental. air con to the max!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

mick999

armaghniac

Reports on ABC seem to suggest that it was bad, but could have been worse.
Now downgraded to Category 4. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

andoireabu

the sister landed in Cairns last thursday and she said she was told by local authorities the other day that it would be better if she went somewhere else.  said a lot of locals are heading to safer areas and she managed to get to melbourne.  best of luck to all out there, australia are getting it rough at the min
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!