Norn Iron Local Saccer - What is the point?

Started by Feckitt, January 16, 2011, 12:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

From the Daily Mirror :D

Lisburn Distillery chairman Bobby Hanna is demanding the IFA review the fees commanded by Irish League referees.
Hanna revealed that the gate for Tuesday nights Co-op Insurance cup quarter final with Newry City was a paltry £795.  He claims the fees and expenses for the four match officials totalled £465 plus VAT.  Following further deductions including ambulance medical provision, Distillery & Newry shared£68.
"We have played three rounds in this competition.  We got nothing from our round with Armagh City, £38 from the Institute game, and now £34 from this game."  "Clubs cannot be expected ot survive when you look at what we pay out to officials"

Jesus H Christ, Why O Why O Why do BBC NI, UTV, Radio Ulster, The Belfast Telegraph & The Daily Mirror continue to give blanket coverage to these Mickey Mouse clubs and their crappy wee competitions that no -one goes to.
Enough is Enough, at Pairc Esler last night the stand was full, and a good crowd on the far side for a warm up competition in the pouring rain, but if 35 people turn up next Wednesday night to see the neighbours play some other crappy saccer team, you can guarantee they will get more coverage.  There is more people on the pitch than there are in the stands at some local soccer matches. 
From now on if Newry v Distillery is being reported on the news, then I want to know why the likes of Dorsey v Forkhill, or Drumgath v Shamrocks is not being reported on the same bulletin.  I've had enough of GAA not being given fair play.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Feckitt on January 16, 2011, 12:21:44 PM

Lisburn Distillery chairman Bobby Hanna is demanding the IFA review the fees commanded by Irish League referees.
Hanna revealed that the gate for Tuesday nights Co-op Insurance cup quarter final with Newry City was a paltry £795.  He claims the fees and expenses for the four match officials totalled £465 plus VAT.  Following further deductions including ambulance medical provision, Distillery & Newry shared£68.
"We have played three rounds in this competition.  We got nothing from our round with Armagh City, £38 from the Institute game, and now £34 from this game."  "Clubs cannot be expected ot survive when you look at what we pay out to officials"
It funny that he sees that as the problem. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Feckitt on January 16, 2011, 12:21:44 PM

Jesus H Christ, Why O Why O Why do BBC NI, UTV, Radio Ulster, The Belfast Telegraph & The Daily Mirror continue to give blanket coverage to these Mickey Mouse clubs and their crappy wee competitions that no -one goes to.
Enough is Enough, at Pairc Esler last night the stand was full, and a good crowd on the far side for a warm up competition in the pouring rain, but if 35 people turn up next Wednesday night to see the neighbours play some other crappy saccer team, you can guarantee they will get more coverage.  There is more people on the pitch than there are in the stands at some local soccer matches. 
From now on if Newry v Distillery is being reported on the news, then I want to know why the likes of Dorsey v Forkhill, or Drumgath v Shamrocks is not being reported on the same bulletin.  I've had enough of GAA not being given fair play.

Surely there is enough suffering in the world?!

Its sad that local soccer struggles to this degree but certainly referees aren't the problem. I think that BBCNI has a duty to promote these matches to some extent regardless of their relative unpopularity but I agree that similar principles should apply to the GAA.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Minder

When is this "blanket coverage" you speak of? Ten minutes on a Saturday evening?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

Why would anyone buy the Belfast Telegraph or Daily Mirror?

Maguire01

haranguerer

:D brilliant - the same clown called it too. You could see the commentator realising...

Arthur_Friend

If soccer fans from Ireland actually supported local teams instead of English teams then perhaps it wouldn't be such a pile of shite.

Last time I was in the Bot during a game there were a lot of Londoners in there....

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: haranguerer on January 16, 2011, 02:51:05 PM
:D brilliant - the same clown called it too. You could see the commentator realising...

Happened to be watching it live and caught it straight away that the clampit had called out the wrong number for the ball he was holding!!!

What a complete useless hoor I thought and began laughing as I knew it was going to cause confusion.  The look of horror of Jackie Fullofhimself face was priceless  :D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Minder on January 16, 2011, 01:08:27 PM
When is this "blanket coverage" you speak of? Ten minutes on a Saturday evening?

Every Saturday afternoon there's a live commentary and updates from all the grounds. Its absolutely dire to listen to the BBC commentators trying to make exciting.
Careful now

thewobbler

NI soccer suffers from the same problem as the NI Civil Service.

It is hugely bloated, and full of people who refuse to accept otherwise. There is a culture of wastage and a culture of blame. There is little to encourage the bright young things of the world into it, and even when that happens, they're quickly brought down to earth until they just give up and go along with the status quo.

Bribery and corruption are commonplace, and politicians/community leaders are afraid to highlight this in case there is a backlash against them from those involved.

The BBC thing is a bit of an old boy's club. Everyone involved knows that they're taking the piss by providing the coverage they do, but the alternative means no work for those involved. And wouldn't you rather get paid for having a laugh than not paid at all?

If the IL was even halfway serious about standards and development, they'd have a maximum of 10 senior teams, and absolutely enforce a youth team system built around local areas. But they never will.

stiffler

Quote from: thewobbler on January 16, 2011, 07:42:02 PM

It is hugely bloated, and full of people who refuse to accept otherwise. There is a culture of wastage and a culture of blame. There is little to encourage the bright young things of the world into it, and even when that happens, they're quickly brought down to earth until they just give up and go along with the status quo.

Bribery and corruption are commonplace, and politicians/community leaders are afraid to highlight this in case there is a backlash against them from those involved.

The BBC thing is a bit of an old boy's club. Everyone involved knows that they're taking the piss by providing the coverage they do, but the alternative means no work for those involved. And wouldn't you rather get paid for having a laugh than not paid at all?

If the IL was even halfway serious about standards and development, they'd have a maximum of 10 senior teams, and absolutely enforce a youth team system built around local areas. But they never will.

An all ireland league is the only way forward for an island of this size, but for a few dinosaurs this would be a reality.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Maguire01

Quote from: stiffler on January 16, 2011, 08:06:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 16, 2011, 07:42:02 PM

An all ireland league is the only way forward for an island of this size, but for a few dinosaurs this would be a reality.
Even an all-Ireland league would be sub standard with minimal interest.

5 Sams

I really dont know how Newry Town or any other small to medium sized club in the "Irish" league survive....they obviously have a squad of at least 22 players...(correct me if I'm wrong) all of whom are getting paid???

Where do they get their money from? Gate receipts obviously arent even covering the electricty bill.

The Aristocrat Years

Niall Quinn

It has its moments - just try and keep up with the second half play here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48a6MDmCBM
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad