Fermanagh
Donegal
Monaghan
Cavan
Queen's University
Jordanstown University
St.Mary's University

ck

Just saw that all the McKenna cup games have been called off. So who will win the thing anyway? Here are my thoughts for what it's worth;

ANTRIM: Probably Bakers last year. Will most likely not try out many new faces and has the St.Galls boys.
ARMAGH: I think O'Rourke is a man under pressure. Fell flat on his face last years in c/ship. Has a few new lads in. My predicted winners!
CAVAN: Val Andrews talks a good game but that's about it IMO. Another year in the doldrums.
DERRY: The team with huge potential but will probably take time to find their feet with new manager.
DONEGAL: McGuinness has said he wants to win the McKenna cup! (Why?) Has brought in loads of U.21's. Too many too soon IMO.
DOWN: Huge year in 2010 so 2011 can only be worse? McCartan continues to play everything down (Getting boring now). Slow starters in McKenna cup after big year last year.
FERMANAGH: 2nd worst team in Ulster now to Cavan? McKenna cup will provide better opposition that Div.4. O'Neill to stop the 2010 rot! 2011 big year.
MONAGHAN: Promising much for years and now Bantyless. Let the predicted decline commence.
TYRONE: Harte continues to put emphasis on this competition. Beaten finalists in McKenna cup.
QUEEN'S: Finalists a few years back but lean years since. Last year they looked poor (Saw them V Derry) but O'Rourke will have learned from last year.
UUJ: Always strong and have a very good manager in McGuckian. Will not be far away.
St.MARYS: Pat Tally will have them in shape. Won't win much but will tighten the best of them

ck

ps: Don't like the Wednesday night games. Ex pats like myself struggle to make it home mid week for games.

Maguire01

Pointless trying to predict the winners given that the squads are largely unknown. 17 new players in the Monaghan squad - just 2 who started last year's Ulster Final. Even if Monaghan are hammered in their 3 McKenna Cup games, it will mean little.

Having said that, any county who decided to take the competition seriously, rather than trying to blood new players, should win it.

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 09, 2011, 02:55:30 PM
Pointless trying to predict the winners given that the squads are largely unknown. 17 new players in the Monaghan squad - just 2 who started last year's Ulster Final. Even if Monaghan are hammered in their 3 McKenna Cup games, it will mean little.

Having said that, any county who decided to take the competition seriously, rather than trying to blood new players, should win it.

Predicting the winner is just a bit of craic especially when you note how differently each county takes it. Totally agree, those counties who do not experiement will suffer long term. The fact that Monaghan have 17 new players in is a good thing but also shows how badly they need new blood.
As mentioned above I predict Armagh given what I have just mentioned. Donegal will push on too and Tyrone will always be there or thereabouts.

you take er!

I only read your comment about Armagh...how can you say P. O'Rourke is under pressure?? Ok a heavey defeat to Monaghan but the margin of defeat tells me that this was a one off. Still a team finding itself, winning div 2 and a couple of good championship performances wasn't too bad. definately looking to improve on that but would not say he is under pressure.

Uladh

I'd say por is under pressure from those whose opinion matters most

Breffni_Yank

Except Cavan  ;D

put-it-up-again

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on January 10, 2011, 01:10:30 PM

Except Cavan  ;D

Good and positive from the start BY, fair play!

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: put-it-up-again on January 10, 2011, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on January 10, 2011, 01:10:30 PM

If we go into the year with no hopes, I can't get disappointed.
Except Cavan  ;D

Good and positive from the start BY, fair play!

ck

Quote from: you take er! on January 09, 2011, 10:54:07 PM
I only read your comment about Armagh...how can you say P. O'Rourke is under pressure?? Ok a heavey defeat to Monaghan but the margin of defeat tells me that this was a one off. Still a team finding itself, winning div 2 and a couple of good championship performances wasn't too bad. definately looking to improve on that but would not say he is under pressure.

O'Rourke has always been under pressure given the way he took the job and the fact that he is from Down. Last year was a bit of a flop, if it's another flop in 2011 then he's gone. That's a man under pressure!

ck

Quite a few people opting for St.Mary's. Are they strong this year? I know they are managed by Paddy Tally but have they any big names?

ck

Only 37 votes. Is there only 37 people of these boards regularly? or just no-one could be arsed?

lawnseed

hard to get excited about the mckenna cup ck as maguire says the teams bare no resemblence to the teams that will field in the championship. or even the league. the mckenna cup used to be a great competition when it was a sort of dry run for the championship that you could go to without all the ticket hassel and it was a cheap outing now its a waste of money.
IOM paddy o rourke is under pressure hes brought nothing new and is simply a copy of peter mcdonnell. i'd rather see armagh getting well beat playing football than see them getting beat by a point playing this bastardised rugby (back passing) that their at. i'm by no means a joe fan but since he was sacked (and he was) armagh are unwatchable.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mylestheslasher

I think cavan are certs and will give Derry s good hiding on Saturday.

Gaabellting

Cant agree with you there Myles as feel Derry are one of the bets of the weekend @ 8/11 to turn over Cavan in brefni Park.  With Paddy bradley back i dont see the Cavan backs being able to keep the Derry forwards to a low enough score to win the match and think that Derrys physicality will win out overall. You seem to have a good few players tied up with the colleges aswell. Derry had a decent win over Antrim in a challenge last weekend and i feel that should stand to them at this early stage of the season.

Also feel Antrim will have too much for St Marys and they are another team which i will be having a punt on.

Interesting to hear peoples views on the matches or does anyone have an idea as to what strength of side the various teams will be putting out????