Sean Óg not part of Denis Walsh's plans

Started by heffo, October 18, 2010, 01:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Strike averted...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/sean-og-time-to-move-on-486439.html

Seán Óg: Time to move on

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 07:51 AM

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín says he is coming to terms with the end of his 14-year Cork senior hurling career and that he has departed the inter-county game content with the contribution he has made.

Rebels boss Denis Walsh axed Ó'hAilpín from his squad for the 2011 season in October, a decision which provoked a strong reaction on Leeside but the 34 year-old is determined to move on and focus on other areas of his life.

"I think it's no hidden secret now, I'm not going to be involved next year. Whether I agree with it or not, I just have to accept it and move on. Once I know in my own head that it wasn't me that pulled the plug on it, I'll move on. Look, that was in October, it's December now and life is moving on for Sean Óg.

"You'd look back and wonder did you make a contribution because it's a team sport, it's not an individual sport. And I'm happy enough that I did make a contribution. So I'll walk away happy. I saw it as a job but it was a labour of love and I got great enjoyment out of it. The 14 years did go by fairly quickly. But if I had another 14 years, I'd do it all over again.

"I'll look forward to the other parts of life that will probably open up for me now. I look forward to spending time with the people who have suffered because of my intercounty career. My girlfriend Siobhán has put up with a lot and stuck with me through thick and thin. For once this year we can plan a holiday and actually go away, and not have to think about bringing boots or runners to do a bit of training. As regards work as well, Ulster Bank have been great employers the last number of years, so I owe it to them now to get back to normality and start putting in the hours that are required there."

Ó'hAilpín's exit was swiftly followed by the departure of his younger brother Aisake, who has returned to Australia and linked up with Melbourne District League outfit Maribyrnong Park.

Sean Óg, who was speaking yesterday in the Ambassador Hotel in Cork where he received the Northside City and District Sport Award for December, revealed that Aisake is relishing his second stint as an Australian Rules player.

"He's flying it. It couldn't be going better for him now. He's in Australia, signed up with a Division 2 side. He's working away. It was 30 degrees when I was talking to him now over the weekend and he was going to St Kilda beach. Look, he's happy."

orangeman

Here we go :

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín is open to playing for the Cork hurlers again, but only if current manager Denis Walsh is not involved.

The 34-year-old Na Piarsaigh star was controversially axed from the panel by Walsh in October last year.

Walsh's three-year term as Cork manager came to an end after their 2-23 to 1-14 Championship qualifier defeat to Galway. Walsh subsequently said he would wait to assess the mood in the county before deciding on whether to seek to continue.

O hAilpín told Newstalk on Monday: "Look, I'd love to get back. My body is in good shape still. I still feel I can offer something and it all depends on a new manager coming in.

"The last thing I want is a witch hunt. It depends on the next manager coming in. If he does happen to give me a ring, I'll sit down and talk to him, but I just want to leave it at that and not make a big hullabaloo."

jas376

Is this last post for the visually impaired?

Minder

The last thing Sean Og would want is a "hullabaloo', absolutely not.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2011, 02:23:36 PM
Here we go :

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín is open to playing for the Cork hurlers again, but only if current manager Denis Walsh is not involved.

The 34-year-old Na Piarsaigh star was controversially axed from the panel by Walsh in October last year.

Walsh's three-year term as Cork manager came to an end after their 2-23 to 1-14 Championship qualifier defeat to Galway. Walsh subsequently said he would wait to assess the mood in the county before deciding on whether to seek to continue.

O hAilpín told Newstalk on Monday: "Look, I'd love to get back. My body is in good shape still. I still feel I can offer something and it all depends on a new manager coming in.

"The last thing I want is a witch hunt. It depends on the next manager coming in. If he does happen to give me a ring, I'll sit down and talk to him, but I just want to leave it at that and not make a big hullabaloo."

Where does O Halpin say he would only come back if a new manager came in? He just says he is still open to the idea of playing for Cork if a new manager were to ask him. Obviously he knows that Walsh, in the unlikely event that he is kept on, won't come calling. I don't think Sean Og would be any addition to the Cork panel at this point but I can't see anything wrong with what he said. The only story here is how quick some people are to have a go at Sean Og no matter what he says.

Stevie g 8

it,s just pay back by sean og,he was treated badly in the way it was made public and now he,s twisting the knife on denis walshe

heffo

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2011, 07:11:50 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2011, 02:23:36 PM
Here we go :

Where does O Halpin say he would only come back if a new manager came in? He just says he is still open to the idea of playing for Cork if a new manager were to ask him. Obviously he knows that Walsh, in the unlikely event that he is kept on, won't come calling. I don't think Sean Og would be any addition to the Cork panel at this point but I can't see anything wrong with what he said. The only story here is how quick some people are to have a go at Sean Og no matter what he says.

This is press release # 6 on the topic.

If he had any class at all, he would've left it alone after the first one.

johnneycool

You can't keep a good man down.

Personally I think he's touched to the point of obsession and I hope he does himself justice even though i think his best days are behind him.

Sean Og recalled by Cork
15 October 2011

Cork's Sean Og O'hAilpin
New Cork manager Jimmy Barry Murphy has recalled Sean Og O hAilpin to the county's senior hurling panel.

The 2005 All-Ireland winning captain was sensationally dropped from the squad by previous manager Denis Walsh 12-months ago and saw no league or championship action during 2011

The panel does not include Jerry O'Connor, who has retired or Kieran Murphy who has work commitments. New faces include Na Piarsaigh clubman Chris Joyce and Kilbrittain's Ross Cashman

Reillers

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cicfada

Jerry O Connor  was a  great servant to Cork! It was sad to see him come off the field against galway and point down to his legs and cross his hands back and forth as he was saying that his legs were gone! a great engine on him in his day and himself and Tom Kenny were a great midfield!! As for Sean Og, it is only the training panel he is back on though I would say that he will be back on the full one as well soon! I don't know what it says about Cork really!! I mean there is talent there coming through but there are still too many old lads being kept on! too many lads that have the tippy tappy game as part of their DNA and will not change! When  you look at the Under 21 team that played against Limerick there is talent in the county! Cahalane, Coughlan, Lehane, Walsh Dillion etc! I wonder why Aidan Walsh is not throwing his lot in with the hurlers, is it a statement in his faith in the hurlers chances I wonder! he is a much better hurler than footballer in that he does not  have to use his feet in the hurling! He has great hands and  uses them  to great effect in the hurling! His hand to eye coordination is fabulous but watch him in the football and he is as liable to kick the ball to the corner flag as over the bar  as his kicking is very inconsistent!! It's a pity for Cork hurling  that he will not play, a huge loss for sure!! Still though the return of JBM has given people here a huge lift!! His team selections in the League will be interesting! at least the return of Sean Og will put an end to the endless stream of interviews where he was saying that he was over his demotion from the panel! talk about tearing the arse out of it!!

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on October 15, 2011, 10:23:45 PM
How about a word for Jerry O Connor?  ::)

class act - sad to see him go -

great to see Sean Óg back on the panel. Another one of JBM's gambles.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on October 15, 2011, 10:23:45 PM
How about a word for Jerry O Connor?  ::)

Start the ball rolling.

PS, you never gave us your promised post-championship breakdown of your Hurling 'rankings'.

stevetharlear

Quote from: cicfada on October 15, 2011, 11:20:17 PM
he is a much better hurler than footballer in that he does not  have to use his feet in the hurling! He has great hands and  uses them  to great effect in the hurling!
See people say this having seen him play once in the U21 Munster final, where he was outstanding. If people saw him in the county championship they wouldn't be half as glowing in their praise of him as a hurler. Leave him stick to the football and come hurling when he's ready, he has a long way to go before he can be thrown in on the likes of a Tommy Walsh.

Best of luck to Jerry O Connor, ex-HOTY, Cork legend, enough said.

cicfada

I based my assessment on Walsh also on the u21 semifinal against Tipp, granted that his shooting was poor that evening but his catching of the ball, a priceless commodity these days was exceptional! If his time was solely devoted to hurling then his consistency would improve as well though I suspect that the pull between football and hurling will be there for a long time!