anyone else shouting at the tv at rte's coverage of the hurling?

Started by swagger, September 06, 2010, 02:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 05:22:04 PM
Hardy
QuoteAs someone who supports the regeneration of Irish
How would you support the regeneration ? You are not happy with the way it is being taught, when something is done you call it tokenism, you say not enough is being done by the heads in the GAA.

See my immediately previous post. If the GAA is not just pulling our legs about promoting Irish, don't you think that Irish lessons/courses in clubs would be the very basic starting point?

Do you support the regeneration of Irish the same way I support my English soccer team; from afar and half arsed !

Pretty much. No defence offered, except to say that at least I'm not pretending to be promoting Irish by engaging in eyewash and codswallop.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 03:20:24 PM
It's just another piece of codology. This sort of shite allows GAA HQ to claim it's fulfilling its remit of promoting Irish by insisting on a clause in the RTÉ contract that the minor finals (and only the minor finals) be covered in Irish (and in Irish only).  Never mind that it's using the same compulsion that has almost killed the language. You'll learn Irish in school if we have to bate it into you and you'll watch the minor final in Irish whether you like it or not and whether you understand it or not. Do they not grasp the stupidity of making people resent the language as a pretence of promoting it and, in the same move losing 80%+ of the audience for underage football on the only occasion when it appears on TV? Of course they do, but they don't give a shite.

This is the same "policy" of language promotion that brings you a few phrases at the start of every GAA speech in pidgin Irish, the insistence on using the Irish language names of counties in passages of English and, of course, the tour de force that will have us all speaking the sweetest Irish within a generation - the insistence on the ludicrous "translation" of people's names into imaginary Irish versions. This is promoting Irish? Is it not just making a laughing stock of it?

Wrote from a totally negative view of all efforts to give any promotion to the Irish language, blame it all on it being forced and shoved in your face. Blame the language dying out on the method it is being taught. So it would be better to have some programme in Irish on at a time and place that will be out of earshot of all ? Not everyone dislikes the minor commentry in Irish ! You either have an association that stands for something or you purely have a sports organisation that caters to the elite footballers and hurlers.

You have the imaginary surnames thing a bit back to front, albeit in a more historical way than you were referring to, as many original Irish surnames were translated to English surnames that sounded similar etc.

What's the Irish for Moses Muzalewa? Piotr Crzewinski? Are we going to attract immigrant kids to the sport by starting off by telling them their names don't match up to our racial purity requirements? You can't be on our team because we don't like your name.

John Power is John Power and Sean Óg de Paor is not. If Jack Stack's parents had meant to call him Sean de Staic, they'd have put that on his birth cert., same as Aodán Mac Gearailt's put what they meant on his. When Mickey Black goes to Germany, he doesn't expect people to start calling him Mikel Schwartz and when Johann Schmidt comes the other direction he'd be taken aback if we called him Seán MacGabhann.

My point is that names are not translatable and that the GAA's ludicrous insistence on "Irish" names is cynical tokenism, the same as the pidgin Irish phrases and the nonsense with the commentaries in Irish. They're designed for one purpose only - to PRETEND that the GAA administration is promoting Irish. It's not. It's making a laughing stock of it. As someone who supports the regeneration of Irish, I resent that.

errr, yes they are. the vast majority of surnames on this island are derived from irish. so they are translatable. now i dont particularly care about what the GAA does on the translating front, it doesnt bother me but to say that is ridiculous

Dougal Maguire

Could they not have commentary on the minor match in English on the radio, then punters could listen in there with the volume on the telly turned down, or vice versa. On the subject, was it my telly or was there a sound problem with the commentary on the Sunday Game last night
Careful now

spuds

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 05:29:13 PM
Hardy
How would you support the regeneration ? You are not happy with the way it is being taught, when something is done you call it tokenism, you say not enough is being done by the heads in the GAA.

See my immediately previous post. If the GAA is not just pulling our legs about promoting Irish, don't you think that Irish lessons/courses in clubs would be the very basic starting point?

Do you support the regeneration of Irish the same way I support my English soccer team; from afar and half arsed !

Pretty much. No defence offered, except to say that at least I'm not pretending to be promoting Irish by engaging in eyewash and codswallop.
So you support the regeneration of Irish in a half arsed way but yet seem upset about the bit of exposure it gets on All Ireland sunday ! You get involved in a discussion you really don't give a damn about and try to claim the high moral ground with the
Quoteat least I'm not pretending to be promoting Irish by engaging in eyewash and codswallop.
Quite pathethic really.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Hardy

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on September 06, 2010, 05:36:55 PM
It's just another piece of codology. This sort of shite allows GAA HQ to claim it's fulfilling its remit of promoting Irish by insisting on a clause in the RTÉ contract that the minor finals (and only the minor finals) be covered in Irish (and in Irish only).  Never mind that it's using the same compulsion that has almost killed the language. You'll learn Irish in school if we have to bate it into you and you'll watch the minor final in Irish whether you like it or not and whether you understand it or not. Do they not grasp the stupidity of making people resent the language as a pretence of promoting it and, in the same move losing 80%+ of the audience for underage football on the only occasion when it appears on TV? Of course they do, but they don't give a shite.

This is the same "policy" of language promotion that brings you a few phrases at the start of every GAA speech in pidgin Irish, the insistence on using the Irish language names of counties in passages of English and, of course, the tour de force that will have us all speaking the sweetest Irish within a generation - the insistence on the ludicrous "translation" of people's names into imaginary Irish versions. This is promoting Irish? Is it not just making a laughing stock of it?

Wrote from a totally negative view of all efforts to give any promotion to the Irish language, blame it all on it being forced and shoved in your face. Blame the language dying out on the method it is being taught. So it would be better to have some programme in Irish on at a time and place that will be out of earshot of all ? Not everyone dislikes the minor commentry in Irish ! You either have an association that stands for something or you purely have a sports organisation that caters to the elite footballers and hurlers.

You have the imaginary surnames thing a bit back to front, albeit in a more historical way than you were referring to, as many original Irish surnames were translated to English surnames that sounded similar etc.

What's the Irish for Moses Muzalewa? Piotr Crzewinski? Are we going to attract immigrant kids to the sport by starting off by telling them their names don't match up to our racial purity requirements? You can't be on our team because we don't like your name.

John Power is John Power and Sean Óg de Paor is not. If Jack Stack's parents had meant to call him Sean de Staic, they'd have put that on his birth cert., same as Aodán Mac Gearailt's put what they meant on his. When Mickey Black goes to Germany, he doesn't expect people to start calling him Mikel Schwartz and when Johann Schmidt comes the other direction he'd be taken aback if we called him Seán MacGabhann.

My point is that names are not translatable and that the GAA's ludicrous insistence on "Irish" names is cynical tokenism, the same as the pidgin Irish phrases and the nonsense with the commentaries in Irish. They're designed for one purpose only - to PRETEND that the GAA administration is promoting Irish. It's not. It's making a laughing stock of it. As someone who supports the regeneration of Irish, I resent that.

errr, yes they are. the vast majority of surnames on this island are derived from irish. so they are translatable. now i dont particularly care about what the GAA does on the translating front, it doesnt bother me but to say that is ridiculous

Perhaps I should have said names are not usually translated - hence my German examples, etc. Jasus I could go to the most totalitarian state in the world and they'd let me in without trying to translate my name into Korean or Spanish. Can you give me any other examples of situations in which people present the name on their birth certificates only to be told that it's unacceptable and that they have to change it to a substitute name provided by the group they're asking to join? I can only think of two occasions when it happened to me - on my first day in school and on my first appearance on a team sheet.

Most sensible people have stopped that nonsense by now. For instance, Irish speakers address people by whatever name they present and TG4 uses players' real names, not ones made up by some politburo of cultural acceptability.,

Hardy

Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 05:50:14 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 05:29:13 PM
Hardy

So you support the regeneration of Irish in a half arsed way but yet seem upset about the bit of exposure it gets on All Ireland sunday ! You get involved in a discussion you really don't give a damn about and try to claim the high moral ground with the
Quoteat least I'm not pretending to be promoting Irish by engaging in eyewash and codswallop.
Quite pathethic really.

Why are you trying to start a row with me?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Ya see spuds. I'll have me brothers here in a minute too, so watch yerself.

winsamsoon

Speak little to no Irish of which i am not proud but to me it isn't really about the language. For me it is symbolism, i always remember when i was a child and my da and cousins would sit in the kitchen and watch the minor football final. Now none of us knew what they were saying but we could get the gist of it and could see the match. This is a tradition that has always stayed the same throughout the years whilst other things have changed . It is just the symbolism of the whole day that starts off with the minor game in Irish and to me this sets the day up in a clinking way.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

spuds

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 05:52:53 PM

What's your problem? Why are you trying to start a row with me?

Not trying to start a row with you, just pointing out your complaints about the Irish commentry on the minor game is strong, you claimed to be all on for the language's regeneration and then admit you are half arsed about it. Your main point seemd to be a problem with Irish getting any expiosure and then clapping yourself on the back with the
John Hubbard

spuds

John Hubbard

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 05:52:13 PM
Quote from: The Forfeit Point on September 06, 2010, 05:36:55 PM

Perhaps I should have said names are not usually translated - hence my German examples, etc. Jasus I could go to the most totalitarian state in the world and they'd let me in without trying to translate my name into Korean or Spanish. Can you give me any other examples of situations in which people present the name on their birth certificates only to be told that it's unacceptable and that they have to change it to a substitute name provided by the group they're asking to join? I can only think of two occasions when it happened to me - on my first day in school and on my first appearance on a team sheet.

Most sensible people have stopped that nonsense by now. For instance, Irish speakers address people by whatever name they present and TG4 uses players' real names, not ones made up by some politburo of cultural acceptability.,

i can't give you any other examples, it doesn't bother me. i just felt the need to clear up what you said, and you did that there, that's fine

Rossfan

Taithníonn sé go mór liom go bhfuil an tráchtaireacht ar na Cluichí Ceannais Mionúir i nGaeilge.
Ach cén fáth nach mbíonn Tráchtaire Connachtach agus Ultach gach tríú bliain?
Ceapann a lán daoine gur Gaeilge na Mumhan an t-aon saghas Gaeilge atá sa tír mar sin an las a cloiseann siad an t-am go léir ar RTE.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: spuds on September 06, 2010, 06:04:43 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 05:52:53 PM

What's your problem? Why are you trying to start a row with me?

Not trying to start a row with you, just pointing out your complaints about the Irish commentry on the minor game is strong, you claimed to be all on for the language's regeneration and then admit you are half arsed about it. Your main point seemd to be a problem with Irish getting any expiosure and then clapping yourself on the back with the

Yep. You're definitely trying to get a row going.

I didn't complain about the Irish commentary. I said I like it. And how could you have thought I have a problem with Irish getting exposure? My problem is it's not getting enough. I complained about hypocrisy.

And if I was going to clap myself on the back, I'd find something better than that.

Ya fecker.

spuds

Quote from: Hardy on September 06, 2010, 06:40:45 PM

And if I was going to clap myself on the back, I'd find something better than that.

Ya fecker.
T'was a poor effort alright !
You were giving out about the tokenism of it, about not enough being done and then saying that you are half arsed about the whole thing yourself. Summarises succintly the way the language has got to this stage !

Ya demon ya
John Hubbard