Geezer - one word LEGEND

Started by Orangemac, August 30, 2010, 11:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 31, 2010, 10:13:43 AM
QuoteI hope that Pádraig Ashe and the rest of KCB get the ball rolling in the next few days and reappoint Kieran now that his three year term is up.

Absolutely, slightly worried about this quote I read yesterday though

McGeeney will consider his own position saying "I do have to sit down and think about that, things like that are difficult, me and the administrators don't always see eye-to eye"

It's common knowledge in Kildare that Ashe and McGeeney don't see eye to eye, McGeeney was appointed by a different chairman. But hopefully they can work through their differences, we have some very good young footballers coming through and training 2/3 years with McGeeney can only be good for them and the county..

I know they had a bit of a falling out after the Louth match but the photo below gives me some encouragement. Ashe is a shrewd enough man and he surely realises that there'd be war if every effort isn't made to keep McGeeney here.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

QuoteI hope that Pádraig Ashe and the rest of KCB get the ball rolling in the next few days and reappoint Kieran now that his three year term is up.

McGeeney will consider his own position saying "I do have to sit down and think about that, things like that are difficult, me and the administrators don't always see eye-to eye"

It's common knowledge in Kildare that Ashe and McGeeney don't see eye to eye, McGeeney was appointed by a different chairman. But hopefully they can work through their differences, we have some very good young footballers coming through and training 2/3 years with McGeeney can only be good for them and the county..
wouldnt be completely in agreement with that Dinny.
Whatever about differences of opinion with the admin people who usually know feck all about coaching, managing and getting a team to the top (for years kildare admin curtailed any potential to do well) I still think that while McGeeney brings a lot of game time knowledge and puts such ideas and knowledge into use on the pitch in the team - he obv lacks experience and this proved to be part of why Kildare lost on Sunday.

Without these new ideas and method of playing kildare wouldnt have been in that position, but now the question is hes the current management got what it takes to bring them that further bit to win an All Ireland or even a leinster at least.

Honesly, I think the answer is no. But given his lack of exp, how could it be anything else.
I see the Armagh lads are delighted that he is learning his trade and will take their helm eventually, I expect this to be true. He will be all the better for it- though he might not have the players come that time, that kildare have (not saying all Kildare players are super stars, they are not, but they have a good mix of supreme talent and all out workhorses- thats all they need).
Bigger question is though - who could take the reigns and take this a step higher. Theres not many in the country that can. One man in Kildare possibly and outside of that I am not sure.
the man i'd like to see would need O'Rourke or some other coach to retain the abrasive style thats key to modern day winning, as he doesnt advocate that kind of play !

Puckoon

I'd never have warmed to him before - but that is a great couple of articles there.

Rossfan

Quote from: Barney on August 31, 2010, 08:03:40 AM
It's people like McGeeney that makes you proud to be a GAA man.

Legend is the word.

For once I have to totally agree with one of ye bucks Barney.
You're spot on there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

I read somewhere that he eats 9 weetabix every morning.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

pintsofguinness

he must suffer from shocking stomach cramps
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Kildare county board had to spring for one of these.

Jinxy

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 31, 2010, 08:51:50 PM
he must suffer from shocking stomach cramps

You'd know by looking at him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Would this Mr Ashe perchance be willing to trade one former All Ireland winning captain and centre half back for another?

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

andunabu

The man is a legend as is James.  They are great Ulster and QUB men who have done wonderful jobs this year. 

armaghniac

QuoteI read somewhere that he eats 9 weetabix every morning.

And 3 Shredded Wheat.

This is why McGeeney is not full of crap like so many managers!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Always admired McGeeney. There's no bullshit with him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

IolarCoisCuain

I thought McGeeney very under-rated as a player. Thought he was a dinger myself, and he's proven himself a top manager this year. He made the most of what he had in Kildare, wasn't afraid of changing his mind if he thought it'd get better results and had a team playing to their talents if not above. You can't ask for more than that. If Kildare got one hop of the ball to go their way they could be in the All-Ireland now instead of Down (with the greatest respect to Down, whom I think a fine team that will win their sixth title, by way).

This is the first I've heard about getting the players fundraising though and I'm quite interested in that. McGeeney was a big GPA man as I recall but having players out on the stump raising money like mortals isn't very GPA. Is McGeaney at odds with his erstwhile Komrades?

JMohan

While I think Kildare have improved a lot this year, I think they've had a relatively fortunate run in the Championship.

Lose to Louth, 2 attempts to get over Antrim, Beat Leitrim, Beat Derry (a team in obvious disarray and turmoil), A good win over a 6 day turn around Monaghan, And beat then Meath.

I give them credit for the 2 wins over Monaghan and Meath, but I'm not sure they can go much further or can be developed much more.

[Await the backlash]

Dinny Breen

There'll be no backlash as it's a spuruious arguement whose logic can be applied to every team - take Down for example who have they beaten, applying public negative perception logic

took extra time to beat an awful Donegal team
Comfortabley beaten by Tyrone
Required dubious penalty to beat Longford (a team who only finsihed above London and Kilkenny in the NFL)
Should have lost to Offaly
Beat Sligo who were beaten before they went on the pitch
Beat a Kerry side in decline missing 6 from last years AI winning side
Had amazing luck to beat by your standards a poor Kildare side

Do Down deserve to be in the Final?

Absolutely

If they beat Cork the usually shite will be rolled out that Cork were a poor side etc etc

Do you think Down would give a shit?

Not in the slightest because they will be AI champions and deservedly so....
#newbridgeornowhere