Irish on U.K. T.V.

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, August 12, 2010, 01:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: spuds on August 14, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
Any one with a brain cell wouldn't be getting all worked up about someone doing their job on TV, she'll not be lasting too long by not creating a bond with her viewers and probably not following the script either. I know she wasn't in the GPO with you martyrs but she'll just have to survive without your approval !  :D

What's the story with Philip Bromwell on RTE news ? Doesn't sound like he is from Achill or Finglas !

The last thing anyone on here would accuse me of would be being in the GPO in 1916, ha ha.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:56:37 PM
How do you know it is part of her job? How does Deiseach know what television producers think  ???
I'm the one applying common sense to the situation when you are trying to be a media expert.
I feel at home in England but I still wouldn't refer to the English soccer team or armed services as "we" or "us".

I see. 'Common sense' is what YOU think is normal. Why do you think all these people like Graham Norton and Liz Bonnin use 'we' if it is so contrary to common sense?

All of a Sludden

I feel at home in England

You are British after all, why wouldn't you feel at home in Britain ???
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 01:03:35 PM
How do you know it is part of her job? How does Deiseach know what television producers think  ???
I'm the one applying common sense to the situation when you are trying to be a media expert.
I feel at home in England but I still wouldn't refer to the English soccer team or armed services as "we" or "us".

I see. 'Common sense' is what YOU think is normal. Why do you think all these people like Graham Norton and Liz Bonnin use 'we' if it is so contrary to common sense?
I've no idea but I'd suspect reasons range from being ashamed of their roots to not having an ounce of sense. 

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 14, 2010, 01:05:47 PM

If you can't discuss something like an adult don't bother at all, such comments (like spuds most recent comments) only come from people who haven't the intelligence to put across their point of view.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

armaghniac

This is a non thread. If you take a job in British television, or French or German or wherever then you use "we" to refer to the place where you are. Paddy O'Rourke refers to us winning a game although he doesn't even live in Armagh, Micko is not a Wicklow person but no doubt has used we to refer to Wicklow in the recent past.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 01:09:26 PM
I've no idea but I'd suspect reasons range from being ashamed of their roots to not having an ounce of sense. 

So you think it's a form of self-loathing. Fair enough. I think it more likely that they're asked to keep it more chummy, but we can agree to differ

spuds

Quote from: spuds on August 14, 2010, 12:50:32 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 12:43:44 PM
Quote from: spuds on August 14, 2010, 12:36:52 PM
Any one with a brain cell wouldn't be getting all worked up about someone doing their job on TV, she'll not be lasting too long by not creating a bond with her viewers and probably not following the script either. I know she wasn't in the GPO with you martyrs but she'll just have to survive without your approval !

What's the story with Philip Bromwell on RTE news ? Doesn't sound like he is from Achill or Finglas !
It's not part of her job and I don't think it's necessary for her to say "we" to create a bond.

How do you know it's not part of her job ?
Don't know anything about her but maybe she feels at home now in UK with you, good luck to her.
You state it's not part of her job.....I ask you how you know this......you respond by asking how I know it is part of her job ?? What age are you ?
When stating that you are the only one applying common sense...well it just comes across as you are grasping at straws.
Happy for you feeling at home in England but you're unlikely to be presented with the opportunity to present any programme on TV there.
Liz Bonnin presenting her programme referring to "our" English this or that is catering to her audience.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

pintsofguinness

Quote from: armaghniac on August 14, 2010, 01:16:25 PM
This is a non thread. If you take a job in British television, or French or German or wherever then you use "we" to refer to the place where you are. Paddy O'Rourke refers to us winning a game although he doesn't even live in Armagh, Micko is not a Wicklow person but no doubt has used we to refer to Wicklow in the recent past.
Paddy O'Rourke and Micko are part of the team set ups, of course they refer to the team as "we".

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 01:18:30 PM

So you think it's a form of self-loathing. Fair enough. I think it more likely that they're asked to keep it more chummy, but we can agree to differ
If that was the case they'd all do it, they don't.

spuds
You state it's not part of her job.....I ask you how you know this......you respond by asking how I know it is part of her job ?? What age are you ?
You said it was part of their job, you're the one with the "I assume you never studied media", you're the one trying to come across as a media expert, I'm not. I can't see it being part of their job because if it was they'd all be doing it. Apart from that it sounds ridiculous!

spuds

[/quote]
If you can't discuss something like an adult don't bother at all, such comments (like spuds most recent comments) only come from people who haven't the intelligence to put across their point of view.
[/quote]

You have a highly inflated opinion of yourself if you reckon you're attempts at a discussion here are adult like, I'd describe it as the non-sensical comments of a limited individual. Enjoy your slow weekend !!  ;)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

All of a Sludden

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 14, 2010, 01:05:47 PM

I assume you were born and raised in Northern Ireland. During my 40 odd years on this earth, Northern Ireland has been an integral part of Britain, even though some pedants like yourself will argue that NI is technically only part of the UK. Anyway, lets not split hairs here, NI is British. It has been longer than anyone of us has been alive and will continue to be so long after we are gone. No amount of Anglo Irish or Good Friday Agreements will ever change the fact that you and the other 1.5 million odd of your Brethren are indeed as British as Finchley.
So why wouldn't you feel at home in part of your homeland?  :D

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 01:23:39 PM

The only one who doesn't do it that I'm aware of is Dara O'Briain and he's made a career out of being the cheerful Mick, what Al Murray referred to as "they [the Irish] dance for our entertainment". The rest of them are not employed to be extras from an O'Casey play

All of a Sludden

At home indeed.  ::)

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 24, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
Last time we were in London herself went to order food in a bar and she was asked if she spoke English. 

The English are f**king stupid though, they don't listen, I do have only two words out of my mouth and they're saying "what".  Drives me mad. I can understand them, why can't they understand me!

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 24, 2010, 09:42:35 PM
That's the thing! There's particular people who ask me constantly to repeat myself 3 or 4 times, there's a couple who have said to me they don't understand me - I don't talk to them anymore - I'd be mortified to say that to someone but as you say they seem proud.

and they're ones to be talking about accents - today I was taking an address of this boy and he kept telling me it was 1274 bridge road - thinking it was a little odd that the the numbers ran in to the thousands on this road I was querying it - after 10 minutes and a lot of confusion someone came in to translate and it turned out the address was 127 fullbridge road.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 23, 2010, 11:29:52 PM
People have a problem understanding most things I say!

It's exhausting!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: deiseach on August 14, 2010, 01:30:15 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 14, 2010, 01:23:39 PM

The only one who doesn't do it that I'm aware of is Dara O'Briain and he's made a career out of being the cheerful Mick, what Al Murray referred to as "they [the Irish] dance for our entertainment". The rest of them are not employed to be extras from an O'Casey play
Most of the Irish comedians don't do it - the fella presenting on MOTD2 doesnt either. Can't remember his name now.

mountainboii

Quote from: armaghniac on August 14, 2010, 01:16:25 PM
This is a non thread. If you take a job in British television, or French or German or wherever then you use "we" to refer to the place where you are.

Yes, it's very simple. Bonnin is a professional TV presenter. When on TV, she ceases to be Bonnin, the Irish educated French-Trinidadian, and becomes Bonnin, the British TV presenter. There is a difference between private and professional personas.

Hardy

Quote from: All of a Sludden on August 14, 2010, 01:27:28 PMDuring my 40 odd years on this earth, Northern Ireland has been an integral part of Britain
It hasn't

QuoteNI is British
It isn't

QuoteIt has been longer than anyone of us has been alive
It hasn't

Quoteand will continue to be so long after we are gone
It won't