Barriers to keep the dubs in.

Started by Mid Mon, August 07, 2010, 02:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Barney on August 09, 2010, 04:16:26 PM
How did they keep people off between 1999 and 2001?

I can't remember but an approach must have been taken which people did respect. The Hill was certainly in use for those finals. Maybe it was the fact that it was the old Hill and had fencing.

I think part of the problem now is the misinformation from Croke Park as to why they need people off the pitch. The reasoning changes all the time. Christy Cooney has zero respect among members and I think this is a last rebellion from members against the changes taking place in the organisation where games are becoming a form of entertainment for many, rather than a passionate quest to win big games; players have never been more removed from supporters, and the more Croke Park say stay off the more there will be a challenge to get on the pitch - which is likely to cause more trouble!

1999 Meath 2000 Kerry 2001 Galway not getting overly excited about their All Ireland win might have something to do with it? Armagh brought the pitch invasion culture back in 2002 when McGeeney started his victory by pleading with his countymen to stop the encroachment of Croke Park
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DuffleKing

Nope, he just asked them to move back

Rossfan

Some very angry ( and no wonder !!!) Louth fans come in on the pitch from the Stands and have a go at the Ref. A Steward it hit on the head by a plastic bottle thrown from the Stand.
Answer === put a big fence on front of Hill16.
You couldnt make it up  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

It's safe to say the aftermath of the Leinster final was manna from heaven for Cooney & McKenna.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

McKenna and Cooney didn't seem to get their ducks in a row properly for their media excursions. McKenna yesterday morning was heavily emphasising the Leinster Final hooliganism as the major impetus for this initiative. Cooney on Radio One last night said the Leinster Final wasn't an influencing factor at all.

ross4life

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 10, 2010, 01:29:00 AM

I can't remember but an approach must have been taken which people did respect. The Hill was certainly in use for those finals. Maybe it was the fact that it was the old Hill and had fencing.

I think part of the problem now is the misinformation from Croke Park as to why they need people off the pitch. The reasoning changes all the time. Christy Cooney has zero respect among members and I think this is a last rebellion from members against the changes taking place in the organisation where games are becoming a form of entertainment for many, rather than a passionate quest to win big games; players have never been more removed from supporters, and the more Croke Park say stay off the more there will be a challenge to get on the pitch - which is likely to cause more trouble!

1999 - AI Champions - Meath - already did it in 1996
2000 - AI Champions - Kerry - already did it in 1997
2001 - AI Champions - Galway - already did it in 1998

Well on those stats alone tells us they won't keep the fans from going onto the field this time

Down last win 1994
Kildare last win 1928
Dublin last win 1995
Cork last win 1990

Raising the height of the fence is accident waiting to happen IMO
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on August 10, 2010, 07:58:42 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 10, 2010, 01:29:00 AM

1999 - AI Champions - Meath - already did it in 1996
2000 - AI Champions - Kerry - already did it in 1997
2001 - AI Champions - Galway - already did it in 1998

Well on those stats alone tells us they won't keep the fans from going onto the field this time

Down last win 1994
Kildare last win 1928
Dublin last win 1995
Cork last win 1990

Raising the height of the fence is accident waiting to happen IMO

A far more sensible suggestion would be to put seats on the hill and remove the current fence.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

cornafean

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 10, 2010, 08:17:10 PM
A far more sensible suggestion would be to put seats on the hill and remove the current fence.

Better still, flatten the Ard Comhairle part of the Hogan and install in its place a caged area for delinquents.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

heffo

Quote from: cornafean on August 10, 2010, 10:03:12 PM

Better still, flatten the Ard Comhairle part of the Hogan and install in its place a caged area for delinquents.

We can't have Bertie slumming it in Premium now - we've got to ensure he's looked after in Ard Comhairle

cornafean

Quote from: heffo on August 10, 2010, 10:16:48 PM
Quote from: cornafean on August 10, 2010, 10:03:12 PM

We can't have Bertie slumming it in Premium now - we've got to ensure he's looked after in Ard Comhairle

They could put in a special little cage at the front just for him. The Go-Games children could throw him biscuits and bananas on their way back under the Hogan after their half-time games.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Jinxy

Very few of the arguments put forward by Cooney & McKenna stand up to scrutiny.
At this stage, if they just said "Look, ye are wrecking the pitch" I'd have a lot more respect for them.
Instead we get insurance, Hillsborough, referees being attacked, only a matter of time before someone is killed etc.
I don't buy any of that tbh.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

They also took poetic licence regarding the Tyrone steward who took a heart attack. Apparently they were able to get him oxygen within two minutes as the pitch was clear of spectators but what would have happened if this was to occur after the AI final with 40000 people on the pitch?? :(

They claimed they weren't being dramatic....

Only thing is this man took ill in the Croke park hotel not on the pitch :0

I propose a nine foot fence be built around the hotel for safety sake. Anyone want to second this motion in congress?

orangeman

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 11, 2010, 12:54:03 PM
They also took poetic licence regarding the Tyrone steward who took a heart attack. Apparently they were able to get him oxygen within two minutes as the pitch was clear of spectators but what would have happened if this was to occur after the AI final with 40000 people on the pitch?? :(

They claimed they weren't being dramatic....

Only thing is this man took ill in the Croke park hotel not on the pitch :0

I propose a nine foot fence be built around the hotel for safety sake. Anyone want to second this motion in congress?

As someone said earlier, you just couldn't make it up !

The Wedger

Why can't people simply respect the wishes of the organisers and stay off the field as requested?

ross4life

Quote from: The Wedger on August 11, 2010, 09:12:25 PM
Why can't people simply respect the wishes of the organisers and stay off the field as requested?

Maybe because most of these people want to keep the long standing tradition of celebrating the win on the field?