Joe Kernan Steps down

Started by norabeag, August 03, 2010, 11:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 04, 2010, 02:02:10 PM
Galway have to start bringing through new young players over the next few years so ideally you would want a local who knows the scene inside and out in charge and leave him in place for a decent spell to develop these young lads a la O'Donnell in Roscommon. While the last few years at underage have been barren enough bar the 2007 All-Ireland minor winners a lot of this IMO has been down to shoddy youth development and selection and/or utterly incompetent jobs for the boys management. There are still good individual youngsters there. Things seem to be improving a bit with this year's minors reaching an All-Ireland semi-final while next year's minors are generally expected to be better than this year's.

You would think this all points to Kevin Walsh but I'm not sure he sees eye to eye over some issues with certain people in the county board so I don't think he's a cert to take over just yet. I would expect Micko will have his hat firmly in the ring. Has long stated his admiration for Galway football having had so many battles with them during his career both as player and coach. Micko's style would probably suit the Galway temperament but again he would be more of the quick fix varity rather than someone in there to build a team from the ground up slowly.
Surely Micko is not a serious contender GBB? Frying pan to fire.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross matt on August 04, 2010, 02:15:45 PM
Galway have to start bringing through new young players over the next few years so ideally you would want a local who knows the scene inside and out in charge and leave him in place for a decent spell to develop these young lads a la O'Donnell in Roscommon. While the last few years at underage have been barren enough bar the 2007 All-Ireland minor winners a lot of this IMO has been down to shoddy youth development and selection and/or utterly incompetent jobs for the boys management. There are still good individual youngsters there. Things seem to be improving a bit with this year's minors reaching an All-Ireland semi-final while next year's minors are generally expected to be better than this year's.

You would think this all points to Kevin Walsh but I'm not sure he sees eye to eye over some issues with certain people in the county board so I don't think he's a cert to take over just yet. I would expect Micko will have his hat firmly in the ring. Has long stated his admiration for Galway football having had so many battles with them during his career both as player and coach. Micko's style would probably suit the Galway temperament but again he would be more of the quick fix varity rather than someone in there to build a team from the ground up slowly.

Who knows? Personally I would go the other route.

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 04, 2010, 02:22:13 PM
Quote from: ross matt on August 04, 2010, 02:15:45 PM

Who knows? Personally I would go the other route.
Madness not to metion more expense.

GaillimhIarthair

Surprised Kernan is going to be honest but I guess all the recent rumblings fron certain parts of the county have had their desired effect after all.  I very much doubt we will be looking outside the county for the next manager as the most recent one has been a very expensive exercise and I cannot see there being much support for such a move again.  Micko would be a definite no in my book.  As GBB has already stated, there is a need to blood a lot of new players and someone local who knows the scene inside out would be best placed to achieve this IMO also. 

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: thewanderer on August 04, 2010, 10:29:27 AM
cross wouldnt have the money for him now and i think they are happy with new managers from recent teams. monaghan that would be a surprise but not with grimley biggest fallout ever.

As far as I'm aware Cross have never paid for the services of their club managers.

brokencrossbar1

I think Tony mac and Gareth are doing a fine and dandy job as it is in Cross, the club doesn't need to outside managers as there is plenty of quality inside the club.  Disappointed for Joe that he was left in this position as he is wholehearted in whatever he does but if he doesn't have the backing of the Board for whatever reason then he is better off away from it.  It looks to me like a sign of the financial times and the payment of managers will be a more contested matter over the next few years as counties tighten up.  Galway seem from the outside anyway lacking in new talent on the county panel. Joe possibly did underestimate the gravity of the building work that was required.  Anyway, best of luck to Joe, I don't reckon he'll look at anything too far away from home for a while, maybe the Meath job if O'Brien moved on.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2010, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: Mano on August 04, 2010, 12:50:16 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2010, 12:45:42 PM
Sligo will struggle in 2011.
What a load of rubbish. Why do you say that? Theres no in between with you. If we get replacement for full back and the return of Egan, McGovern, McNamara and elevate Maye to corner forward we should be challenging for Connaught again next season.

One thing the Connacht final thought me is we have no spine, Brehony, ALL OUR MIDFIELDERS, CHB and FB are in a complete mess and unreliable. We wil go into next yr relying on mullen, taylor and gilmartin and i dont think we can rely on them. As far as im concerned we are wasting our time with Greene in goals aswell.  Forget about McNamara. Even Cawley and Davey as wing backs strengths arent good one on one defending, both like to go forward to mask this, but both are brilliant readers of the game defensively, but when there men run at them we are in trouble. Even Harrison isnt a world beater defensively, harrsion gave away alot of frees in the final,  The only man i have 100% faith in is Ross Donovan in our Defence. The others worry me as there weaknesses can be exploited.

None of us know if Conor Davey, Mark Quinn, Brian Kennedy will deliver in Championship.

You talk of Maye, is he ready for Senior football, he looked great for the juniors but lacks pace, he has everything else and more. Still it is no certainty. We have no FF either, well do you think Marren is the answer, i dont. Sweeney is our best bet but grossly inconsistent.

Is Egan Returning for definite? McGovern I rate, Johnny Martyn I rate, huge boost to the hb line if they come back.

Now remember all of the above has to be tried and tested against the heavyweights of Div2. And ideally we dont want to peak until june/july. I dont want us going for the fitness advantage early on either as it will comeback to bite in summer when i'll be told again the tank is empty.

I personally have a fair idea who our best chance is in every position so i wouldnt be wasting much time, but i wouldnt really care if we win or not in the league, it would all be about getting the spine sorted for CSFC. As far as im concerned you can throw the div3 trophy in the bin, all that matters is the Nestor.

I cant see Walsh doing the above so i expect us to flatter to deceive in the NFL and have no spine for CSFC.
They didn't become bad players after 1 poor performance

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 04, 2010, 03:52:22 PM
I think Tony mac and Gareth are doing a fine and dandy job as it is in Cross, the club doesn't need to outside managers as there is plenty of quality inside the club.  Disappointed for Joe that he was left in this position as he is wholehearted in whatever he does but if he doesn't have the backing of the Board for whatever reason then he is better off away from it.  It looks to me like a sign of the financial times and the payment of managers will be a more contested matter over the next few years as counties tighten up.  Galway seem from the outside anyway lacking in new talent on the county panel. Joe possibly did underestimate the gravity of the building work that was required.  Anyway, best of luck to Joe, I don't reckon he'll look at anything too far away from home for a while, maybe the Meath job if O'Brien moved on.
BCB, i know before the Galway job,Joe wouldnt take an Ulster job because he didnt want to coach against his sons.
Do you reckon,he would be interested in the Monaghan or indeed Cavan job? (Im asking you as you would know Joe,and may have some juicy information  ;D )

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on August 04, 2010, 04:29:42 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 04, 2010, 03:52:22 PM
BCB, i know before the Galway job,Joe wouldnt take an Ulster job because he didnt want to coach against his sons.
Do you reckon,he would be interested in the Monaghan or indeed Cavan job? (Im asking you as you would know Joe,and may have some juicy information  ;D )

No juicy information, I know as much as you do about the whole thing.  I would guess that the Monaghan job is a non runner if Grimley is still there,  Cavan job...I don't think he would be interested.

ross4life

What a load of rubbish. Why do you say that? Theres no in between with you. If we get replacement for full back and the return of Egan, McGovern, McNamara and elevate Maye to corner forward we should be challenging for Connaught again next season.

One thing the Connacht final thought me is we have no spine, Brehony, ALL OUR MIDFIELDERS, CHB and FB are in a complete mess and unreliable. We wil go into next yr relying on mullen, taylor and gilmartin and i dont think we can rely on them. As far as im concerned we are wasting our time with Greene in goals aswell.  Forget about McNamara. Even Cawley and Davey as wing backs strengths arent good one on one defending, both like to go forward to mask this, but both are brilliant readers of the game defensively, but when there men run at them we are in trouble. Even Harrison isnt a world beater defensively, harrsion gave away alot of frees in the final,  The only man i have 100% faith in is Ross Donovan in our Defence. The others worry me as there weaknesses can be exploited.

None of us know if Conor Davey, Mark Quinn, Brian Kennedy will deliver in Championship.

You talk of Maye, is he ready for Senior football, he looked great for the juniors but lacks pace, he has everything else and more. Still it is no certainty. We have no FF either, well do you think Marren is the answer, i dont. Sweeney is our best bet but grossly inconsistent.

Is Egan Returning for definite? McGovern I rate, Johnny Martyn I rate, huge boost to the hb line if they come back.

Now remember all of the above has to be tried and tested against the heavyweights of Div2. And ideally we dont want to peak until june/july. I dont want us going for the fitness advantage early on either as it will comeback to bite in summer when i'll be told again the tank is empty.

I personally have a fair idea who our best chance is in every position so i wouldnt be wasting much time, but i wouldnt really care if we win or not in the league, it would all be about getting the spine sorted for CSFC. As far as im concerned you can throw the div3 trophy in the bin, all that matters is the Nestor.

I cant see Walsh doing the above so i expect us to flatter to deceive in the NFL and have no spine for CSFC.

Have to agree with mano "Theres no in between with you" before the Connacht final you came onto the Stolensheep forum talking about no weakness best since the 70s Sligo team, now it's all doom & gloom

football can change so much in a year, this time last year Down were getting knocked out of the championship by Wicklow & Kerry were giving Dublin a hammering but look at those team's now!

Sligo player's & management have put in a lot of good work over the last few year's now it's time for them to regroup & not let the hard work go to waste, doing well in Div 2 will be your first target & i wouldn't be surprised if Sligo win Nestor cup next year

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mckieran

QuoteBCB, i know before the Galway job,Joe wouldnt take an Ulster job because he didnt want to coach against his sons.

But Galway could also meet Armagh, especially given their recent form. A backdoor meeting would be entirely possible.  ???

I think the reason that a lot of Galway lads are giving Kernan the benefit of the doubt is that we realise just how many injuries he had to cope with. It wasnt just the likes of M.Meehan. You had other lesser well known players like Damien Burke & Diarmuid Blake who struggled badly with injury all year.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on August 04, 2010, 05:50:09 PM

Have to agree with mano "Theres no in between with you" before the Connacht final you came onto the Stolensheep forum talking about no weakness best since the 70s Sligo team, now it's all doom & gloom

football can change so much in a year, this time last year Down were getting knocked out of the championship by Wicklow & Kerry were giving Dublin a hammering but look at those team's now!

Sligo player's & management have put in a lot of good work over the last few year's now it's time for them to regroup & not let the hard work go to waste, doing well in Div 2 will be your first target & i wouldn't be surprised if Sligo win Nestor cup next year
You either win a trophy or you dont. If thats what your getting at there is no in between with me and i make no apologies for it. Nobody can turn around and say to me its been succesful yr. Wheres the inbetween this yr so?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

"You either win a trophy or you dont" you sound more like a Kerry fan than a Sligo fan, success is the progress you guys have made since 1997, the right attitude in the years to come will bring more success like 2007
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Was on TG4 there that Kernan is saying that the Galway county board were interfering with his running and even the selection of the team and that he wasn't given the freedom he was expecting.

True or not I don't know but I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

thewobbler

While it may have been madness to pay a sackful of money for a man from halfway across the country in the first place, it's complete fookin madness to then tell him how to do his job.