The New Manager Thread

Started by The Konica, July 22, 2010, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I'd say they will. Or else it will be through gritted teeth. It's fair to say Dessie Snr. wouldn't be *the* most popular man in the boardroom

The Konica

Who are the candidates in Offaly AZ?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 04:42:02 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 22, 2010, 04:39:20 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 03:57:07 PM
Ok, so far we have Cavan, Laois, Tipperary, Fermanagh and Donegal looking for Managers

Westmeath and Derry may or may not be.

What's the likehood ....?

Westmeath will indeed be looking for a new manager although Pat Flanagan will be invited I'm sure to throw his hat in the ring I'm sure... Then again u never know what shenanigans the Co. Board will be up to this year...  >:(

They could hardly ignore Dolan again though could they?

If they want to they'll just put out a motion to go outside the county like they did last year, the ejiots...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Konica

I'd love to know if he's any good though!!

AZOffaly

If Tom Cribben doesn't get reappointed, or steps down, I'd imagine Stephen Darby from Rhode will be a serious candidate. For the hurling, it will have to be an outsider I'd say if Joe Doooley steps down, and I'd not be surprised if Anthony Daly was approached.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 04:01:59 PM
What are the odds on this being the set up in 6 months?

Cavan - Pete McGrath
Fermanagh - Aidan O'Rourke
Laois - Mick O'Dwyer
Wicklow - Liam Kearns
Donegal - Jim McGuiness
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan Snr
Derry - Henry Downey
Monaghan - Paul Grimley  ;)
Mayo - Liam McHale

Cavan & McGrath looks on the cards as does Donegal & McGuinness.

I'd hope from a Kildare point of view that Aidan O'Rourke will be happy to work with McGeeney for another year or two. The Fermanagh job doesn't look too appealing at the moment either to be fair.

Micko & Laois - I really can't see it happening. A lot of bridges were burned a few years back and I think Micko has his eyes on the Limerick job if Mickey Ned bows out. JP to seal the deal?

Grimley I wouldn't be too sure of. He seems to be pigeon holed as a right-hand man and I'd say that role suits him fine for the time being unless the Armagh job came up again. He's not subject to the same scrutiny and pressure that the manager is but he does seem to receive his fair share of praise when his team's perform.

Dessie Dolan seems the logical choice in Westmeath but then again he was probably the logical choice last time round when Hackett got the job. Wicklow I'd imagine will go local this time - Kevin O'Brien perhaps?

Don't get the Mayo lads started or well have another hundred page thread on our hands!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 04:47:08 PM
I'd love to know if he's any good though!!

He's a players man, anyone who's played under him has spoken well of him, was highly regarded up in Leitrim, doesn't have any achievements of note though.

AZ, I'd be almost as shook as I was last weekend when Sligo & the Dublin hurlers got beat if Joe Dooley doesn't stay on, he's made great strides forward so far. Stephen Darby would be a hell of an improvement on Cribben if u ask me, ever time he speaks he nearly puts me to sleep, reminds me of the priest in Fr. Ted with the dreary, boring, monotonous voice...  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Konica

Yeh, Cavan and Donegal tied up.
Just threw O'Rourkes name in for stir ... but who knows. They can pay - well before Quinn went bust.
Micko, unlikely, but you never know ... if the money is there so will he

Grimley is an interesting one. I suspect there may have been the chance to inherit the throne thrown into the deal by Banty, though if the rumours are true about the figures being earned there, I can't see the need to sweeten the deal. If Banty steps down, there'd be pressure on Grimley to take it on.
What else is he going to do? Go to his 5th county (in 8 years) or or something?   

Will be interesting at least!

put-it-up

Some season for the gossipers I tell ya ;D

McElkennon will leave Monaghan this year too. However I can't see him going back into management at IC level. Coaching is more his gig. For me anyway Cassidy is already down in the job centre. Micko I just cant see going back to Laois at all.

Would i be right in saying that this year could have the highest manager turn-over rate ever?

I am sure Pillar Caffrey will look for a job somewhere too.

The Konica

sammymaguire

ANYONE ON HERE FANCY HAVING A GO?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

put-it-up

Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 05:06:03 PM
Pillar for Cavan?

I have heard it mentioned. My gut is hoping we go with Mcgrath for some reason though..

mjg

If theres any justice mchale will get the mayo job ;D

tierworker blue

Quote from: The Konica on July 22, 2010, 05:06:03 PM
Pillar for Cavan?

Aye, I've heard that one too...strong Cavan connections and all that. He was talked about a lot the last time round before Sports Tracker got involved.

put-it-up

Anyone know if Pillar is rated? In fairnress he has plenty of Leinster honours to his name but will that cut it at Ulster. If Pete is genuinely interested i reckon he is our man.