Sectarian Killer in Sash Remark re-instated

Started by Doogie Browser, July 21, 2010, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

As I was saying on another forum, given the revelation today of his murder convictions, the "salt of the earth" stuff that's been spouted seems a fair bit less appropriate than "scum of the earth".

stibhan

I have no problem with the man working for ASDA given that his release, whilst not part of the Good Friday Agreement, is no different from many of the Republican releases after 1998. I have no doubt that many of the people 'campaigning' for his reinstatement were more than aware of his past activity though, and that outside pressure from them prejudiced the appeals process. He won't be allowed to put a foot wrong again either way.

Edit: Just to say, the idea that making a remark about 'The Sash' is evidence for his not having changed his ways is ludicrous at best. There are more than plenty of people who sing that song who don't have any convictions for assault, let alone murder. It is a difficult situation though because whilst some people talk about the shops in the West of the city and how they probably have people with Troubles convictions, the ASDA on the Shore Road is right beside a mixed area unlike those in the West. I think that's a salient point but I can see why some would disagree.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stibhan on July 21, 2010, 11:14:55 PM
I have no problem with the man working for ASDA given that his release, whilst not part of the Good Friday Agreement, is no different from many of the Republican releases after 1998. I have no doubt that many of the people 'campaigning' for his reinstatement were more than aware of his past activity though, and that outside pressure from them prejudiced the appeals process. He won't be allowed to put a foot wrong again either way.

Edit: Just to say, the idea that making a remark about 'The Sash' is evidence for his not having changed his ways is ludicrous at best. There are more than plenty of people who sing that song who don't have any convictions for assault, let alone murder. It is a difficult situation though because whilst some people talk about the shops in the West of the city and how they probably have people with Troubles convictions, the ASDA on the Shore Road is right beside a mixed area unlike those in the West. I think that's a salient point but I can see why some would disagree.
Fortwilliam is mixed but it is also on the doorstep of Mount Vernon. You are also making the assumption that everyone in the West is happy to be served by someone who is a convicted killer (at worst) or sporting paramilitary tattoos (at best) as long as he is "one of us".

nrico2006

Has Billy Hutchinson made any further comments since he came out with the line about your man being a good soul and how he wasn't the type of person to act in a secterian murder?  Makes you sick.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

Fairly measured responses to date, I do agree that his past should not preclude him from employment.  Whether we like it or not though such throwaway comments about the sash or Irish rebel songs are dangerous in the work environment, I work in a mixed office and would not dream of making a 'joke' about Sean South or the Broad Black Brimmer for fear of offending fellow employees.
The bigger issue for me though is loyalist mob rule getting their way once again.

gerry

i think this is a no win situation for asda and with a new store opening in crumlin road shortly, they need to get this one right

Brother of men killed by Asda worker asks to meet management
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Rois

Oh flip, just after reading the Irish News article, I fear my sister has been in touch...

omagh_gael

Quote from: Rois on July 22, 2010, 01:58:26 PM
Oh flip, just after reading the Irish News article, I fear my sister has been in touch...

Ha ha I thought I read that on the Gaaboard when I was scanning through the article.

stibhan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2010, 11:45:42 PM
Quote from: stibhan on July 21, 2010, 11:14:55 PM

Fortwilliam is mixed but it is also on the doorstep of Mount Vernon. You are also making the assumption that everyone in the West is happy to be served by someone who is a convicted killer (at worst) or sporting paramilitary tattoos (at best) as long as he is "one of us".

I'm well aware of the Fortwilliam area and its surrounds. I wasn't making any unsubstantiated assumptions about the people in the West, you can appreciate that if someone had have made a similar comment there then the complaint would probably never have been made though. You might have considered the end of my paragraph as a recognition that it wasn't necessarily gospel.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

Asda Billy set himself on fire in Millisle and died the other day.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

Quote from: Minder on August 25, 2012, 02:41:30 PM

That's a pity.

Tony Baloney

Just reading that in the IN. Obviously a very troubled individual.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 25, 2012, 03:54:06 PM
Just reading that in the IN. Obviously a very troubled individual.

Maybe he couldn't get tickets for Smokie at the Grand Opera House.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Forever Green