All Ireland Quarter Final Tir Eoghain V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, July 18, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeys beard

Quote from: Pups on August 01, 2010, 09:05:08 AM
Up the dubs!!! Very happily surprised. Couldn't believe the cockyness of some of the boys on here. Confidence yes and you were right to be confident. I think to suggest that but for the wides you would have won is wrong. Dublin scored lots of wides too remember. Most of the wides you got were forced as our lads chased you down. There was a bit of panic from your lads that I've not seen before. The consensus was (from some of your heartbroken supporters back in meaghers) was that tactically Gilroy outsmarted Harte and our boys out tyroned yis. I agree. As Brolly says nothing can take away from that win.

If your team is playing electrifying football and have had a recent history of success, you've a right to be confident.  Yesterday, don't forget that we had most of the possession and were winning most of the 50-50 balls.  We had seventeen or eighteen wides, and Dublin had plenty too but it's unusual for us to have so many and at worst on another day, that could have been ten points.  Loads of unforced wides in the second half(especially from Cavanagh) and, while not disputing the great effort and determination of Dublin, the crossbar denying us a goal, not to mention some fool blowing a whistle in the crowd to deny Penrose a shot at goal, all these things should be noted by Dublin if they want to progress. 

Gilroy spoke well after the match-he applauded his players but acknowledged the fact that they got the breaks and that they were now in bonus territory.  Watch the match again and you will see that but for the wides, especially from Cavanagh we would have won.
It was Dublin's day but they will only progress if they realise that they still have a lot of work to do.  Considering Gilroy's attitude, I think they are on the right track.
Boil the Drawers!

Pups

I said you were right to feel confident but not cocky.  Dublin had 17 wides against Meath last year and still won so I don't agree that you would have beaten us but for your wides.  I must look again for the penrose whistle thing.  Games are full of ifs and buts a d yes had penrose got that goal at the end of the second half the game might have been different. Equally, had Bernard Brogan caught the net on two occasions midway through the second half the game could have turned.   I have done nothing but watch the match over and over and up until the goal the game was anybodies. Listen what happened yesterday was a complete surprise to me. I never expected it. Hoped of course. I funk Cork if they get passed the Rossies would be too big an ask for us. I think our big match was yesterday.  But considering the start we had to the champ, I'll take it   

Mickeys beard

Not seeing the cockiness, myself.  If anything, Tyrone people struggle with confidence and cockiness.  That's why we're a county of mumblers!  But we are competitive.
Boil the Drawers!

heffo

Quote from: Mickeys beard on August 01, 2010, 12:42:21 PM
Quote from: Pups on August 01, 2010, 09:05:08 AM
Up the dubs!!! Very happily surprised. Couldn't believe the cockyness of some of the boys on here. Confidence yes and you were right to be confident. I think to suggest that but for the wides you would have won is wrong. Dublin scored lots of wides too remember. Most of the wides you got were forced as our lads chased you down. There was a bit of panic from your lads that I've not seen before. The consensus was (from some of your heartbroken supporters back in meaghers) was that tactically Gilroy outsmarted Harte and our boys out tyroned yis. I agree. As Brolly says nothing can take away from that win.

Gilroy spoke well after the match-he applauded his players but acknowledged the fact that they got the breaks and that they were now in bonus territory.  Watch the match again and you will see that but for the wides, especially from Cavanagh we would have won.
It was Dublin's day but they will only progress if they realise that they still have a lot of work to do.  Considering Gilroy's attitude, I think they are on the right track.

We've had plenty of big decisions go against us in big games over the last few years and took it on the chin without complaint, so were due a few breaks - we are in bonus territory now - keep the head down, stay away from product launches, stay out of Coppers and just concentrate on preparing for three weeks time.

INDIANA

Quote from: ONeill on August 01, 2010, 12:09:59 PM
But it was very close to working. On 40 minutes, Tyrone had turned a 6-2 deficit into a 10-8 lead and looking strong, using that exact tactic - build from the back and run through them - Dublin could only foul. You cannot legislate for 18 wides. Perhaps McConnell could've mixed it a bit when things started to tire on 55-60 mins.

The short kick out sort of neutralised what Dooher and McGuigan does best, foraging for breaking ball.

Soft frees O Neill half of them weren't frees in my view.  Kicking short  ALL THE TIME negates players like Mulligan who was doing serious damage yesterday. You don't seem to see that short kick outs still mean you have to play through 13 players.  A ,long kickout won at midfield and the ball can be transferred inside within 40 seconds. I honestly think that was pure arrogance by Tyrone yesterday. Which I was surprised at.

Pups

southdown

Anyone sitting in section 329 pf the hogan?  There was a lad from tyrone there who was an absolute disgrace to his county and ruined the game for those in the rows in front and behind him.  Dont know how he wasnt threw out.

Mickeys beard

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2010, 02:20:47 PM
But it was very close to working. On 40 minutes, Tyrone had turned a 6-2 deficit into a 10-8 lead and looking strong, using that exact tactic - build from the back and run through them - Dublin could only foul. You cannot legislate for 18 wides. Perhaps McConnell could've mixed it a bit when things started to tire on 55-60 mins.

The short kick out sort of neutralised what Dooher and McGuigan does best, foraging for breaking ball.

Soft frees O Neill half of them weren't frees in my view.  Kicking short  ALL THE TIME negates players like Mulligan who was doing serious damage yesterday. You don't seem to see that short kick outs still mean you have to play through 13 players.  A ,long kickout won at midfield and the ball can be transferred inside within 40 seconds. I honestly think that was pure arrogance by Tyrone yesterday. Which I was surprised at.

So the fact that we have a poor midfield doesn't come into it?  Arrogance, cockiness-seems that even after yesterday's watershed, some Dubs still have a few Harry Ramsdens on their shoulders. ;)
Boil the Drawers!

lilpaulie85

Quote from: Mickeys beard on August 01, 2010, 02:29:37 PM

So the fact that we have a poor midfield doesn't come into it?  Arrogance, cockiness-seems that even after yesterday's watershed, some Dubs still have a few Harry Ramsdens on their shoulders. ;)

A few  ;D some of them could stock every chipper and snack van in the country.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Pups

INDIANA

Quote from: Mickeys beard on August 01, 2010, 02:29:37 PM

We have a rookie and a guy whose form oscillates on a weekly basis. Hardly Mullins and Brogan at midfield for us now was it?

Mickeys beard

An average Monaghan midfield won nearly every kickout against us in the ulster final.  Any midfield in Ireland at the minute would relish the high ball against us. 
Boil the Drawers!

Mickeys beard

Boil the Drawers!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair dues to the Dubs I met and who were genuinely thrilled by the result, true fans, and delighted for them.

The better team won on the day, no question, but probably a tad too early to write this particular Tyrone team's epitaph - it's true that midfield is an issue, and the tactic yesterday of trying to bypass midfield was arguably our undoing, though had we been a bit less profligate in front of the posts it mightn't even be a topic worthy of debate or discussion.

A more general point is that both provincial winners lost on the day, where it seems that the momentum generated in the Qualifiers for both Down and Dublin stood to them, particularly in the Down-Kerry game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...