Big crowd in Pearse

Started by Peter Solan the Great, July 10, 2010, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2010, 05:02:41 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 10, 2010, 04:58:13 PM
Simple solution to that, park the car in the city then either get the bus out or walk to salthill! which i do on every visit to pearse park

We are talking about big matches Ros.

2000 at today's match  ::) & i've been to all the Connacht finals in the new Pearse park
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on July 10, 2010, 05:12:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2010, 05:02:41 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 10, 2010, 04:58:13 PM
Simple solution to that, park the car in the city then either get the bus out or walk to salthill! which i do on every visit to pearse park

We are talking about big matches Ros.

2000 at today's match  ::) & i've been to all the Connacht finals in the new Pearse park

Is Muppet suggesting that if Roscommon are playing it can hardly be considered a big match  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mckieran

The attendance at yesterdays game could make the county board into considering switching the games back to Tuam?

magpie seanie

Galway football support has always been poor but playing games in that dump has really killed it off completely. A total white elephant and waste of GAA money.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mckieran on July 11, 2010, 11:52:41 PM
The attendance at yesterdays game could make the county board into considering switching the games back to Tuam?

Hardly. I love Tuam Stadium but it's a glorified cow shed these days.

Pearse is a fine ground. If only it was located on the other side of the city it might not be such an ordeal to get in and out of.

ross4life

Tuam was the home of Galway football, could never understand why they didn't repair Tuam stadium instead of Pearse

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on July 12, 2010, 12:00:39 AM
Tuam was the home of Galway football, could never understand why they didn't repair Tuam stadium instead of Pearse

In fairness bringing the hurlers to Tuam wouldn't really be on. Pearse was seen as neutral territory. In reality Pearse should have been sold (for an absolute fortune given it's location) and a stadium built somewhere around maybe Oranmore.

mckieran

QuoteIn fairness bringing the hurlers to Tuam wouldn't really be on. Pearse was seen as neutral territory. In reality Pearse should have been sold and a stadium built somewhere around maybe Oranmore.

Or out in Claregalway where the training ground is.

The hurlers dont have a whole lot of home games (In championship). But you cannot deny, that if the match was in Tuam yesterday, there would have been more spectators. I am sure it would have attracted at least 5000 more. At the end of the day, surely this will have to tell. Maybe in the future, Pearse hosts connacht matches, Tuam hosts home qualifiers. Somethng like that could be a goer.

spuds

Quote from: mckieran on July 10, 2010, 04:35:07 PM
Glike today just would not appeal to most fans. Especially, When they can sit by the fire and watch it on TV.
herring CHOKERS a strange crowd sitting at fires during the day in the warmest summer in years
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mckieran

Quoteherring CHOKERS a strange crowd sitting at fires during the day in the warmest summer in years

it was a long way from  a warm summers day last saturday in galway. Rained almost as heavily as it did during the flooding last november

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2010, 11:57:24 PM
Galway football support has always been poor but playing games in that dump has really killed it off completely. A total white elephant and waste of GAA money.

Not a football follower, more a supporter of the hurlers but any hurling fans I talk to hate the stadium.  I know myself I'd rather travel to Thurles or to Limerick than go in to Pearse.

mckieran

QuoteNot a football follower, more a supporter of the hurlers but any hurling fans I talk to hate the stadium.  I know myself I'd rather travel to Thurles or to Limerick than go in to Pearse.

A lot of the older generation (guys in their 50's & 60's) from the footballing area of the county wont bother at all with Pearse. But they'd go to every game in Tuam

thebackbar

Guys,

Its a bit of cop out to blame Pearse Stadium for the poor attendance on Saturday, in my opinion the main factors were

1) Galway supporters are very poor, it was every evident at the replay against Sligo where the Galway support was very thin on the ground. Also if you look at minor and u21 matches that are still held in Tuam, Galway supporters are regularly outnumbered.
2) The match was on tv, much easier to stay at home and not get wet
3) 20 euros in, the terrace at 15 euros wasn't an option on Saturday
4) 2pm on a saturday is a lousy time for a match

Having the match in Tuam may have brought a slightly larger crowd, however then you will have people from the west complaining about traffic in Tuam, to say that 5000 would of attended the match is really stretching the imagination.

Part of the reason why Pearse Stadium was done up was to encourage GAA in the city. Given the steady stream of underage titles heading to the city & west things aren't going to bad in that regard.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on July 12, 2010, 12:00:39 AM
Tuam was the home of Galway football

& Castlebar is the home of Mayo Sligo football  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life