What constitutes a good trainer/coach?

Started by Winnie Peg, July 08, 2010, 10:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnie Peg

It's just something that I have been thinking about recently. I hear people saying, such an a person is a good trainer or such an a person is a good coach but what I witness is that everyone does the same the same thing. A few drills with some variations and a lot of cones. Could someone tell me how one stands out from trhe other?

Canalman

For me, a good trainer has the 70 mins or so of training pre planned with lads going from one drill immediately on to another without delay. No standing around between drills.

Also imo, training has to start punctually.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Canalman on July 08, 2010, 10:36:17 AM
For me, a good trainer has the 70 mins or so of training pre planned with lads going from one drill immediately on to another without delay. No standing around between drills.

Also imo, training has to start punctually.

+1

Also changing it up and variety are hugely important for interest of the player.

A good trainer or coach will have player peaking at the right time and have the physical conditioning up to scratch.

Dinny Breen

1. Organisation
2. Excellent communication skills - conveying ideas and also listening for player feedback
3. Training should be based around improving team weaknesses and maintaining strengths, as innovative as it can be where possible
4. An undestanding of player ability
5. A good coach should be constantly evolving..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 08, 2010, 12:59:44 PM
1. Organisation
2. Excellent communication skills - conveying ideas and also listening for player feedback
3. Training should be based around improving team weaknesses and maintaining strengths, as innovative as it can be where possible
4. An undestanding of player ability
5. A good coach should be constantly evolving..

Into what? :D

I agree with all of that, but I'd add as well that while team weaknesses and strengths are the most important, it's also important to pick up on an individuals weaknesses and try to get them to improve individually as well as part of the team.

small white mayoman

the coach has to be able to put their arms around players
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Dinny Breen

QuoteI agree with all of that, but I'd add as well that while team weaknesses and strengths are the most important, it's also important to pick up on an individuals weaknesses and try to get them to improve individually as well as part of the team.

Time is the constraint here, you can work with an individual and help him identify and understand his weaknesses but the onus is the on player to work in improving them but most of coaches at club level have so little time that they primarily need to focus on the team...
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: small white mayoman on July 08, 2010, 01:40:59 PM
the coach has to be able to put their arms around players

I think that's man management. Some lads react to arse kicking, some to plamásing, and some to encouragement. A good man manager has to know the difference, and be able to do whichever is appropriate.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 08, 2010, 01:43:06 PM
QuoteI agree with all of that, but I'd add as well that while team weaknesses and strengths are the most important, it's also important to pick up on an individuals weaknesses and try to get them to improve individually as well as part of the team.

Time is the constraint here, you can work with an individual and help him identify and understand his weaknesses but the onus is the on player to work in improving them but most of coaches at club level have so little time that they primarily need to focus on the team...

I agree. I suppose what I was getting at was that if you are a team that relies on early ball into the full forward line say, and you have a prospective wing back who kicks everything into Ma Reilly's field, you don't just drop him. You do what you mentioned above, and explain what you want from him, and give him a few drills to do on his own.

If he ignores you, then so be it.

ross matt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 08, 2010, 01:43:06 PM

Spot on Dinny. Time constraints like you say plus the pressure for results (silverware) mitigate against individual player coaching and development. Even at club level.

Declan

A good coach's abiding principal should be to make the players at his disposal better players

GalwayBayBoy

A good coach is one that picks you. A bad one is one who doesn't.

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Zulu

I think one of the most important distinctions between a good coach and an average one is that a good coach knows why he is doing what he is doing. A good coach will understand how to physically develop athletes for the sport that they play and, if practical, the position they play. They should also have a clear idea of what they want to achieve (style of play, attacking strategies, defensive systems etc.) but the flexibility to adjust it if it isn't working or diesn't suit the players he has got.

JMohan