I am Pro-union

Started by Lady GAA GAA, June 02, 2010, 03:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady GAA GAA

Zig-all that seems to make sense and shares a lot of my sentiments. I'm all for the union but unionism isn't far behind nationalism here in terms of retardedness.

Northern Ireland,in all likelihood,will cement her place amongst the nations of the world over the next century or two. It's long gone the time people started to accept it and moved past the current impasse.

Billys Boots- sounds like you are one of those that readily accept the current state of play. How is an apologia for Northern Ireland a tired topic? I k kw not of any political party advocating the merits of Northern Ireland. I'm glad people like you don't have a say in my government.

One of he demerits of democracy and all that it entails is that even the idiots get a say/vote in things.

muppet

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on June 02, 2010, 04:46:50 PM
One of he demerits of democracy and all that it entails is that even the idiots get a say/vote in things.

In somes states they can even post.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

I personally think nationalism is ahead of the game over unionism, in selling the positives of their idelogy (if that is indeed the terminlogy) to the electorate.

Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

*Grabs popcorn*

Still waiting for clarification on this aquatic behaviour I am supposed to have indulged in.

Celt_Man

Damn it.. I thought this was a Rugby Union verus Rugby League debate... imagine my disappointment....

oh I'd be a Pro-Union kinda guy.  Rugby League does nothing for me
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 02, 2010, 04:55:53 PM
*Grabs popcorn*

Still waiting for clarification on this aquatic behaviour I am supposed to have indulged in.

The clampett must be writing about the fact that the six were not afforded the opportunity to become part of the republic, he must be one of those eejits that thought Dev was the second coming and Collins was a traitor.

The mind boggles. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mc_grens

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 02, 2010, 03:36:04 PM
You'll be a tremendous loss.....

In fairness to LL he has a point. I'm a Derry man, but have been living in Dublin for around ten years now.

I would put good money on Ireland (as in the 26 counties) telling Northern Ireland to get on their bike if there was a vote to break with the union and join a United Ireland. I just don't get the feeling that the average person down here would want that anymore.

Ulick

Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 06:20:02 PM
I would put good money on Ireland (as in the 26 counties) telling Northern Ireland to get on their bike if there was a vote to break with the union and join a United Ireland. I just don't get the feeling that the average person down here would want that anymore.

Which Party in the south do you think would campaign against it in a referendum?

mc_grens

Quote from: Ulick on June 02, 2010, 06:32:07 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 06:20:02 PM

Which Party in the south do you think would campaign against it in a referendum?

You make a good point I suppose. It's just the feeling I get on a day-to-day basis. Maybe its a Dublin thing and the rest of the country is different?

Ulick

Quote from: mc_grens on June 02, 2010, 06:40:55 PM
You make a good point I suppose. It's just the feeling I get on a day-to-day basis. Maybe its a Dublin thing and the rest of the country is different?

I have no doubt there are many in the south who would like to get rid of us, particularly the west Brit celtic tiger generation, but pricks like that make the mistake of believing it is their country and their decision to make. Thankfully the political establishment, while probably sharing the similar views in private, know differently and as such would never dare campaign openly against reunification. I have no doubt a referendum would pass in the south by 70%, perhaps over 80% if the right deal was struck and a wave of patriotism washed over them.

ardmhachaabu

Interesting comments Lady GAA GAA.  I know that you are not on your own in your thinking too, more and more people are looking at it in a similar vein to yourself from a Nationalist/Catholic background.  I wouldn't describe myself as being pro-union, unless you are talking about the island of Ireland being united.  I think it should be a 32 county state for pragmatic reasons such as the economy, health service, tourism and a host of other reasons yet I am reluctant to accept the yo-yo as everyday currency

On the promotion of the language, I think you are wrong in saying it's for petty tribal political reasons.  There are organisations out there who don't treat it like a political football and are sincere in their approach to it.  hardstation will probably come along and say they are only in it for the money  :D 

mc_grens, I believe you are right and it will take a long time to convince the southern electorate otherwise.  The normalisation of politics here would help it along the way though
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

mc_grens

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 02, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
I think it should be a 32 county state for pragmatic reasons such as the economy, health service, tourism and a host of other reasons

There are organisations out there who don't treat [the Irish Language] like a political football and are sincere in their approach to it.

The normalisation of politics here would help it along the way though

Couldnt agree more on these three points.

Ulick

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 02, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
The normalisation of politics here would help it along the way though

Aye we can see that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pndH-BP0B-g

We can all become good little loyalists and pledge our allegiance to the English Queen. That'll how we step along the road to Irish unity.