New weekly GAA Podcast

Started by laoisgaa, May 14, 2010, 05:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoisgaa

Check out my new weekly GAA podcast at the link including interviews from Armagh, Kerry, Galway and the Laois Minor Ladies camp following their Leinster final win on Wednesday last - http://action81.com/blog/?p=1959

Feedback welcome. It will be available on Itunes shortly also

ONeill

Good to see something like this up and running.

A good listen though the opening jingle needs tinkered with. Something a bit cultural (apart from the 20 Men From Dublin Town pipes). 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoisgaa

All the feedback I've got so far has been about the opening music!!

Peter Solan the Great

I liked the opening jingle i thought it was very appropriate.

ONeill

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on May 15, 2010, 08:30:34 AM

Jazz?

On a personal level, I'd be looking for a segment with bit of chat between two rightly knowledgeable yokes analysing the weekend's games without bland stats and figures. Just two lads who know what they're talking about, throwing in a bit of man-on-the-street humour. Having looked over the previous podcasts on that site, they're heavily weighed down with stats (albeit impressive) which start to blur after a while.

Picture Hardy and Bud locking horns before a Laois/Meath dungfest.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: ONeill on May 15, 2010, 08:52:17 AM
Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on May 15, 2010, 08:30:34 AM

Jazz?

Okay maybe not Jazz, but the word i would use to describe is that famous GAA term "Snazzy" The opening jingle wont replace famous jingles from the Sunday game and match of the day but its a start.

Zapatista

I like it :) At last some decent interviews with GAA sportsmen and women without the usual stupid questions about their favouite movies always seen in written interviews.

laoisgaa

QuoteI like it  At last some decent interviews with GAA sportsmen and women without the usual stupid questions about their favouite movies always seen in written interviews.

Thanks. I was never one for asking lads what they had for breakfast or whether they preferred Club Energise or Lucozade!! Who really cares!

Quote'd be looking for a segment with bit of chat between two rightly knowledgeable yokes analysing the weekend's games without bland stats and figures. Just two lads who know what they're talking about, throwing in a bit of man-on-the-street humour. Having looked over the previous podcasts on that site, they're heavily weighed down with stats (albeit impressive) which start to blur after a while.

It is my intention to have something like this O'Neill each week - I was under extreme pressure to throw this weeks podcast together, so I hadn't time to include that segment - but a good card player never reveals his full hand straight away!

By the way thanks for all the feedback so far! Oh and if anyone has something which they think might be worthy of inclusion for the wider Gaelic games family piece drop me a PM - I'm interested in all aspects of GAA - something on Ulster hurling (not Antrim) and the All-Ireland Feile are ideas I have for future weeks.  Camogie, Ladies Football, Handball etc would also be of interest.

Also I'd be really interested if anyone has a decent Rounders story to tell - something big coming up etc - it really is the neglected GAA sport when it comes to publicity

Zulu

QuoteA good listen though the opening jingle needs tinkered with. Something a bit cultural (apart from the 20 Men From Dublin Town pipes). 

I thought the jingle was grand and the last thing we need is another diddly aye day tune. I like Irish music as much as the next man but we don't need to associate ever GAA show with an Irish tune.

Zapatista

Quote from: Zulu on May 15, 2010, 11:53:56 AM
QuoteA good listen though the opening jingle needs tinkered with. Something a bit cultural (apart from the 20 Men From Dublin Town pipes). 

I thought the jingle was grand and the last thing we need is another diddly aye day tune. I like Irish music as much as the next man but we don't need to associate ever GAA show with an Irish tune.

A tune from one of the many scor members would be appropriate.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: laoisgaa on May 15, 2010, 11:16:24 AM
QuoteI like it  At last some decent interviews with GAA sportsmen and women without the usual stupid questions about their favouite movies always seen in written interviews.

Thanks. I was never one for asking lads what they had for breakfast or whether they preferred Club Energise or Lucozade!! Who really cares!

Quote'd be looking for a segment with bit of chat between two rightly knowledgeable yokes analysing the weekend's games without bland stats and figures. Just two lads who know what they're talking about, throwing in a bit of man-on-the-street humour. Having looked over the previous podcasts on that site, they're heavily weighed down with stats (albeit impressive) which start to blur after a while.

It is my intention to have something like this O'Neill each week - I was under extreme pressure to throw this weeks podcast together, so I hadn't time to include that segment - but a good card player never reveals his full hand straight away!

By the way thanks for all the feedback so far! Oh and if anyone has something which they think might be worthy of inclusion for the wider Gaelic games family piece drop me a PM - I'm interested in all aspects of GAA - something on Ulster hurling (not Antrim) and the All-Ireland Feile are ideas I have for future weeks.  Camogie, Ladies Football, Handball etc would also be of interest.

Also I'd be really interested if anyone has a decent Rounders story to tell - something big coming up etc - it really is the neglected GAA sport when it comes to publicity

You know, there's probably a reason why it's neglected...

If you want this to fly O'Neill's on the money. You have to give people what they want. Good interviews, solid and in-depth analysis. Best of luck with it. I lit a buck on another thread for trying to flog something on a GAA site that no GAA connection at all. At least you are about the GAA. Go n-éirí leat.

laoisgaa

Thanks again lads for the feedback.

The comment on the Rounders is understandable - but while i'm all for the big stuff being promoted - every dog has its day - spent a most enjoyable afternoon at the Ulster SHC Round 2 games in Casement Park today - good standard of hurling and feck all people watching it - it sickens me that this happens year-in, year-out - in fact what am I saying nearly week-in, week-out!

Rest assured I won't be neglecting the big stuff, just want those so called lesser lights a chance to shine also! Oh and if anyone wants to sponsor the podcast I'm open to ideas on that too!

Zapatista

It would be nice to hear from GAA legends who have won nothing, for a change. Most media outlets rely on high profile retired players for analysis even if they haven't a clue. I really liked the fact you interviewed the Laois Ladies Minor and it would be nice to hear more form less mainstream angles. It seems in the mainstream media you need 2 or 3 AI's in order to have an opinion (apart from Tohill and McHugh.. McHugh still hasn't a clue...  ;)).

laoisgaa

GAA legends who have won nothing - someone like Brendan Hayden (Carlow), Leo Turley (Laois) are two that spring to mind - any suggestions on that front - I'd hunt down anybody if they were mentioned. Lots of the initial lads that spring to mind have all one loads!

Bogball XV

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on May 15, 2010, 09:47:13 PM
Quote from: laoisgaa on May 15, 2010, 11:16:24 AM

You know, there's probably a reason why it's neglected...

If you want this to fly O'Neill's on the money. You have to give people what they want. Good interviews, solid and in-depth analysis. Best of luck with it. I lit a buck on another thread for trying to flog something on a GAA site that no GAA connection at all. At least you are about the GAA. Go n-éirí leat.
I haven't listened yet, but will be downloading it for a listen.  I'm not that encouraged by the initial feedback though, i'd like a bit of banter as opposed to the seriousness of an interview.  Take soccer for example, I'm not interested in the factual seriousness one would get from 5live or whatever, I prefer the likes of football weekly on the guardian.  Plenty of opinions from people not afraid to offend sort of thing, you know, what you'd get from the more knowledgeable lads on here (most certainly not myself).  That said, I'll get a listen on Monday, will let you know if it lived up to my wants then.  I'm crying out for a decent gaa podcast though, there is a market, how to make money from it is the problem!!  Good luck.