Aviva Stadium,Dublin

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 20, 2010, 05:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

I got to have a tour of the new Aviva stadium yesterday,its a fantastic looking stadium.
Anyway here are a few pictures I took,the grass is just starting to grow so wasn't allowed on the pitch.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

Looks great even though the small stand still looks a bit silly although you can understand why it's like that. The backyards of the properties behind it go right up to the stadium.

Still feel it should have been 60,000 capacity minimum.

sammymaguire

does look the part, but it also does look like a bedpan from that other thread

where has the wee cotage in the corner gone ???  :o
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Worker

Should be known as Lansdowne Rd

The Subbie

Quote from: The Worker on April 20, 2010, 06:33:06 PM

Beat me to it worker, i will never ever refer to it by its whore name, still fair play to them they did a fine job even if it is about 25,000 short of been a proper world class facility.
The bit I found most interesting is that in 50 years time( i think) it reverts to the ownership of the IRFU, most likely the FAI will still be tipping about the place looking for a home.

magickingdom

Quote from: The Subbie on April 20, 2010, 06:36:19 PM
Quote from: The Worker on April 20, 2010, 06:33:06 PM

Beat me to it worker, i will never ever refer to it by its whore name, still fair play to them they did a fine job even if it is about 25,000 short of been a proper world class facility.
The bit I found most interesting is that in 50 years time( i think) it reverts to the ownership of the IRFU, most likely the FAI will still be tipping about the place looking for a home.

where did you see that? ive wondered why the irfu would hand over half their stadium to the fai. looks fantastic btw, thanks for the photos LL

Donnellys Hollow

Seriously lads? Did they let the Transition Year student on work experience design it?

Those trusses on the roof look awful and will surely restrict viewing from the upper tiers.

Aviva written on the seats?  :-\

No terracing either? The terracing used to make the old Lansdowne. There was always a rocking atmosphere on them for the old 5N matches.

I stand by my judgement on the other thread:   

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 20, 2010, 01:50:14 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on April 20, 2010, 01:08:09 PM
Bring him to the new Deluxe aviva Sadium.....then give him a good kick in the hole and and a dart ticket north to see the a real top class stadium built by muck savages....haha

Bedpan:

Aviva Stadium:

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thejuice

QuoteThose trusses on the roof look awful and will surely restrict viewing from the upper tiers.

Funny thats the first thing I noticed, the angles and the pillars they are standing on don't look great and they do seem to be hanging quite low.

But none the less a fine stadium. Don't know when I'll ever get a chance to go to it though. Last time I was in the old one was for Oasis. Maybe the NFL will bring a game over, fingers crossed.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

Agreed DH. Got a tour of it as our company has a box there. Steaming pile of shite. Anyone sitting on the top deck can't see all of the pitch because they can to compromise the design of the stadium for the cottages on one side of the stadium. Awful design and an awful waste of our money for that level of architecture. Then again with the FAI involved- could it ever have been anything else. Too bloody small as well. 50,000? you could get that even when we were crap at rugby. 38,000 seats to the ordinary punter only.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on April 20, 2010, 08:51:55 PM
Agreed DH. Got a tour of it as our company has a box there. Steaming pile of shite. Anyone sitting on the top deck can't see all of the pitch because they can to compromise the design of the stadium for the cottages on one side of the stadium. Awful design and an awful waste of our money for that level of architecture. Then again with the FAI involved- could it ever have been anything else. Too bloody small as well. 50,000? you could get that even when we were crap at rugby. 38,000 seats to the ordinary punter only.
:D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

cokers

Quote from: thejuice on April 20, 2010, 08:50:58 PM
QuoteThose trusses on the roof look awful and will surely restrict viewing from the upper tiers.

Funny thats the first thing I noticed, the angles and the pillars they are standing on don't look great and they do seem to be hanging quite low.

But none the less a fine stadium. Don't know when I'll ever get a chance to go to it though. Last time I was in the old one was for Oasis. Maybe the NFL will bring a game over, fingers crossed.

Same here. I cant see the NFL being interested though. A college game can draw 100,000 plus.

thejuice

But  Dan Rooney might want a game in Ireland I'd say, will probably be played in Croker though. Maybe we can play the Shamrock bowl played there next year. This year its in Tallaght stadium.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

If the NFL comes to Ireland, it will come to Croker. 80,000 capacity at least is what the NFL wants for games in Europe and you'd fill it easy enough with European fans.

The stadium looks nice, but a bit 'outre'. I'd be seriously pissed if I lived in some of those houses nearby. They're probably worth a pretty penny (or at least cost a pretty penny) and this huge glass house is now looming over you.

The end where it dips down looks very odd, and as mentioned there seems to be a chance of restricted views in places.

Anyhow, it looks nice, like a version of the Allianz Arena in Munich, and it will always be Lansdowne Road to me :D

Billys Boots

I know that the FAI are saying to anyone who's worried about 'views' to come for a stadium tour.  I'd be extremely surprised, in this day and age (the Joe Duffy epoch), if anyone would build a stadium where everyone didn't have a decent view of the pitch. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...