Sports Memorabilia?

Started by balladmaker, March 03, 2010, 02:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Came across a sale of sports memorablilia in Newry a couple of weeks ago, among the items for sale were Ali's white shorts as worn in the below photo.  They were nicely framed, accompanied by the below pic, an Ali autogragh, as well as a certificate of authenticity.....all for £2995.

Are these things for real, I assume they must be?

What item's have you come across?

T Fearon

Wife got me a framed montage of Pele action photos recently, hand signed by the man himself, for just over £100 recently, with plaque, CAO and photographic proof. Quite a bargain!

Generally anything by superstars or deceased superstars is quite expensive (a George Best signed jersey would fetch about £1000 to-day). Have started to collect some stuff myself (mostly won of course ;D) and I suppose the most valuable item would be a framed signed jersey (with 10 signatures including the late Alan Ball) of the 1966 England World Cup winning side.I reckon these things can only appreciate in value when the players pass on to the great football pitch in the sky. Other items include an FA Cup Final programme signed by Pat Jennings and a framed signed photo of Nakamura's goal at Celtic Park V Man Utd which cost me £150 in the Celtic Shop.

Seems like the two key points are superstardom and item rarity. For example an original programme from the Celtic Inter 1967 European Cup Final would set you back at least £200.00.

Also te actual boots worn by Stanley Matthews in the 1953 FA Cup final fetched over £38,000 last week. Bet he hardly made that amount in his entire football career.

Jim_Murphy_74

Have you much OWC memorabilia Tony?

/Jim

T Fearon

Actually I have a fair few OWC programmes from the games I attended over the years (including the 1967 George Best solo show game against Scotland, and the 5-3 win over Austria in 1995,) and indeed there is an unsigned North of Ireland shirt among my collection.

Have, amongst others, the IFA centenary programme from the North of Ireland Sweden World Cup game at Windsor Park, back in 1979/80 and also the George Best testimonial game programme and Pat Jennings Testimonial programme as I attended both games at Windsor Park, and various IFA Cup Final programmes including last season's which I attended.

Also have a photo of myself with Keith Gillespie!

Well the Paisley's were regular readers of the Catholic Universe!

magpie seanie

Quotea framed signed photo of Nakamura's goal at Celtic Park V Man Utd which cost me £150 in the Celtic Shop.

They saw you coming!

Rossie11

Does 4 years old count as memorabilia???
Have a soccer ball signed by most of Barcelona squad in 2005-06 champs league winning team
Ronaldihno Eto'o Messi Xavi Iniesta Deco Puyol etc..
Only man missing is the man who made the difference in the final Larsson..   :(

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on March 03, 2010, 02:26:58 PM
a framed signed photo of Nakamura's goal at Celtic Park V Man Utd which cost me £150 in the Celtic Shop.

For a man who is hungry as fcuk I this shows you are a mug
:D

Hardy

Anybody interested in boxing memorabilia should visit Cronin's pub in Crosshaven,
Co. Cork if they get the chance. They have a great collection of signed gloves
(Hagler and Hearns would be the most notable I can remember), photos,
posters, Ring Magazine and Boxing Illustrated covers, etc.

They used to have a great pint, too, but the last time I was there it was

[Edit - it's easy to forget that what you commit to the internet is there for posterity]

... it wasn't great.

leenie

we've got an oul signed  painting of david beckham when he scored that goal for united fron the halfway line and around the frame is the photos of the shot... theres only 13 in the world apparently..

its in the attic gathering dust!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Norf Tyrone

I bought the offical autobiography of Chelsea FC a few years back, and bumped into Peter Osgood, Chopper Harris, and Peter Bonetti the same day. Got the 3 boys to sign it.

A few months later and Ossie passed on.

It might not have great monetary value, but it's of great sentimental value to me. Very few will have the big man's autograph on the book due to the time span.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

T Fearon

Er, I wanted that Nakamura piece, because I was at the game and it's a limited edition with the Celtic emblem embedded, beautifully framed, and will no doubt increase in value as the years go on ,as no doubt there is a real danger that Champions League participation itself might well become just a memory for Celtic. The game itself is already in the annals of the Celtic great matches.

Also I think it is useful to warn that authentic memoribilia is important, so without proof, even though it may well be authentic (like the Barcelona signed ball), it may be worthless.

One of the most bizarre areas of " memoribilia" I came across was a small ice cream parlour in Sorrento a few years ago. The auld fella that owned the gaff had photos of himself up on the wall with everyone who was anyone,from Sophia Loren to Roberto Baggio :D

T Fearon

Bumped into Chopper Harris? Did he not flatten you, or at least boot you up the arse?

Doogie Browser

Have a pint glass that Paul McGrath drunk out of one night, I was in the pub the next night and the owner was really nice and gave me the glass.

ziggysego

Quote from: leenie on March 03, 2010, 02:59:33 PM
we've got an oul signed  painting of david beckham when he scored that goal for united fron the halfway line and around the frame is the photos of the shot... theres only 13 in the world apparently..

Shoulda thrown in on the fire during the snowy period to keep yerself warm.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on March 03, 2010, 03:11:24 PM
Quote from: leenie on March 03, 2010, 02:59:33 PM

Shoulda thrown in on the fire during the snowy period to keep yerself warm.

Why?