Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: T Fearon on March 21, 2010, 09:38:51 PM

As for young Clarke, well at least he has a full set of teeth to-day which is more than can be said of other so called Down legendary forwards after being marked by teak tough Armagh defenders.

Tony - Is that a source of pride for you?

mountainboii

Not cool camloughlad. I'd take that down.

norabeag

Quote from: AFS on March 22, 2010, 07:11:30 PM
Not cool camloughlad. I'd take that down.
agree. Completely out of order and without factual basis. Legal issues here I reckon

mountainboii

Quote from: illdecide on March 22, 2010, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 11:54:07 AM
Quote from: AFS on March 22, 2010, 11:43:10 AM
Did the TV coverage show any incidents involving McKeever and Clarke, I've it Sky+ed but haven't faced up to watching it yet? I'm assuming comments like these, from those not in attendance on Saturday night, are inspired by video evidence rather than some of the hysterical hearsay by overprotective partisan supporters here and elsewhere.

I think hysterical hearsay is the stock-in-trade of most of the posters on this thread. Caught the highlights last night and the only bit of violent behaviour shown was an attempted elbow by a Down man.

I seen that myself Tac, the Down man clearly trying to take of Moriarty's head off with his elbow at least twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNIHsYpZjDA

If Kearney had connected with either of these attempt it would've done a good deal more damage than McKeever's alleged dig in the ribs  :P

Dubh driocht

The last couple of Armagh posts ( Tony re Mickey and camloughlad) are pathetic.
Regarding the game, this was far from Down's best performance - this came in Newbridge on the opening day.It also showed me what the team can do when they apply themselves and gives justifiable reason for optimism.Armagh are in a period of transition- blending new players, playing people out of position and getting used to new management.Also, apart from Donaghy,Stevie Mc Donnell and Ronan Clarke,  they have no real quality - I think Down have 7 or 8 players who could have made one of our AI winning teams.Up until 2 or 3 years ago, only Benny would have been considered.
For what it's worth, I think Mc Keever is a bit of an empty head but wish he was born in Clonduff rather than Cullyhanna.

ardmhachaabu

Fearon, I won't be replying to any of your abusive PMs

You are an embarrassment to true Armagh supporters everywhere
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

mackers

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 22, 2010, 07:24:39 PM
Regarding the game, this was far from Down's best performance - this came in Newbridge on the opening day.It also showed me what the team can do when they apply themselves and gives justifiable reason for optimism.Armagh are in a period of transition- blending new players, playing people out of position and getting used to new management.Also, apart from Donaghy,Stevie Mc Donnell and Ronan Clarke,  they have no real quality - I think Down have 7 or 8 players who could have made one of our AI winning teams.Up until 2 or 3 years ago, only Benny would have been considered.
For what it's worth, I think Mc Keever is a bit of an empty head but wish he was born in Clonduff rather than Cullyhanna.
What are you basing this on? Saturday Night? Andy Mallon? Kieran Toner? Paul Duffy? C McKeever (his ability isn't questioned by many). As many Armagh posters have said our defence is good enough to take us further, we need a midfield partner for Toner (Vernon IMO) and another couple of scoring forwards.
It's a pity that this thread has turned into an argument over C McKeever..........there's more than that to worry Armagh posters after Saturday evening.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 22, 2010, 07:24:39 PM

Andy Mallon, Aaron Kernan, Charlie Vernon, Kieran  Toner, Kevin Dyas don't do it for you?  Armagh had a very poor game, one I think they'll have a lot from and earlier league performances show to have been greatly against their run of form. Genuinely, M Clarke and Ambrose are the only two Down players I'd take for the Armagh squad. Down are a good team but I believe Armagh's exceptionally poor show has flattered Down somewhat.

Would relish the chance to meet again in the league to get a true reflection.  If Down can produce that performance again then I'll believethere may be some substance to some of your claims. 

T Fearon

There's nothing in particular for Armagh supporters to worry about. Missing many regulars, We lost a NFL Game after winning three in a row with a young and inexperienced side principally because of an incompetent referee who sent one of our players off for no apparent reason.

bennydorano

Armagh people change like the wind.  Partner for Toner?  Few weeks back it was get Toner into FB he's not a midfielder and Vernon was the undisputed N#1 choice, unbelieveable one game and it's all change.  If it's not Toner and Vernon in MF come championship time I'll be truely amazed. They are already a formidable intercounty partnership (at 22 & 23 yrs of age) and can only get better.

The chat about McKeever is laughable.  I wish he was a Harps man and I'm glad he's with us and not against us on the county scene. 

PatDaly

Can anyone record the Down v Armagh game for me? I'll pay. PM me if you can help

Setanta Ireland are showing a recording on Wed March 24th at 3am

http://www.setanta.com/ien/TV-Listings/
Setanta Ireland
Wed, March 24 at 03:00
Down v Armagh
GAA National Football League coverage.

yellowcard

A few points from Saturdays game from an Armagh perspective:

The goalkeeper position is still up in the air as McAvoy has yet to convince that he is the long term solution. However I would stick with him for the remainder of the League since we already know what Hearty can do.

The defence is very solid, however Duffy may be better served at half back leaving a postion available at corner back (P Kernan, P McKeown)

Toner is developing into a very good midfielder and together with Vernon they can form the bedrock of future Armagh teams for years to come.

Aaron Kernan is not a half forward. He needs a lot of open space to operate in and is slightly ponderous in tight situations. I welcomed the idea of playing him in the half forwards but it clearly hasn't worked. Either play him wing half back or nowhere.

The lack of scoring threat from forwards outside of Clarke and McDonnell persists. However some of the management decisions in this regard were infuriating.
Swift had scored 2 points, was playing well and was strangely withdrawn.
Henderson was made a scapegoat just to get a clearly unfit Vernon on the pitch whilst Forker was withdrawn prematurely after a great performance against Kildare. Bringing off those players who at least carried a scoring threat, in preference to workhorses like M Mackin and T Kernan who have had umpteen chances to prove themselves were poor calls from the line.

As for the McKeever incident I think it was a storm in a tea-cup. Granted he should not have got involved with the crowd but the abuse he took from the Down crowd was disgraceful.

Down look to be well drilled outfit with some good forwards but I would see more potential for a sustained championship riun from this Armagh side.

In the Onion Bag

Am I the only one sick of Tony & Trevor? 
Please Please Please, stop responding to their comments which are not worthy of true gaels.

Tony's manic rants and irrational posts are clearly part his the coping strategy for dealing with dissapointment and rejection (It was only a NL Div 2 game. Your shrink would not approve such a regressional approach).

He even rounds on fellow Armagh fans, clear evidence of a rat in a corner.  Trevor Hill isn't much better but I note he has stepped back from posting in reaction to Tony.  Congrats Trevor on claiming the higher ground, albeit it only slightly above worm level but please keep it up.

Legends:  Francie v McKeever - no contest.

Francie dispodging teeth from a real legend - don't think Francie will claim that as one of his greatest moments.

Please return to comments about the game itself and please keep it real.

mackers

Quote from: bennydorano on March 22, 2010, 08:02:18 PM
Armagh people change like the wind.  Partner for Toner?  Few weeks back it was get Toner into FB he's not a midfielder and Vernon was the undisputed N#1 choice, unbelieveable one game and it's all change.  If it's not Toner and Vernon in MF come championship time I'll be truely amazed. They are already a formidable intercounty partnership (at 22 & 23 yrs of age) and can only get better.

The chat about McKeever is laughable.  I wish he was a Harps man and I'm glad he's with us and not against us on the county scene. 
Benny if that's aimed at me I did say in my post that Charlie was the partner IMO.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armamike

This was always going to be a hard game for Armagh to win. An easy one for Down to be up for.  For Armagh there were few positives but no need to hit the panic button after one defeat.  I'd like to have seen the management stick with Forker and Henderson longer -after they went off any scoring threat wasn't there.  Daft decisions like playing Vernon in full forward don't inspire confidence - let's hope there's not too many more like that to come.

Down look to have improved a lot this year, but the jury's out till the championship.
That's just, like your opinion man.