Colm McCullagh retired from Inter County Football?

Started by Celt_Man, February 05, 2010, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Tyrone have been stunned by the intercounty retirement of attacking ace Colm McCullagh.

The 32-year-old Dromore clubman won All-Irelands with the O'Neill County in 2005 and 2008 and was a leading threat for Tyrone last year, picking up an All Star nomination for his assured performances.

However, Mickey Harte has confirmed that he's now planning without the man who landed 1-21 in last season's SFC:

"Colm has been a great servant to Tyrone football and he has made his decision and we have to respect that."

Bit of a surprise there surely or was it to be expected? 
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Fear ón Srath Bán

A surprise CM, to me at least (and to one or two Dromore folk too I believe).

All the best to him, owes the County nothing.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 05, 2010, 12:58:00 PM
A surprise CM, to me at least (and to one or two Dromore folk too I believe).

All the best to him, owes the County nothing.

Indeed he doesn't.  I didn't realise he was as "old" as he is, didn't think he was in his 30s anyway
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

GalwayBayBoy

He's 32? For some reason I thought he was only in his mid-20's.

mountainboii

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 05, 2010, 01:02:19 PM
He's 32? For some reason I thought he was only in his mid-20's.

Probably because he spent a lot of his twenties tied up with soccer. What age was he when he started to play regularly for Tyrone, must've been 27/ 28?

sammymaguire

fair play to him wish him the best - EDIT: balls, eh's back already, friggin wish he'd had enjoyed his retirement  :D  :D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

haranguerer

take_yer_points

Spoke to soon lads - he's returned already!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8500566.stm

Colm McCullagh reverses decision to quit Tyrone squad 

Colm McCullagh has won two senior All-Ireland medals
Tyrone forward Colm McCullagh will return to his county's football squad after reversing his decision to quit Reds Hand duty.

McCullagh told Mickey Harte last month that he was quitting county football because of work and family commitments.

However, the BBC has learned that McCullagh has had a change of heart following further discussions with the Tyrone management.

McCullagh should be available for next week's Allianz NFL game against Mayo.

Dromore clubman McCullagh was a member of the 2005 squad that won the Sam Maguire Cup for the second time.

He also played a starring role in Tyrone's 2008 triumph although an injury picked up in the decider against Kerry probably prevented him from winning an All Star.

McCullagh hit 1-21 in their championship campaign and earned an All Star nomination.

Speaking before news of McCullagh's change of heart was revealed, Mickey Harte acknowledged the part played by the Dromore man in Tyrone's success and stated that the door wasn't closed on the forward.

"Colm has been a great servant to Tyrone football and he has made his decision and we have to respect that," said Harte.

"He has a young family as well as work commitments and has decided to concentrate on club football with Dromore.

"He was outstanding for us when we won the All Ireland two years ago, a very serious player.

"He was very unfortunate to pick up a dead leg so early in the All Ireland final and I've no doubt that cost him an All Star award.

"In his early days he was always capable of beating players and taking his own score while of course he is a very reliable free taker but in recent seasons I feel that his game had really developed.

"He added more to his game in a play making role and there is no doubt that we will miss him."

GalwayBayBoy

ziggysego

He's trying to do a Stevie O'Neill.

Colly, wait until/if we make the final. Not the morning after you announced your retirement ;)
Testing Accessibility

stephenite

orangeman

He came back quicker than Paddy Bradley last year - must be a record.

thebandit