Nixon: AFL coaches to join GAA county management teams

Started by thejuice, January 14, 2010, 03:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=122523

Ricky Nixon has revealed that he has been approached by two unnamed county boards about the possibility of drafting Aussie Rules coaches into their set-up.

And the controversial sports agent, who has recruited Tommy Walsh among others to play in the AFL, is convinced that Aussie Rules coaches will come to Ireland in the near future as counties continue to seek an edge over their counterparts.

He told the Irish Daily Star: "A couple of counties have spoken to me about whether I can help them transport the professionalism of AFL to their counties in regards to fitness, strength and conditioning, tactics, etc.

"And that's going to happen. I can see that coming a mile away. If you took an assistant coach from Australia and you plonked him in one of the counties here, I have no doubt the county will get to the All-Ireland very quickly.

"Even just through the fact that it's amateur and professional - take the professionalism across. That's what we have looked at. Everyone thinks it's a one-way street. It's not.

"If we took the coaching strategies from AFL to Gaelic football, it is going to make the game better."

There you go lads, that's all it takes to win Sam. Get your county board to fork out the money.

Which county boards might have approached him or is this just bullshit on his part?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Radioulster

You have to give it to him he loves a good line but he does talk some dung they must have a very even compettition in aussie rules if all you need is a good coach ::) players obviously are'nt that important though I suppose if our boys can go over and master the game in less than a year then maybe he has a point

micka the dub

Zulu

I'm surprised it has taken this long to be mentioned. I wouldn't pay a guy to come over here and coach a county team but it makes sense to me that some of them should be brought here to hold a few clinics or spend a month or so here to advise and direct a training program for the year. We have some good coaches doing good things but we also have some horrible coaching practices still prevelant. Why shouldn't we look to learn off coaches in one of the leading sports countries in the world?

magickingdom

a lot of counties could get to all irelands very quickly if they had the right set up and dedication. that partially why kerry succeed.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on January 15, 2010, 10:38:56 AM
I'm surprised it has taken this long to be mentioned. I wouldn't pay a guy to come over here and coach a county team but it makes sense to me that some of them should be brought here to hold a few clinics or spend a month or so here to advise and direct a training program for the year. We have some good coaches doing good things but we also have some horrible coaching practices still prevelant. Why shouldn't we look to learn off coaches in one of the leading sports countries in the world?

Because I have yet to hear of one of them having any input to winning an All-Ireland. If any county thinks this is the difference they are entitled to their own delusions.

Celt_Man

Quote from: magickingdom on January 15, 2010, 07:52:55 PM
a lot of counties could get to all irelands very quickly if they had the right set up and dedication. that partially why kerry succeed.

Amazing!!! That's the secret... now why didn't some counties other than Kerry try that...  ::)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Celt_Man on January 16, 2010, 12:42:56 AM

Amazing!!! That's the secret... now why didn't some counties other than Kerry try that...  ::)

Well, seeing as you know it all so, why are Cavan so shite ?

magickingdom

you tell me, its not rocket science. why cant a bunch of 15 footballers from cavan get to the final of a 32 team competition every couple of decades? its not that hard

Zulu

Quote from: INDIANA on January 15, 2010, 08:29:02 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 15, 2010, 10:38:56 AM

Because I have yet to hear of one of them having any input to winning an All-Ireland. If any county thinks this is the difference they are entitled to their own delusions.

Is that your answer to my question why shouldn't we look for advice from coaches in one of the worlds leading sports countries? If so your reply is the strangest logic I've ever read. All sports can learn from each other and physical preparation isn't that different, regardless of the sport, so we can definitely learn plenty from them. Secondly AR is as close a sport as there is to football so in terms of technical and tactical advancements there is a lot of scoop for crossover. But I suppose it would just be another step on the road to professionalism, hey why don't we build a wall around Ireland altogether, that'll prevent our lads getting any fancy notions about themselves?

Celt_Man

Quote from: magickingdom on January 16, 2010, 11:24:06 AM

you tell me, its not rocket science. why cant a bunch of 15 footballers from cavan get to the final of a 32 team competition every couple of decades? its not that hard

And of course it's bloody hard!!  If it was a matter of logistics and decidcation every county would have won a all ireland at some stage!!   Don't just make it about Cavan!!

tyssam5

So what kind of a visa does this fvcknut Nixon have in his passport anyway? Does he have the right to 'work' in Ireland, can we not show him the doors?

Zulu

magickingdom

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 22, 2010, 06:50:27 PM

And of course it's bloody hard!!  If it was a matter of logistics and decidcation every county would have won a all ireland at some stage!!   Don't just make it about Cavan!!

what is it then? i told a bunch of sligo supporters in tralee last summer that sligo could easily win an all ireland after kerrys one point win. they looked at me as if i was nuts and said kerry would win nothing. they were wrong on both counts. when i went to collage in dublin i found the standard of footballers from all around ireland to be the same as in kerry. yet why cant cavan or football mad mayo win all irelands every couple of decades (not years)?

Celt_Man

Quote from: magickingdom on February 22, 2010, 09:06:28 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 22, 2010, 06:50:27 PM

what is it then? i told a bunch of sligo supporters in tralee last summer that sligo could easily win an all ireland after kerrys one point win. they looked at me as if i was nuts and said kerry would win nothing. they were wrong on both counts. when i went to collage in dublin i found the standard of footballers from all around ireland to be the same as in kerry. yet why cant cavan or football mad mayo win all irelands every couple of decades (not years)?

Jaysus if I knew the answer to that one....