First Fianna Fail MLA

Started by A Quinn Martin Production, December 01, 2009, 12:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8387810.stm

McHugh is 'first Fianna Fail MLA'

For the first time, Fianna Fail has an elected representative in the Northern Ireland Assembly, it has been reported.

The Irish News said the independent assembly member, Gerry McHugh, has joined the party. Speaking about his decision, Mr McHugh told the paper he had found "his natural home" in Fianna Fail. Mr McHugh left Sinn Fein two years ago complaining that they had become "undemocratic" and said he disagreed with the direction the party had taken. The 52-year-old, who represents the Fermanagh/South Tyrone constituency, told Tuesday's Irish News: "It is clear to me that Fianna Fail remains the only party which can articulate a republican vision, representative of every town and village in the country". The move comes more than two years after the former Fianna Fail Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, announced his party was to organise in Northern Ireland.

Reports of a possible link-up with the SDLP to take on Sinn Fein's assertion that it was the only "all-island party" did not materialise however, and last summer, his successor Brian Cowen ruled out the probability of an imminent deal. Gerry McHugh had been a member of Sinn Fein for over 30 years when he resigned from the party exactly two years ago this week. At the time he said the direction Sinn Fein was taking was "more about appeasement of the British government and administrating British rule in Ireland rather than working towards the end of British occupation". Sinn Fein rejected his claims and questioned why he had not raised his concerns within the party before making them public. As well as taking his seat in the assembly, where he sits on the Enterprise, Trade and Investment Committee, Mr McHugh is also a member of Fermanagh District Council.

Outside politics, the father-of three describes himself as an "energetic hill-walker" and takes an active interest in heritage and farming issues.

Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

redhugh

I just heard him interviewed on Radio Ulster. It sounds very confusing,he claims that he is now a member of Fianna Fáil,but is still an Independant MLA?It would seem that the BBC's headline is nonsense then.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: redhugh on December 01, 2009, 01:25:27 PM
I just heard him interviewed on Radio Ulster. It sounds very confusing,he claims that he is now a member of Fianna Fáil,but is still an Independant MLA?It would seem that the BBC's headline is nonsense then.

Heard that as well - he sounds like a man who is trying to ensure he still has a seat after the next election - he claims that Fermanagh has alot of FF supporters! Don't think he will hold onto the mainstream republican vote.
Tbc....

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

Heard that as well - he sounds like a man who is trying to ensure he still has a seat after the next election - he claims that Fermanagh has alot of FF supporters! Don't think he will hold onto the mainstream republican vote.

Don't think any county has a lot of FF supporters at the minute!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on December 01, 2009, 01:52:56 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on December 01, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

Don't think any county has a lot of FF supporters at the minute!

Would think Gerry is hoping to suck up the SDLP voters in his area to replace the ones he'll lose siince leaving SF.
Tbc....

barelegs

Mr McHugh would need to be worried about his own vote. During the local by-election last year his daughter polled 2.5% of the vote. That Sinn Féin won't get two seats here in another Assembly election is unthinkable- so it'll be between the SDLPs Tommy Gallagher and McHugh of Fianna Fail for the last 'nationalist' seat.

I know from a couple of friends from the north who are in Fianna Fáil that they are seeking to enter assembly elections in 2011. They can't do this until it get Ard Fheis approval and so while McHugh may be a Fianna Fail member, he isn't technically a Fianna Fail member of the Assembly at least not until this is approved by an Ard Fheis and registered in the assembly as such.

Caid

McHugh's daughter is 17 and it was a token nomination to give her experience of elections I tihnk - she was never going to be a credible candidate.

McHugh himself is something of an interesting character.  The Sunday World had an expose on him a few years back - they revealed that he was having an affair with the daughter of an SAS soldier.  Thus the circumstances around his departure from Sinn Fein for "ideological" differences are now crystal clear
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Orior

I'm hoping that the Monster Raving Looney party stand in the next election in the north.

No, wait, hang on, the TUV will do nicely.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Caid

What would the Political Landscape in the North be like now if De Valera had established FF in the North at the same time as founding them in the South?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Gnevin

Quote from: Caid on December 01, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
McHugh's daughter is 17 and it was a token nomination to give her experience of elections I tihnk - she was never going to be a credible candidate.

McHugh himself is something of an interesting character.  The Sunday World had an expose on him a few years back - they revealed that he was having an affair with the daughter of an SAS soldier.  Thus the circumstances around his departure from Sinn Fein for "ideological" differences are now crystal clear

Surely you have to be old enough to vote to be old enough to stand?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Caid

Of course - yeah.  She was 18.  Got 158 votes apparantly

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Caid on December 01, 2009, 04:38:20 PM
What would the Political Landscape in the North be like now if De Valera had established FF in the North at the same time as founding them in the South?

Would the Unionists have allowed him?
Tbc....

gerry

I was speaking to him last week about the floods in enniskillen and if that conversation was anything to go by, i can't see him getting in on the next elections
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,