Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

That story is true enough Bingobus, The boys got a yellow card and a bit of a doing but that was the end of it.

I think that's right about the other 2 as well, heard the names, you wouldn't have to guess to hard

bingobus

I would imagine it would be one of Mulligan, Fitzpatrick and Markey. Prob one of first two, as they have been their before and wouldn't want another spin on the bench.

Only other one would be the nephew but dounbt he'd walk  :)

bingobus

Owen Duffy and Stephen Fitzpatrick.

timmyot501

Wouldn't blame Fitzpatrick. Was the best prospect during the McKenna cup and never got a sniff during the league. Considering some of the performances from our various number 4's he should have been thrown in at some stage (even if he is a more noted half back). Bit surprised at Duffy leaving. Should have been thrown in v Westmeath when we were struggeling in the half forwards but wasn't. That was bound to annoy.

donelli

Anyone know if there is a new monaghan jersey out this year???
Want to buy one for my cousin abroad, but would rather avoid buiying it this week to see it replaced in 3 weeks time.

goldenyears

what was the monaghan team that started v down at the weekend lads?

also can anyone give me an update on the new training complex opening please? 6 pitches I hear?

KIDDO 4

Cavan 1.16 Monaghan 2.15 in the ulster  hurling  championship   this afternoon in Cavan .

donelli

promote the gaa  ;D

had to cringe today. i was at the corduff truagh game today in cremartin. good game and corduff deserved their victory.
however, had to laugh at our county treasurer who spent most of the game time inside cremartin's club house watching the finale of the premiership season on sky.
if this is the attitude the admin at county level consider our own games, you have to wonder how are we to move the usual barstoolers to attend games this summer....

timmyot501

Any IFC reports? Hear Emyvale just managed to hold on against Rockcorry and Ballybay were hard pushed by Seans.  Corduff surprised Truagh by a goal.  On Saturday Aughnamullen beat Cremartin and Donaghmoyne beat Eire Og but had Rory Woods red carded near the end. 

KIDDO 4

Monaghan 1.15 Donegal 1.14 ulster hurling championship in Clones, this afternoon.

KIDDO 4

Freeman gunning for success
GAVIN CUMMISKEY

TOMMY FREEMAN was working away last Thursday when a freak accident resulted in a nail gun puncturing a hole in his hand. The Monaghan All Star's ninth championship season was immediately put in doubt.

In reality, Freeman should be a complete write-off from any activity this summer, never mind intercounty football. Somehow, fate decreed that he would make a remarkable recovery to feature against Fermanagh in Enniskillen just three days later.

"The nail stuck in my hand," he explained at the Adidas boot launch yesterday. "They had to do a few X-rays to see if there was any tendon or bone damage and there wasn't. Then Friday came and they took me down to theatre and I went under an anaesthetic and was out for about an hour."

Surely it had a negative effect on his performance? Freeman did after all finish up with a mere three points, two from frees, in the 2-8 to 0-10 defeat that sees Monaghan condemned to nine weeks of inactivity while they await the qualifiers.

"I told Seamus (McEnaney, managaer) on Friday night if I wasn't 100 per cent fit to play I wouldn't play as I would be letting down my team-mates. I felt I was 100 per cent and Seamus took it on board. He was happy enough with me too."

Despite a severely damaged right hand, Freeman could have claimed another 1-2 that would have kept Monaghan on course for a return to the provincial final. "Hitting the crossbar twice, these things happen, other days they go over and then the goal chance cleared off the line. It was just one of those days when the ball wouldn't go between the posts."

The obvious explanation for those outside the county is that the burden of expectation led to a mediocre collective performance. Losing by the narrowest of margins to Kerry in last year's All-Ireland quarter-final has increased the profile of Monaghan football.

Freeman dismisses such a theory out of hand. "Fermanagh looked hungrier for the ball on the day and the best team won."

Could the lengthy lay-off result in mass defection? "It's not for me to say but I'm certainly confidant we'll stay together," said Freeman. "This is a fairly young Monaghan side. We've no silverware to show . . . a Division Two league title we won a couple of years ago but we're still hungry for success."

© 2008 The Irish Times

Mhic Easmuint

Draw is tonight (Friday 30th May) at approx. 9.30pm.

Online sales at http://antrim.gaa.ie finish at 8.45pm

Your last chance to get a ticket to win one of the great prizes.  

Funds generated to go towards the planned Centre of Excellence.
Plans and Video Fly-through available on the website:
http://antrim.gaa.ie/centre-of-excellence/

bingobus

Terrible news for the Doohamlet club over the weekend. Tragic loss.

Condolesences to Duffy family and the club. RIP.

thebandit

redcard

Monaghan minors beat Derry this eveing to set up an Ulster final with Tyrone