Obama wins Nobel Peace prize

Started by mhacadoir, October 09, 2009, 10:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhacadoir

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8298580.stm

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize 

US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

PadraicHenryPearse

So how will republicans, right wing, and fox news respond to this?

PHP

Shamrock Shore

WTF!

How did this happen?
Did I miss something?
Did he solve Middle East/Afghanistan/Iraq/Darfur crises(es). Destroy 1,000,000 nuclear missiles.

I must have been asleep for the past year.

Offaly rejoices.

orangeman

Must have been a very quiet year !

Hard to believe - I thought this was a wind up to begin with.

Doogie Browser

This is a bit of a joke to be honest, lets call a spade a spade here, he gets it for being the first black president.  Bruce Forsyth will not he happy, it wasn't like this in his day.

Maiden1

He has only been president for 5 minutes and last time I looked they where increasing the troop numbers in Afganistan.  Then again if Henry Kissenger can win the nobel peace prize then anyone can.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Gnevin

Bono was more deserving of a Nobel
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Gnevin on October 09, 2009, 10:35:55 AM

When, in 1961?

Oh sorry, you mean his ego needs even more massaging?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 09, 2009, 10:40:52 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 09, 2009, 10:35:55 AM

When, in 1961?

Oh sorry, you mean his ego needs even more massaging?

I was been facetious .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

playwiththewind1st

Was Nelson McCausland not due to be given it, for his sterling work across the divide with his very good friends, the GAA ?

omagh_gael

No, it was actually Mc Causland and Willie Frazer running as a double ticket, bad luck fella's

deiseach

I'm dreading tyrones own's take on this, laden with emoticons and non-sequiturs. What's worse, his scorn will be totally justified. What the heck has Obama done to deserve it? The Nobel Prize committee are just picking Obama to stick it to Bush.

tyronefan

how can he win a peace prize and the US involved in 2 major wars at the minute

deiseach

Quote from: tyronefan on October 09, 2009, 11:46:22 AM
how can he win a peace prize and the US involved in 2 major wars at the minute

Not only that, Obama is indulging the ambitions of people who want to start another war. As Green Greenwald noted recently, "No other country sits around debating, as a routine and permanent feature of its political discussions, whether this country or that one should be bombed next, or for how many more years conquered targets should be occupied".

playwiththewind1st

If Trimble can waltz down Garvaghy Road & end up getting it, any ould eejit can get it too.

Obama probably threatened to nuke Oslo, if he didn't get it, so the Committee probably didn't have much choice.