The Bible

Started by Aerlik, September 28, 2009, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Serious question,
apart from the stuff we did in R.E. class at school, has anyone ever done Bible study course?  I ask because there's an 8-week course being run by our church in Perth and I'm keen to go along.  I have images of US-style bible-bashing and the hallelujah brigade which will be a major turn-off.

My good mate, a Muslim, has been telling me about the very close links between the Koran and the Old Testament.  There's a prayer to Mary in it.  And, Muslims venerate the name of Mary when they use it as she was the mother of the prophet Jesus.  Not quite the same links to the Talmud though.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

nifan

QuoteMy good mate, a Muslim, has been telling me about the very close links between the Koran and the Old Testament.

The Bible is seen as a holy book by muslims - they believe in Jesus (as a prophet second to muhamed) etc.

I think the old testament would be similar as islam and judaism's origins are pretty much the same - i think i read before that the difference starts at which son abraham was going to sacrifice.

Aerlik

I'm looking forward to the discussion about the Council of Nicaea (sp) in 325AD (sp).
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

man in black

Quote from: Aerlik on September 28, 2009, 08:54:51 AM
Serious question,
apart from the stuff we did in R.E. class at school, has anyone ever done Bible study course?  I ask because there's an 8-week course being run by our church in Perth and I'm keen to go along.  I have images of US-style bible-bashing and the hallelujah brigade which will be a major turn-off.

My good mate, a Muslim, has been telling me about the very close links between the Koran and the Old Testament.  There's a prayer to Mary in it.  And, Muslims venerate the name of Mary when they use it as she was the mother of the prophet Jesus.  Not quite the same links to the Talmud though.

Can i ask what country this Muslim mate of yours hails from ?
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Orior

Flip, there's a lot of religious stuff on the board these days.

I'd say that the Bible class would be interesting. And there's always a few young nubile uninitiated women at those thing Aerlik.

I think when reviewing the Bible, you've got to remember the context, i.e.

The Earth was flat
The Sun revolved around the Earth
Ireland was united
The world began some 6000 years earlier
Slavery was okay
It was a six day week
Religious people ruled

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mylestheslasher

I think it would be a very interesting thing to do as long as it is not run by people with a vested interest in having you believe their interpretation of the bible!

SLIGONIAN

The Bible, i dont know what to make of it to be honest, its up to you own interpretation, religious leaders in muslim world interpretated the quran to suit an agenda to treat women as second class citizens although its changing, i dont think ive ever met a more hyprocritical and poisnoneous race of people in all my life. Stories I could tell.

Should be a interesting course, but still not sure its all true. All religions cant be right. Someones lying.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

man in black

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 28, 2009, 11:17:31 AM
The Bible, i dont know what to make of it to be honest, its up to you own interpretation, religious leaders in muslim world interpretated the quran to suit an agenda to treat women as second class citizens although its changing, i dont think ive ever met a more hyprocritical and poisnoneous race of people in all my life. Stories I could tell.

Should be a interesting course, but still not sure its all true. All religions cant be right. Someones lying.

Would agree with that. Guttersnipes one and all.

nifan

Quote from: man in black on September 28, 2009, 11:22:23 AM

Who are guttersnipes? All muslims? Or their religious leaders?

man in black

Quote from: nifan on September 28, 2009, 12:00:36 PM
Quote from: man in black on September 28, 2009, 11:22:23 AM

Who are guttersnipes? All muslims? Or their religious leaders?

All of them

nifan

Sure they are all the same ::)

What is it about them all that grates you so much

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: nifan on September 28, 2009, 01:09:45 PM

99% is a fair percentage of guttersnipes. No exaragtion, living here you see it everyday. If you wanted to hate the world this is a good place to come.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

man in black

Hypocrisy, tight fisted miserable hoors, cowards, women beaters - i lived in a muslim state for a couple of years and i know all about them. Plus they look down their noses at everyone that thinks allah was a ballix.

man in black

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 28, 2009, 01:14:26 PM

99% is a fair percentage of guttersnipes. No exaragtion, living here you see it everyday. If you wanted to hate the world this is a good place to come.

Where are you Sligonian ?

nifan

I assume you have no, and would refuse to have, muslim friends then.

Muslims who I know are certainly not the stereotype you portray.