Magpies' Marty Clarke heads home to Ireland

Started by snatter, September 24, 2009, 08:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: ludermor on September 25, 2009, 05:04:28 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 25, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: ludermor on September 25, 2009, 03:30:25 PM
When was Declan O Mahony there? Is it the same lad that was on the panel last year?

He went after winning the U21 AI in 2003 - he got homesick/didn't settle at Christmas and never came back - afaik, they tried to persuade him to give it a go.

He featured in the O'Byrne cup this year same as Devine, but his real chance was blown in 2006/7-  he had plenty of chances over a 4/5 period but never really cut it at Senior level.
Cheers for that, he was working for us last year when he was on the panel but seemed to get sent off every second game he played! never knew he went to Oz

I think he will be recalled luder- he is in the form of his life for Boden at present. Himself and Michael Mc Auley are the best midfield partnership in the county by a mile. If they play well next thursay night -they will be shoe ins for the panel next season.

downgirl

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 24, 2009, 01:09:49 PM
The burning question is will Downgirl remain true to Benny?

No way, sure Benny is way down the list now!!!!  Marty Clarke is far better looking, especially now he is all buffed up from all the Aussie Rules training!!!  Oh he's lovely!

On a more serious note, glad to see he is back purely from a selfish point of view in that it should give the county panel a good mental boost of having a player of his calibre on the panel. 

saffron sam2

Quote from: Aerlik on September 25, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on September 24, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
Would he not have been in line to get a contract making reasonable money soon? Presume he was on a rookie contract before? Has he been playing this year?

A mate in Melbourne, a 200% Collingwood fan, mentioned that the arrival of Nathan Buckley as the assistant coach and the eventual retirement of Mick Malthouse had implications for MC. 

Quote from: Gold on September 24, 2009, 10:53:42 PM
Could the GAA actually be getting a good deal in these Aussies transfers. We are getting some of our best young players 2/3 years of top class conditioning and insight into a professional sport.

Derry used an Aussie Sports psychologist in 1993.

and McNicholl regressed???  FFS, dd you ever see him after Australia?  True he was a superstar at minor level, playing a MacRory final at either 13 or 14 and senior inter-county not long afterwards.  But he still had a bit of puff in the tank after coming back from Australia.

Wonder if he'll be shouting for St.Kilda tomorrow.

As one of those who stated that McNicholl had regressed on his return from Australia, I have to admit to being somewhat disingenuous.

Truth is that McNicholl was well past his peak by the time he left for Australia, he was probably regressing even from the time he passed his A level.

He would have been 27/28 in 1993, yet couldn't make it into a Derry half-forward line that was comfortably outscored in the All-Ireland final by Johnny McGurk.

The Dermot McNicholl of 84 - 87ish was as good as anyone of that or any other era. The 93 one wasn't.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 25, 2009, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on September 25, 2009, 12:26:48 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on September 24, 2009, 07:58:21 PM
Would he not have been in line to get a contract making reasonable money soon? Presume he was on a rookie contract before? Has he been playing this year?

A mate in Melbourne, a 200% Collingwood fan, mentioned that the arrival of Nathan Buckley as the assistant coach and the eventual retirement of Mick Malthouse had implications for MC. 

Quote from: Gold on September 24, 2009, 10:53:42 PM
Could the GAA actually be getting a good deal in these Aussies transfers. We are getting some of our best young players 2/3 years of top class conditioning and insight into a professional sport.

Derry used an Aussie Sports psychologist in 1993.

and McNicholl regressed???  FFS, dd you ever see him after Australia?  True he was a superstar at minor level, playing a MacRory final at either 13 or 14 and senior inter-county not long afterwards.  But he still had a bit of puff in the tank after coming back from Australia.

Wonder if he'll be shouting for St.Kilda tomorrow.

As one of those who stated that McNicholl had regressed on his return from Australia, I have to admit to being somewhat disingenuous.

Truth is that McNicholl was well past his peak by the time he left for Australia, he was probably regressing even from the time he passed his A level.

He would have been 27/28 in 1993, yet couldn't make it into a Derry half-forward line that was comfortably outscored in the All-Ireland final by Johnny McGurk.

The Dermot McNicholl of 84 - 87ish was as good as anyone of that or any other era. The 93 one wasn't.
McNicholl's best year for Derry was 1987, I think he left at the end of that season, by the time he came back any scoring ability he ever had was long gone, probably not helped by playing with the oval ball.

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Bogball XV

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 25, 2009, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 25, 2009, 09:48:35 PM
So are you agreeing with me?
I agree with the gist of what you posted, but I don't agree that he was well past his peak when he left, I think that was his best ever season at senior level for derry.

Mourne Rover

Redandgreensniper mentioned earlier that Clarke was not at his best in the 2005 AI minor final, which is true. However, he had a hand injury that day and probably should not have started. He still did well, and I don't think he ever had a bad game for the minors.

It is very difficult to compare players from different periods, but I would say he was better than Coulter at the same age and around the same as the young Blaney. Although there are no guarantees about his transition to senior level, and we still have to sort out our defence, Clarke's return is the best news Down football has had in 15 years.  He has the talent, pace and football brain to bring out the best in all those around him.

Jinxy

He didn't strike me as being particularly fast.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

McNicholl seemed to get smashed on a regular basis on the field. Must've taken a toll on the body.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mourne Rover

In all the big games for Down and St Louis, Clarke had natural pace as well as speed of thought. When did you think he struggled to keep up, Jinxy ?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 26, 2009, 12:40:34 AM
In all the big games for Down and St Louis, Clarke had natural pace as well as speed of thought. When did you think he struggled to keep up, Jinxy ?

I've watched him playing aussie rules.
He seems pretty one paced but has a great engine.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Laoch

Quote from: wobbller on September 24, 2009, 11:22:37 PM
  At the end of clip it looked as if he was getting up.

I think that was just a bounce

HeaveHo

Quote from: Jinxy on September 26, 2009, 01:21:21 AM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 26, 2009, 12:40:34 AM

I've watched him playing aussie rules.
He seems pretty one paced but has a great engine.

Fair assessment Jinxy - his kicking lacked a little depth as well. Great effort all the same to come over and make his mark in such a short time.

Unless he was prepared to change clubs the best thing he could have done is gone home - he wasn't going to get much of a run at Collingwood next year as he was sliding down the pecking order.

I suspect Begley will be delisted at the end of the season by St Kilda. Hanley might get another year at Brisbane but unless he can solve his soft tissue injury issues he will be gone next year if he gets an extension.

Most of you will be pleased to know that AFL clubs appear to losing some interest in Irish recruits especially with Kennelly and now Clarke going home. O'Halpin might be the only Irish lad on a regular list next year (I think Quinn is still rookie listed). O'Halpin and Quinn asisde the rest of the GAA boys out here don't seem likely to make it.

INDIANA

I expect Hanley, Dyas and Begley to be home very soon. Will be big additions for their respective counties.

Heave Ho- I expect Quinn to make it out there. Having watched him he's the best Irish recruit since Kennelly IMO. O Hailpin has done very well but thats largely down to the fact that he's an awesome physical specimen and probably could have turned his hand at a number of professional sports.