Quote from: Johno07 on January 29, 2007, 04:17:17 PM

So thats:
Clarke
O malley, Kilcullen, Higgins
Gardiner, BJP, Heaney
Brady, McGarrity
T Mort, Dillon, Kilcoyne
C Mort, AOM, Moran.

Thats a good team Johno but with O'Neill now captain he'll be instead of Moran at corner forward. Does anyone know what the story with Pat Harte is? Is he training with the panel at the moment?
I'd like to see Pat Nevin given a go in the league at Full back as well. 

Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

SuperDooperCooper

After the long winter break it's great to see the real action starting again.
I know it's only the league but really looking forward to it.
Its been a long time since Kerry last competitive game (August v Cork - only joking..) and for one I'm not sure what to expect from Kerry this year.
Mike Mac and Shemo gone, Galvin and O'Sullivan in Australia, Murphy & the O'Se's pushing on it may be a transition year for us.
Still hope springs eternal (Losing minor finalist '04 & '06), Junior winners last year and minor semi finalist every year since '01 suggest the talent must be out there.
I have no clue what team Pat O'Se will put out.
Any of the other Kerry lads and ideas on the team.
Anyone think Mike Quirke, Declan Quill, Donnacha Walsh are good enough?
Hope Killian Young is given a change at No.3 - he looks quality.

rosnarun

mayo have plenty to fear from Declan Quill but has he ever played as well against anyone else. he was brilliant againt mayo two? years ago but that seemed to finish off his kerry career for a time do ye really think that low of us?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam

He did well in the league for 2 years there and looked to be the next nbig thing but fell away
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Kerry Mike

Pat O'Shea has stated he will continue with Kieran Donaghy at full forward. Lets hope he has the same impact this year as last, Will Mayo play David Brady from the start on him?
I can however see Donaghy switching alot in games from Midfield to full forward

Dara O'Se has committed to another year for the Green and Gold cause as well and will be the South Kerry nominee as captain if there is no South Kerry Representive, but I expect Bryan Sheehan, and possibly Killian Young and Brian Hickey to step up from the county champions. Sheehan in particular has been on the fringes for the last 3 seasons and needs to start nailing down a first team place, as our leading scorer last year he need to expand on his unexploited potential. His long range free taking may again be a factor this year. Hickey could be suitable to fill Paul Galvin's role.

I also expect Tommy Walsh and maybe David Moran and Paddy Curran to get a game or two from last years minors and to at least be brought into the panel.

Without knowing who is going well or not at the moment in training and without any McGrath Cup games this year it is difficult to see where we are at in regards to team selection but I will make a very broad assumption on the Kerry team for next weekend, I'm leaving out Gooch and Brosnan from Crokes but they may play some part.

So here goes :

Kieran Cremin
Marc O'Se
Killian Young
Padraig Reidy
Tomas O'Se
Aidan O'Mahoney
Brendan Guiney
Daragh O'Se
Kieran Donaghy
Sean O'Sullivan
Bryan Sheehan
Brian Hickey
Mike Frank Russell
Tommy Walsh
Declan Quill

Walsh has played very well for his club at full forward and may be an alternative target man if Donaghy is out around midfield.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

larry buaile

Is this game on the box?

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

larry buaile

Cheers M4S.  The dubs game is on setanta as well. Rugby on too....i see beers plus remote control in the near future.

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand:

McGarritty a worry for Mayo
New Mayo football supremo John O'Mahony may have to plan for his side's clash with Kerry this weekend without Ronan McGarrity.

McGarrity is just one of a number of Mayo players who are rated doubtful for the eagerly-awaited NFL clash in Castlebar.

In fact the Ballina clubman has been touted as the least likely to make the 2006 All-Ireland SFC final re-match.

Other players who are struggling to make the Kerry game include Pat Harte, Keith Higgins and Liam O'Malley.

Meanwhile Ciaran McDonald is set to continue to be sidelined for quite a while due to ongoing back trouble.

Anyone know when the team will be named?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StoneWall

Looks like a strong Kerry team...

KERRY (SF v Mayo) - D Murphy; Marc Ó Sé, T O'Sullivan, K Young; T Ó Sé, A O'Mahony, B Guiney; D Ó Sé, K Donaghy; S O'Sullivan, E Brosnan, P Kelly; C Cooper, M Quirke, B Sheehan.

SuperDooperCooper

Big step for Tom to move into the no.3 spot, might see Marc starting there.
Delighted Killian Young has got the start he has the potential to be there for years.
Guiney and Kelly seems to be league players who haven't the pace for summer football.
Don't really see why Paddy Kelly has stayed around the Kerry panel for so long - don't rate him at all.
Good to see Kerry trying new things but Donaghy will be at full forward when the serious stuff starts.
Hope Quirke plays well but I do worry about his mobility.
Thank god game on TG4 saves me a long trip.

AbbeySider

Quirke at full-forward for Kerry as Donaghy moves to midfield

PAT O'SHEA has sought to unveil a new wave of aerial bombardment on the Gaelic football world by reinvigorating the career of another Kingdom giant Micheal Quirke.

Before Kieran Donaghy - who figures at midfield against Mayo on Sunday - was even heard of at national level Quirke, who is 6'7" was being tried and tested by Páidí Ó Sé and Jack O'Connor as a target full-forward.

It never worked to the same extent as Donaghy but now O'Shea is keen to re-open Quirke's case file and give him another chance in the No. 14 shirt.

Quirke and Donaghy joined forces to enjoy national basketball success with Tralee at the weekend.

The new manager has called on nine of last year's All-Ireland winning starting team including Dr Crokes' Colm Cooper.

Mike Frank Russell and Tommy Griffin among the substitutes, Declan O'Sullivan and Paul Galvin are in Australia while Seamus Moynihan and Mike McCarthy have retired.

Eoin Brosnan is restored to centre-forward while Renard's Killian Young is included for his senior debut at corner-back. Paddy Kelly, who was in the US last year, comes back into the side at left half-forward. All three Ó Sé brothers have made themselves available for the first match of the season.

Bryan Sheehan will captain the team as one of only three South Kerry men in the squad but Darragh Ó Sé could still skipper the team if any fail to make the starting line up later in the season.

If there is no south county representative on the Kerry team, South Kerry have asked that Ó Sé should be given the captaincy.

KERRY (SF v Mayo) - D Murphy; Marc Ó Sé, T O'Sullivan, K Young; T Ó Sé, A O'Mahony, B Guiney; D Ó Sé, K Donaghy; S O'Sullivan, E Brosnan, P Kelly; C Cooper, M Quirke, B Sheehan.

Colm Keys

© Copyright Unison.ie 

AbbeySider

QuoteEoin Brosnan is restored to centre-forward

Our new CHB will have their work cut out for themselves.

QuoteQuirke, who is 6'7" was being tried ... as a target full-forward.

The man is bigger than Donaghy... its hard to know what JOM will do with him. Either play someone in front or bring back Brady...

It will be an interesting game

AbbeySider

Young to make NFL debut for Kerry

Killian Young has forced his way into the Kerry side for Sunday's mouth-watering NFL Division 1A encounter between the Kingdom and Mayo (Castlebar, throw-in 2.30pm).

The Renard clubman, who won a Munster minor medal with the county, was part of Jack O'Connor's All-Ireland-winning Kerry panel last season.

He made his senior debut as a substitute in last June's Munster championship win over Tipperary, but has yet to see league action.

For his first league match in charge, new Kerry boss Pat O'Shea has named Young at left corner back.

Five other players who did not start last September's All-Ireland final win over Mayo - Brendan Guiney, Paddy Kelly, Eoin Brosnan, Micheal Quirke and new team captain Bryan Sheehan - have been slotted into O'Shea's starting line-up.

Basketball ace Quirke, who starred, alongside Kieran Donaghy, for the Tralee Tigers in last Sunday's Superleague National Cup final, has returned to the Kerry panel this season.

The 26-year-old Kerins O'Rahilly's clubman, who was a squad member when Kerry won their 2004 All-Ireland title, will start at full-forward, a role that Donaghy took on with such aplomb last summer.

All-Star Donaghy reverts to midfield, partnering Dara O'Se, for this weekend, with new skipper Sheehan set to line out at left corner forward.

Kerry Mike

A strong enough line up with a few surprises.

At least I got the half back and midfield correct in my selection and had the full backs correct only for position.

Delighted Killian Young gets a run, he has been one of the stars of South Kerry's recent 3-in-a-row successes and deserves his place.
Tom O'Sullivan will fit in well at full back and has played there before, while moving Aidan O'Mahony to centre back instead of the Pony is not a bad move either. Brendan Guiney is another long term panalist who will be looking to secure a first team place.

Donaghy's aerial ability will be a great benifit to easing Darragh O'Se's workload and Donaghy had played well in midfield last year before being harsely sent off against Cork before returning to help turn our season around. Darragh has only returned to the panel so not sure about his fitness levels. Tommy Griffin who turned in a great second half to the season last year will be itching to get some game time as well, and with Eoin Brosnan and Sean o'Sullivan Kerry have some good options around the middle of the pairc.

Paul Galvin will be missed for the early season but the return of Paddy Kelly from the US is a positive, he will work hard and though not the most stylish of footballers he will give his all for the cause.

Its always good to see the Gooch in the team and how he feeds off Quirke will have a big bearing on Sunday. Michael Quirke is the surprise selection, I heard he was back training but did not think he would make the team, but he has played full forward before and caused Tyrone a few problems in Omagh. It will be interesting to see how Mayo manage an even bigger man on the edge of the square. His mobility is not as great as Donaghy though and probably does not have the football in him but we will see after a few games in the league.

All in all there is a good blend of experience with a few new names being blooded, will be an interesting game to see where we are at in terms of fitness and hunger.

Big year for the Kingdom as they chase that elusive 2-in-a-row.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football