Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

Started by The Real Laoislad, September 19, 2009, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Sold over a million copies on its first day on sale,talks already that it will be made into a movie
Picked it up myself last night and will get stuck into asap.
Loved all his other books so looking forward to this,has anyone else bought or read it?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maiden1

Aye bought it in Tesco yesterday.  Haven't started reading it.  I liked the other 2.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

mountainboii

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 19, 2009, 06:41:29 PM
Aye bought it in Tesco yesterday.  Haven't started reading it.  I liked the other 2.

Aren't there 4 others?

Will probably get it alright. Brown isn't the great author in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were fun, easy reads. The other two were pish though.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AFS on September 19, 2009, 07:28:27 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on September 19, 2009, 06:41:29 PM

Aren't there 4 others?

Will probably get it alright. Brown isn't the great author in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were fun, easy reads. The other two were pish though.
Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and The Da Vinci Code. Would agree that he'll never win any Nobel prizes for literature but he does write a good page-turner.

Archie Mitchell

Forgot  all about this. The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were very good reads (shame about the films), hopefully this will be the same. Is it based on the same theme as the other 2?

The Gs Man

Notice the strategically place branding......e.g. coca cola, blackberry etc. 

He must be getting a fortune from a few big companies I would imagine.  or am i just a cynical git?
Keep 'er lit

screenexile

Quote from: The Gs Man on September 19, 2009, 08:18:08 PM
Notice the strategically place branding......e.g. coca cola, blackberry etc. 

He must be getting a fortune from a few big companies I would imagine.  or am i just a cynical git?

Probably a bit of both I'd say ;)

pintsofguinness

Yeah, got it wednesday, about 50 pages in, real page turner.

Got Ted Kennedy's book today too and have been reading that most of today, don't know how I'll manage to juggle the two of them!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 19, 2009, 07:54:32 PM
Digital Fortress, Angels and Demons, Deception Point and The Da Vinci Code. Would agree that he'll never win any Nobel prizes for literature but he does write a good page-turner.

You've nailed it, I read the Da Vinci Code and found myself wanting to read just-one-more-chapter. I wouldn't want to read another one of his books though. My attention span is small enough without reading another McNugget book

Norf Tyrone

To be honest I used to like him, but after the farce re the lotto and guessing the numbers craic I am not as big a fan.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 20, 2009, 04:42:16 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 20, 2009, 01:25:51 AM
Wrong thread Norf :D

Humour by-pass Zig  ::)   :D

Yeah got it,
the guy was so anti Catholic in his two books aboout the Vatician it just wasn't funny.

p***k with an agenda and crap fiction.
Tbc....

mc_grens

Got half way through The Da Vinci code and left it down cos I thought it was Terrible. From what I'd heard it was pick of the bunch so I didnt bother with the rest.

Do you have to have read the rest to read this one- was thinking of giving him another chance?

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 20, 2009, 04:48:46 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 20, 2009, 04:42:16 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 20, 2009, 01:25:51 AM
Wrong thread Norf :D

Humour by-pass Zig  ::)   :D

Yeah got it,
the guy was so anti Catholic in his two books aboout the Vatician it just wasn't funny.

p***k with an agenda and crap fiction.

You could maybe start a bigot thread about Dan Brown then GDA.

Quote from: mc_grens on September 20, 2009, 09:32:09 AM
Got half way through The Da Vinci code and left it down cos I thought it was Terrible. From what I'd heard it was pick of the bunch so I didnt bother with the rest.

Do you have to have read the rest to read this one- was thinking of giving him another chance?

Angels and Demons is better than the Da Vinci code. Don't think you would need to read them all, but all sort of linked through the same theme I think. Digital Fortress and Deception Point are completly different books.