Tour Of Spain stage win for Donegal Cyclist

Started by the Deel Rover, September 18, 2009, 09:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

I just thought i'd open this thread as we had our 1st stage winner in one of the big tours since 1992

By Gerard Cromwell

Friday September 18 2009

Ireland's Philip Deignan took the biggest victory of his professional career and the biggest victory by an Irish cyclist in 17 years, when he won stage 18 of the Tour of Spain into Avila yesterday.

The 26-year-old from Letterkenny began the day in 18th place overall, 17 minutes and 49 seconds behind race leader Alejandro Valverde (Caisse Depargne) but moved up to ninth overall after infiltrating the day's main breakaway, which eventually took 10 minutes on the peloton.

"To win a stage is more than I ever expected. It's a really big thing for me," said a delighted Deignan, who becomes the first Irishman to win a Grand Tour stage since Stephen Roche's success in the 1992 Tour de France.

Deignan had 15 other riders for company as the breakaway group went clear on the slopes of the Puerto de Mijares, the second of four mountains on the 187kms stage. In strong winds and rain, the leaders worked well together to build up a lead of four-and-a-half minutes over the peloton with 35km remaining.

Deignan crested the summit first and was the only one to respond to an attack by Czech rider Roman Kreuziger of Liquigas with 14km to go. Deignan was forced to do all the work up the final cobbled climb to the finish. Kreuziger attacked with 500 metres to go, but Deignan dug deep to come around him for his first Grand Tour stage win.

"Kreuziger was really strong coming into the finish. I'm not normally good in the sprint and I didn't know if I had the legs to beat him. But then he attacked with about 500 metres to go, and I got on the wheel good, and then when I went, I still had some power left.

Former Tour of Spain winner Sean Kelly was thrilled for Deignan. "Philip has been knocking on the door for a number of years to get a major victory and he's got it today, and at 26 years of age, his best years are still ahead of him."

- Gerard Cromwell
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

anportmorforjfc

good to see, things looking promising for a few of the irish cyclists in years to come.

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!