Croke Park Surface + H2O ...

Started by CavanCola, August 30, 2009, 09:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

CROKE PARK BOSS ADMITS THAT THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE PITCH :

Croke Park stadium manager Peter McKenna has conceded that the pitch surface in Croke Park was less than ideal for yesterday's All-Ireland semi-final, but he insisted that it will be ready for Sunday's All-Ireland hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary.

The weather affected the play of Kerry and Meath throughout yesterday's clash, with both sides struggling to shine in the conditions.

'In the first half certainly there was slipping that you wouldn't be entirely happy with, particularly with the penalty,' remarked McKenna in the Irish Examiner.

'Some of that you come to expect with a squally, wet day. What you get with light rain like we had today, it sits on top of the grass. If the grass is lush like it is there, you will get a greasy interface. It's something for us to look at, no doubt about it.

'I talked to some of the players and any of the Kerry guys that were wearing six stud boots had no issues. Fellas wearing moulded boots or blade boots certainly did have issues. But we'd like to think that the surface wouldn't be boot-dependant, so we've got some work to look at during the week.'

McKenna ruled out scarifying the pitch before Sunday's final, but reckons that spiking the surface could be helpful.

'I was down on the surface there with our pitch people. One suggestion is that the grass cover is too lush, that we could do with thinning it out somewhat. That's not something we're going to do between now and the finals obviously.

'Ideally we'd look at scarifying it if we had more time, but I'm not inclined to do that, I think that could change the characteristics of the pitch. During the week, we did a lot of spiking on the surface. That breaks it up and gives it a little more traction for the studded foot. We'll do a little bit more of that this week.'

McKenna insisted that laying down a new pitch during the middle of the championship had been a success overall.

'No, the positives we've had from the pitch and the work we've done have been very, very strong. This is the first time we've had criticism.'    :D

CavanCola

Orangeman... Think you are right . It was walsh instead of O'Sullivan. definitely was a pitch induced injury. I must have been wiping the rain out of my eyes!

Logan

Quote from: timmykelleher on August 31, 2009, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: CavanCola on August 30, 2009, 09:07:58 PM
The surface conditions today in Croke park were very poor.

I think its unacceptable to have 30 lads out playing on a dangerous surface like that today in an All Ireland Semi Final. Surprised that there was just one major injury when Bray hurt his shoulder... although I saw Darren O'Sullivan slip and do the splits at one point. I'd say his adductors will be painful tomorrow!  :'(

Apart from being dangerous I thought that it ruined the Game as well.

I thought that was Donnacha Walsh and he was subbed almost immediately after.
I was presuming he had injured himself but it was not mentioned.
Well his foot was in a ball of ice when Cantwell was swooning over him

In the Onion Bag

The message to Corker officialdom is very simple - don't mess about with our playing surface during the peak of the season.  Simple as.

Any other use, however great, however profitable, can wait till after the season.

orangeman

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on August 31, 2009, 09:56:12 PM
The message to Corker officialdom is very simple - don't mess about with our playing surface during the peak of the season.  Simple as.

Any other use, however great, however profitable, can wait till after the season.

Money talks. U2 generated more money than a few auld matches. Concerts are the way to go. 

orangeman

What a difference a few weeks makes. The pitch yesterday was in fabulous shape.

There were a few slipping - boots must have been wrong choice.

comethekingdom

Was on the pitch myself after the game yesterday and thought it was in good enough shape. Hopefully thats it sorted now.