Ard Mhacha v Maigh Eo Craobh Cluiche Ceannais Peile Mionúir na hÉireann

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, August 30, 2009, 06:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

QuoteMayo lost 2000 minor final and did not feature in 2002. Think the 2 finals to add up to 18 are the replayed senior in 1996 and minor last year, giving us in boxing terms a 1-15-2 record. 

'95 U-21 final went to a replay against Kerry so are we talking 19 ?
McStays line was 1 win from 18 finals. Lets just call it 1 from 16.
You sure about the minors being 2000 instead of 2002 ? So we lost consecutive minor finals in 99 (Jmaes Gill, Gavin Duffy, etc) and 2000 ?

Tubberman

QuoteYou sure about the minors being 2000 instead of 2002 ? So we lost consecutive minor finals in 99 (Jmaes Gill, Gavin Duffy, etc) and 2000 ?

Yeah, was definitely back to back in 99 and 00, Alan Dillon played in both.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: stephenite on September 24, 2009, 12:30:43 AM
The only All Ireland Mayo deserved to win, that they didn't, was 1996.
I have to agree with you there. When all the hard luck stories have been examined, I don't think that we were beaten by bad reffing or divine intervention in any of the others. I imagine that if one was to analyse each final we lost, it would be fair to say we were second best in each case.
The minors this year put up a mighty show but, like the side last year, they were beaten by a better side from the North. Last year Tyrone stood out all the way and this year Armagh and Down were being tipped right from the start. All counties up north seem to have their schools of excellence or whatever they are called in place and the results are beginning to show.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Well, we should take some heed as to what the Northern counties are doing then. Is there a football school of excellence in Mayo? Tommy Lyons mentioned it on RTE one day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: blast05 on September 23, 2009, 10:51:21 PM
QuoteWe have lost 18 All Ireland finals at all grades since our last win on AIF day in 1985. it cant all be down to been second best on final day, can it?

Can someone list the 18 ......
I can think of 5 senior (89, 96, 97, 04, 06)
6 minor (91, 99, 02, 05, 08, 09)
U-21 (94, 95, 01, 04)  ... with obviously 1 win in 06

Still a good achievement to reach all those finals but it's an amazing stat alright. Galway have only reached 10 finals in the same time period although we've won 6 of them (still left a couple of them behind us).

3 senior (98, 00, 01)
3 minor (86, 94, 07)
4 U-21 (89, 92, 02, 05)

Foreverhopeful

michael walsh was impressive, even if his man scored 3 pts. Tasker is awesome player. charlton was v. good. I know there is alot who werent afraid to win but when we went 1 pt up we missed 1-3 in 5 mins. Thats why we lose so many all-irelands.
In fairness dempsey pushed this team to the absolute limits of their abilites. There wasnt too many star players but he got alot out of everyone. Its a shame corduff carrying a stone too much beef, showed he can mix in midfield but is too heavy. There something about mcdermott at no.6 that impresses me.
sclingermann is great prospect as well as rodgers. Cillian o connor is good but not great (Yet). He was carrying injury but i wouldnt put too much pressure on the lad. He still very young.

blast05

QuoteThere something about mcdermott at no.6 that impresses me.

Yes, was thinking that too ...... he was the one guy i would pick out above all others.
Schlingerman i feel is too small.

muppet

Quote from: blast05 on September 24, 2009, 04:51:44 PM
QuoteThere something about mcdermott at no.6 that impresses me.

Yes, was thinking that too ...... he was the one guy i would pick out above all others.
Schlingerman i feel is too small.

+1

Strange how go 10 years without a convincing full back but we have 3 minor teams in 4 years that had well above average full backs for that grade.
MWWSI 2017

bucko

Quote from: moysider on September 23, 2009, 11:03:54 PM

Same thing has/is happening at senior as well. As well as obvious technical flaws in many of our players at this level[ which largely have not been addressed] there has been no progress in addressing the gulf between ourselves and likes of Tyrone/Kerry in terms of tactics and there is a massive gulf in the way these teams are prepare physically for late summer compared to us as well. Our fortunes should not be compromised by issues such as these which are easily rectified if the right personnel are in place.

This was something myself and a few friends discussed after the minor final, how often have Mayo teams of all levels in recent times have been let down by poor execution of basic skills in pressurised match situations. We have a School of Excellence, but I don't think it's template has changed since it's inception, the same coaches running the same programme year after year. I think methods of coaching across the board in Mayo focus too much on individual skill and flair (nice football) and not enough on execution of basic skills ie accurate hand/fist/kick passing off both hands/feet at speed, team ethic and support play and player physical development. These are areas that should not be the remit of a county manager, these need to be coached at club and schools level. We see now a review of football getting started in Galway to develop a blueprint for the future, Mayo needs a similar project, the development of a football template and coaching system that can be applied to all teams at all levels that combines and develops the good and strongest aspects of Mayo football with a strong foundation of excellent basic skill execution, team support play and physical conditioning. I won't hold my breath waiting for it though!

Foreverhopeful

mcdermott seems like a natural no.6, mayo dont have one at the mo. I reckon t howley would make a great no. 10