Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Surprised this hasn't been posted already...

QuoteMcCausland slams H-Block event 

Sports Minister Nelson McCausland has criticised the staging of a hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground.

It took place at Galbally, County Tyrone, after a procession on Sunday.

Speaking as a DUP MLA, he said: "It cannot be right that a sports ground should be used for commemorating and celebrating something as offensive as the whole H-Block episode."

Sinn Fein MLA Barry McElduff said there were no alternative venues for the rural, largely republican community.

"We were remembering, not terrorists but inspirational, politically-motivated Irish hunger strikers," said Mr McElduff, who was speaking in a party capacity rather than as chairman of the assembly's culture, arts and leisure committee.

"Many young people are curious to know the story of these hunger strikers who laid down their lives for Irish freedom."

However, Mr McCausland said the event was a breach of the GAA's rule 7a, which states the organisation should be non-party political.

"People will be disappointed to see a sports ground used for such a political event which glorifies Irish republican terrorism," he said.

He added: "The event in Tyrone was a retrograde step and I think it has reinforced division and political sectarianism."

Breach of the GAA's rule 7a carries a penalty of up to 24 weeks' suspension.

A GAA spokesperson said they had no comment to make on the matter.

The parade was staged near the home of IRA hunger striker Martin Hurson, who died in the Maze Prison in July 1981.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8206863.stm

It's a shame yet again that some people have felt it appropriate to use a GAA ground for such activities. And all it does is give the DUP another stick to beat the Association with.

pintsofguinness

QuoteIt took place at Galbally, County Tyrone, after a procession on Sunday.
I dont understand, what took place? The procession/march is normally the commemoration at these types of events, what took place at the club?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

JMohan

Big Deal
::)

DUP never need much reason to moan anyway

Pangurban

A Club in Down is hosting one of these events, think it is organised by the South Down Graves Association. Thought it strange myself that they were allowing their premises to be used

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 07:44:33 PM

I dont understand, what took place? The procession/march is normally the commemoration at these types of events, what took place at the club?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=116598

I assume it was the speeches(?)

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on August 19, 2009, 07:49:19 PM
Big Deal
::)
Well it is. It's a breach of GAA rules for a start.

Quote from: JMohan on August 19, 2009, 07:49:19 PM
DUP never need much reason to moan anyway
Exactly, so why give them a valid reason.

Rois

I'm with you Maguire01, it should never have been used. 

Nor should the SDLP have let Alasdair McDonnell complain about it on Radio Ulster this morning.  I could have put up a better argument myself.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 19, 2009, 08:31:58 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 07:44:33 PM

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=116598

I assume it was the speeches(?)
Id be surprised maguire, normally the speeches on these marches would take place at the commemeration plaque, grave or something like that. 

Quote from: hardstation on August 19, 2009, 08:38:33 PM
Don't see the big problem. They congregated at the GAA Club/Community centre. Think of the Fr. Ted episode where they hold the fair at "The Field". It's the same as all the other fields but has less rocks.

Tally's couldn't hold the crowd.
Are you sure that's all it was, I remember a kick up about one of these before and it turned out they had just congregated at the club, out on the road, nothing to do with the GAA or the Club.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on August 19, 2009, 08:38:33 PM
Don't see the big problem. They congregated at the GAA Club/Community centre. Think of the Fr. Ted episode where they hold the fair at "The Field". It's the same as all the other fields but has less rocks.

What's the relevance of that comparison? Maybe they should have held the event in a local farmer's field? If so, i'd agree.

And the 'problem' is pretty clear, surely. The GAA club is for the purposes of GAA activities.

ardmhachaabu

Nelson went out of his way to get all offended over this since he refused to attend any GAA event during his time in office months ago

Fact is that the GAA will deal with the club as they see fit.  It's a bit rich of him to preach when he has no interest in the GAA
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

DennistheMenace

Total against this if it happened within the GAA premises.

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Bud Wiser

Eight years ago, in August 2001 when thousands marched to, and held a commeration in Casement Park for Bobby Sands and his comrades we had the same moaners out and the same discussion on the old GAA board.  If Mr McCausland has a problem then all he has to do is go off and play golf or practice drum beating for the day but like then we have the usual exagerration of what is happening. Some will say nothing has changed, I disagree because on a thread way back I described to Evilgenius that I had no problem working on the Battle of The Boyne site for the Office Of Public Works when our government spent millions, I think 35 million, making a commerative site for the orangemen to celebrate King Billy.  If this commeration the one in Galbally that is, was happening on my front lawn I would have no problem so I fail to see how it is such a big issue with GAA men much less Mr Causland, or McCausland or whoever he is.  In the end thousands did turn up at Casement and the GAA did the right thing, the left the issue with the Ulater Council, and they, IMO, rightly did nothing either.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

DuffleKing

I don't agree with political events occurring on GAA grounds and i think my own views are borne out in GAA rules?

Why the feck do Sinn Fein feel the need to try to create the impression that they run football clubs in certain areas i'll never know. Is it an ego thing or a serving the community strategy?

Canalman

Our clubhouse has had Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil meetings held in it in a small ante room.Afaik no complaints ever received.