The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, January 26, 2007, 10:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
63 (87.5%)
?
9 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

How many would we need to vote yes for this to take shape?


O'Neill talks up Old Firm switch   
O'Neill says Celtic and Rangers would be a hit in the Premier League
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill says the English Premier League would benefit from the inclusion of former club Celtic and rivals Rangers.

The proposal to create a two-tier Premier League could be discussed at the league's AGM in June.

And O'Neill, who left Celtic in 2005 after five years in charge, said the Old Firm would be a hit in England.

"My personal thought is that Celtic and Rangers would enhance the Premier League," he told Villa's website.

Last week BBC Scotland learned Bolton chairman Phil Gartside has proposed allowing the Old Firm clubs to move to England as part of a two-tier Premier League of 18 teams each.

The idea would have to overcome a number of obstacles if it was to come to fruition, and Uefa has consistently said that teams will not be allowed to play in leagues outside their own country.

O'Neill believes the Glasgow clubs would grow if they were given the green light to play in England.

 
I'm not sure about Rangers but I know Celtic's capacity could go from 60,000 to 80,000 overnight - without a doubt

"Glasgow is a phenomenal football city - Celtic house 60,000 and Rangers house 50,000," he told Villa's website.

"I'm not sure about Rangers but I know Celtic's capacity could go from 60,000 to 80,000 overnight - without a doubt.

"When I was manager of Celtic a number of years ago, there was some talk of both teams joining the Premier League in some capacity.

"There was mention of them being put in the Championship too, or maybe even lower down than that, and then making them work their way up through promotion."

He added: "If forced to do that, they would eventually get to the top and end up as monumental players in the Premier League."

O'Neill said he was aware sceptics would be against the move, but he believed the clubs would enhance the competition in England.

"I suppose Belgian teams could then ask to join the Dutch league and Dutch teams could then request to join the Bundesliga," he went on.

"All of those points would have to be considered. But if you're asking for a personal opinion, I think Celtic and Rangers joining would enhance the Barclays Premier League and make us all strive to get better.

"I certainly support the idea. But, then again, I could be a voice in the wilderness."


Tbc....

lynchbhoy

am pretty sure that swansea and wrexham have played in the top tier in england at some stage, cardiff are trying to get into it right now....
..........

T Fearon

Swansea were definitely in the old First Division (Premiership equivalent) in the early 1980s and did very well under John Toshack's management (top 6 finish I believe on one occasion). Cardiff played Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final so I assume they have been in the First Division. Not sure about Wrexham though.

Don't see what the fuss is about Allowing the Old Firm into the English Premiership. After all American franchises like Liverpool and Man Utd already play there as does Chelsea, a Russian franchise

Minder

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2009, 10:25:08 AM
Swansea were definitely in the old First Division (Premiership equivalent) in the early 1980s and did very well under John Toshack's management (top 6 finish I believe on one occasion). Cardiff played Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final so I assume they have been in the First Division. Not sure about Wrexham though.

Don't see what the fuss is about Allowing the Old Firm into the English Premiership. After all American franchises like Liverpool and Man Utd already play there as does Chelsea, a Russian franchise

And an Israeli one.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Good win on Saturday (even though we played terrible), Huns winning on Sunday puts things back to one point, derby on Saturday morning in Mordor will be tight, not really looking forward to it atm, maybe will get better vibes later on.

Hail Hail
Tbc....

T Fearon

Would look forward to it a lot more if Broonie wasn't suspended. Its going to be a helluva battle, lumps kicked out of the likes of Naka, Mc Geady etc, balls lumped into the box from everywhere (which we are not good at dealing with). Hartley the only midfielder we have capable of standing up to this type of game. A lot depends on Boruc's form.

Would gladly settle for a point on Saturday. If the huns were to win, the momentum would be with them big time I can't see them losing any points elsewhere in the final three games, and we have a difficult home game against the Arabs next Tuesday as well.

off the laces

in today's scottish sun they have boruc on front page then on pages 4-5 straigthening a girls hair he says its his sister, some wee tr**p saying it was her best pal after a night together.......will do wonders for the huns on sat that will
Keeps 'er' straight

screenmachine

Quote from: off the laces on May 05, 2009, 02:40:03 PM
in today's scottish sun they have boruc on front page then on pages 4-5 straigthening a girls hair he says its his sister, some wee tr**p saying it was her best pal after a night together.......will do wonders for the huns on sat that will

en anglais s'il vous plaƮt?
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: off the laces on May 05, 2009, 02:40:03 PM
in today's scottish sun they have boruc on front page then on pages 4-5 straigthening a girls hair he says its his sister, some wee tr**p saying it was her best pal after a night together.......will do wonders for the huns on sat that will


Week of an OF match and funnily enough Arturs headline stuff, Scottish medias so predictable!


Tone we just have to go for the win, a four point cushion going into the last 3 games and the league would be ours, a draw and 2 point gap and one slip up from us leagues over, a defeat (unthinkable) and 2 point deficit, well don't think we'll be doing 4 in a row.
Tbc....

illdecide

I'm more confident about this match as Rangers have to come at Celtic as nothing only a win will do for them whereas a draw or win for us leaves the title in our hands and not the rest of the huns in the SPL. When they attack we can hit on the break (like them hoors used to do to us for years)...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

Disagree that the Huns will come out with all guns blazing.I think this will be a cagey affair as defeat for either side is unthinkable, and as I said before I'd gladly take the draw as I would be confident enough about getting full points from our last three fixtures, if we go into them one point ahead. My big fear is that it will be a repeat of the last old firm fixture at Ibrox last year when we dominated but ended up losing 1 nil. Defeat on Saturday will be catastrophic for either side. I only wish we had Brown, he has totally dominated midfield in  the last few Old Firm games.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: illdecide on May 05, 2009, 03:07:32 PM
I'm more confident about this match as Rangers have to come at Celtic as nothing only a win will do for them whereas a draw or win for us leaves the title in our hands and not the rest of the huns in the SPL. When they attack we can hit on the break (like them hoors used to do to us for years)...


illdecide, have you seen how ropey our defense has been recently?
I do think we have enough players to cover for Brown not playing in the midfield, but our strikers are still hot and cold also imo.
Tbc....

the colonel

hopefully loovens or o'dea are in for mcmanus, would be better than a fit big mick never mind a half fit one
the difference between success and failure is energy

T Fearon

Yes, and hopefully Walter will instruct Boydinho to pick up O'Dea at set pieces in his own box ;D

illdecide

Well you have a point about it being cagey but the way Celtic won it last year Rangers will remember that (how could they forget) and i think they will be forced to attack as they know Celtic can win their last 3 games...I have watched their last few games and they can be really frustrating at times but when they get the momentum they'll be hard to stop
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch