Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rois on August 17, 2009, 03:19:00 PM
Fri night function round at her parents' house, wedding on Sat and bbq in a different part of Donegal on the Sunday.

I suppose you could say that parts are optional, but it's one of my bestest. 

If she thought I was considering giving her €300 she would have a fit.  Have already been to Puerto Banus on the hen party.

But this would be your county in the All Ireland Final!  I think you should start a poll and let the board decide waht to do.

and you're giving her 300 euro!!!!!!!! f**king hell
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rois

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 17, 2009, 03:22:51 PM
But this would be your county in the All Ireland Final!  I think you should start a poll and let the board decide waht to do.

and you're giving her 300 euro!!!!!!!! f**king hell

Ahhhh if only she felt like you Pints.  Will not count my chickens though.  Poll can wait till Sun night.

And no way am I giving her €300, just saying that if she thought I was (like RMDrive does), she'd tell me to wise up.  She knows how big my mortgage is and has realised that the hotel for the night of the wedding is €195. 

DrinkingHarp

Single   50-100

Couple  150-200

If your down with the economy the Happy Couple will (or should) understand your situation. So give what you could afford.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

tyrone girl

Jaysus i wont be giving 200 quid thats for sure, we will give them 120 i think

SidelineKick

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 17, 2009, 04:25:44 PM
Jaysus i wont be giving 200 quid thats for sure, we will give them 120 i think

TG seriously, £100 is more than enough.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

RMDrive

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 17, 2009, 02:29:35 PM
RMDrive, the more fool you.

Is it so you can say you gave that amount or do you really think its necessary to give such ridiculous amounts?

Unfair of you to try to judge me like that. It's nothing to do with being able to "say" you gave that amount. I'm not into ostentatious gestures and if my post implied that then it was just clumsiness on my part.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 17, 2009, 02:40:11 PM
Hang on a minute, why should I pay for someone else's choice of food for me? Pay for someone elses choice of hotel?
You're right, most couples these days invite people they don't care if they're there or not, why? For show.  Why should I pay for that? Weddings can be expensive affairs, but only if the couple want them to be, they can also be cheap affairs and it's generally the cheaper ones that are more enjoyable. 

IMO it's your choice not theirs. If you don't want to pay the prices (and it can sometimes be crazy) then don't go. I agree completely that some couples have lost the run of themselves and their wedding is more like a day long parade of their "taste" or "wealth". But for every wedding like that, there are 10 where the couple are simple good natured folks who are just trying to celebrate their big day with family and friends and are not trying to put on a show. To have a traditional Irish wedding these days is not cheap, no matter how straightforward you try to make it.

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 17, 2009, 02:43:36 PM
I hate that, you give a minimum of 200 pound then everyone is expected to do the same.  People should pay for the cost of there meal and add a bit more (if they can afford to).  I have been to 2 weddings in the last couple of months with stag parties, 2 nights in a hotel for the wedding...  I was just thinking the other day, thank f&*k I have no more to go to this year as they have me broke.

But that's exactly my point. I reckon that a wedding today would probably cost about EUR80 a head when you factor in the meal, the band, the DJ, sandwiches etc. So 160 of that is simply to cover the cost. Then we throw them 40 quid on top of that which is our gift to the couple (along with our presence of course).

maggie

Had one of my best friends wedding in July- gave her £80 as i went on my tod (weddings are the best place to pull and i have a pretty good track record!!)
Also helped her with the cost and making of the invitations so i feel i did my bit.
She was telling rme though, an English woman gave them tweny quid as a present.  ::)

The Real Laoislad

We have to go to a wedding next month,and they have a wedding list they sent with the invitations for Arnotts with the cheapest thing on the list being €200.
I think having a wedding list is an awful ignorant thing to have and I can't stand people who have one,and I am gonna give them €100 in a card,they can f**k their wedding list,if they didn't have a wedding list I would have given them €150
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

RM
IMO it's your choice not theirs. If you don't want to pay the prices (and it can sometimes be crazy) then don't go. I agree completely that some couples have lost the run of themselves and their wedding is more like a day long parade of their "taste" or "wealth". But for every wedding like that, there are 10 where the couple are simple good natured folks who are just trying to celebrate their big day with family and friends and are not trying to put on a show. To have a traditional Irish wedding these days is not cheap, no matter how straightforward you try to make it.
It's all very well saying if you dont want to pay it dont go and a lot of weddings people are invited to they've no option but to go, unless they want to offend the couple.

If a good friend or family member is getting married you cant not go to their wedding so you're expected to pay your way when they've chosen the hotel, the food, the location (if you've to pay for a night in a hotel/B&B) then you may also have had to pay to go on the stag/hen weekend, the women will spend a fortune on the stuff they spend money on also.  
It's their choices, not yours.  Maybe amongst their guests they've students, unemployed friends, elderly couples with nothing only their pensions or people who just simply cannot afford their choice of hotel.  How is it even remotely reasonable they expect these people to pay their way? and do you think they shouldnt go if they can't?

If it was me getting married I'd invite the people I wanted to share the day with and would be horrified if they felt they had to pay their way, particularly if I knew they couldnt.  

Btw RM, what exactly is a "traditional Irish wedding"?
and are you one of these people who think that if people don't go to a wedding they should send a present anyway?

QuoteShe was telling rme though, an English woman gave them tweny quid as a present.
Maybe it's all she could afford?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyrone girl

Whole things madness when u think of it.

Hotel rooms costing 170 euro for the night, present of say 120,though these split between us both.
Had get new dress it cost me 120, new sandals, bag , accesories etc etc , gettin me hair , make up tan nails etc will set me back another 60 odd quid and then watever amount i drink and its in the south which will  be expensive as hell

Archie Mitchell

Bring a carry out with you and go back up to the room each time to top up.

RMDrive

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 17, 2009, 05:07:24 PM
RM
It's all very well saying if you dont want to pay it dont go and a lot of weddings people are invited to they've no option but to go, unless they want to offend the couple.

If a good friend or family member is getting married you cant not go to their wedding so you're expected to pay your way when they've chosen the hotel, the food, the location (if you've to pay for a night in a hotel/B&B) then you may also have had to pay to go on the stag/hen weekend, the women will spend a fortune on the stuff they spend money on also.  
It's their choices, not yours.  Maybe amongst their guests they've students, unemployed friends, elderly couples with nothing only their pensions or people who just simply cannot afford their choice of hotel.  How is it even remotely reasonable they expect these people to pay their way? and do you think they shouldnt go if they can't?

If it was me getting married I'd invite the people I wanted to share the day with and would be horrified if they felt they had to pay their way, particularly if I knew they couldnt.  

Btw RM, what exactly is a "traditional Irish wedding"?
and are you one of these people who think that if people don't go to a wedding they should send a present anyway?

It's a fair enough point I suppose. However I've been through it all and I always have a bit of sympathy with the couple getting married. On one hand you want to have a great day and to make it something that you will remember fondly for the rest of your lilfe (or until the next one), and on the other hand you don't want to force people to have to splash a whole load of cash.

I agree that there are some wedding that you just have to go to but I'd suggest that those are the very ones that you wouldn't mind splashing a bit of cash on. Would a couple be offended if someone (not close family or friends) didn't go to their wedding? I doubt it.

By traditional Irish wedding I meant the whole church, flowers, photos, hotel, band, sausages and sandwichs, DJ thing. Maybe it's not an accurate description of mst Irish weddings but it reflects the ones I have experienced at home and here in Mayo. It's traditional in that sense.

And no, I'm not someone who believes that you should send a present even if you don't go. That's called being daft.

tyronefan

feck it TG, sent them a card saying you cant make it and take yourself off to the Bahamas for a couple of weeks,  would probably work out cheaper    8)

tyrone girl

Yeh im raging i was in Craigavon yesterday and saw a hol in vegas in November £539 , was thinkin for feck sake i could be away off doin that (only an example) instead of £500 odd quid on this

Im beginning to sound like a grump  :o

Im bringing loadddd of vodka with me and will keep goin to the room for top ups, to hell with paying a fortune in bar down there

Armin Tamzarian

Quote from: maggie on August 17, 2009, 05:01:06 PM
Had one of my best friends wedding in July- gave her £80 as i went on my tod (weddings are the best place to pull and i have a pretty good track record!!)
Also helped her with the cost and making of the invitations so i feel i did my bit.
She was telling rme though, an English woman gave them tweny quid as a present.  ::)

Ok since nobody else is going to mention this! So, Maggie you just go to weddings on your 'tod' and pick up random men?
Whens your next wedding??!!