AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer

Have to say I thought the game had a wee bit of everything, very enjoyable.

The ref was bad, but thought he was just as bad for Cork than he was for Tyrone. Sending off was for nothing. Gave some handy frees to Tyrone. Some handy to Cork (although I thought the off the ground calls were correct. Foot in the general vacinity does not mean under).

Some of the cork scores were excellent, while some of the attempts from Tyrone near the end were puzzling, it seemed like they had met for the first time and weren't working within the 'system'

In saying that, they will come back all guns blazing next year

ONeill

Congrats to Corcaigh.

Cannot complain about the result at all. Cork had the hunger, drive, tenacity and skill that mirrored Tyrone from 03-08.

Great performances from Canty and Kelly. Kelly was very comfortable on the ball and able to take out 2-3 Tyrone players with a killer McGuigan-esque ball.

Dooher, McGinley and Cavanagh were three key players that for different reasons were crucial to Cork's deserved victory. Dooher simply hadn't it in him to compete with Cork's manic application. The injuries he has battled were laid bare today in an atmopshere that the Dooher we know usually revelled in. McGinley wasn't the Enda of '08 and suffocated out there. Cavanagh's loss was immense for both sides.

My fears were realised regarding the spine of this team. Jordan, Gormley, Mulligan, Hub, Harte, O'Neill, Ricey, McGinley and McGuigan have gone to the well so many times that only superhumans could maintain further. The heart was willing, but the legs were that spark short. Two incidences typified it - when both Gormley and Jordan were dispossessed but the single Cork man - both resulting in scores. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and they come back stronger again but I feel their gloriously best days are behind them. Jordan, 'that man of steel', really tried to rekindle the old drive - breaking tackles and surging into space. It wasn't happening.

Cork better bloody win it now.

Also - Mickey had a bad day at the office. The Justin-Ricey swopping was just confusing and McMahon was badly exposed at CB. He also saw that the HF line were not competing with Cork's HBs. Tommy was not at the races whilst Joe and Brian laboured. The damage was done at 1-7 to 0-3. I thought Mickey would've attempted at least one change there.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Just watched Spillane's aftermatch rant. I feel sorry for him actually. An embarasment.

johnpower

Quote from: orangeman on August 23, 2009, 11:19:40 PM
Just watched Spillane's aftermatch rant. I feel sorry for him actually. An embarasment.

It was a bit silly really .
What is the Tyrone view on the ref . ? I think Mickey Harte was right to highlight the inconsistencies .

ONeill

Quote from: johnpower on August 23, 2009, 11:28:01 PM

What is the Tyrone view on the ref . ? I think Mickey Harte was right to highlight the inconsistencies .

He was poor in terms of players knowing what on earth he allowed as it changed every 2-3 mins. Gave us some easy frees but refused to penalise some blatant fouling. Didn't affect the game but a bad, bad day for him. I heard someone on the wireless talking about paying them to improve them. If Bannon had been paid for that today I'd have wrecked Longford.

johnpower

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2009, 11:32:13 PM
Quote from: johnpower on August 23, 2009, 11:28:01 PM

He was poor in terms of players knowing what on earth he allowed as it changed every 2-3 mins. Gave us some easy frees but refused to penalise some blatant fouling. Didn't affect the game but a bad, bad day for him. I heard someone on the wireless talking about paying them to improve them. If Bannon had been paid for that today I'd have wrecked Longford.
`

He has been the same for the past 9 years or so . The talks of paying refs is a joke .

ONeill

Poor Kerry though. Armagh minors had Tyrone, Cork and Armagh cheering for them. Pity the Armagh wans didn't return the favour, especially the heifer in section 708 Upper Tier Cusack who suddenly started waving her Armagh flag with 5 mins to go in the senior game.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on August 23, 2009, 10:34:27 PM
We was robbed - not talking about Bannon but some wee shite took a fancy to my sons Moy bag in the back of the motor so proceeded to smash the back window. Cnut.

>:(  Sorry to hear that Mac Eoghain. Cnut is right!!   >:(

Thanks also for your help with that other matter - much appreciated!   ;)

stibhan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 23, 2009, 10:55:13 PM
QuotePerhaps Spillane's outburst was one of frustration that Kerry will never get a chance to lay the ghost to rest that Tyrone ARE the team of the decade.

Don't mind the poor Kerry crayters-it's the nearest they'll get to gloating after beating Tyrone in the championship!

Up the Rebels!

You had your chance to do back-to-back AI to show us all how supposedly "great" you are and you crumbled as you always do.

Tyrone will never handle the level of expectation and pressure that teams like Kerry, Dublin and Kilkenny have to deal with on a routine basis. You are not worthy champions. That has been proven time and time again.

What in the name of f**k does 'worthy champions' mean? Tyrone were beaten by a good team and a bad ref today in my opinion--it's a shame the latter will take away from the former. 3 Cork men should have walked today apart from the sending off.

ONeill

What's gonna happen to Philomena's song?

maggie

Gutted with the result today but to use a cliche- the better team won on the day.
But sure we know Tyrone like to skip a year in between winning AI's.

Hope it is a Cork V Meath final.

Ogie84

Not long home in Cork after a most enjoyable day. Thought we were in for a classic game until Bannon intervened. Needless sending off, ruined the spectable as Cork understandably had to defend what we had.
Cavanaghs absence was a huge loss for Tyrone and undoubtedly a massive boost for us. Our backs were tenacious and the hunger this team has had all year was there to see. Colm O'Neill is a star in the making, Paddy Kelly covered the whole pitch countless times, his best game in a red shirt.

Fair play to Tyrone, they are still a great team and perhaps today was just a one trip too many to the well for some of them, but I've no doubt they'll be back and if/when we meet again, I hope that the atmosphere, drama and excitement is close to half what it was today, the second half was the probably longest 35 minutes of my life.
Rebels abĂș!

stew

QuotePerhaps Spillane's outburst was one of frustration that Kerry will never get a chance to lay the ghost to rest that Tyrone ARE the team of the decade.

Don't mind the poor Kerry crayters-it's the nearest they'll get to gloating after beating Tyrone in the championship!

Up the Rebels!

You had your chance to do back-to-back AI to show us all how supposedly "great" you are and you crumbled as you always do.

Tyrone will never handle the level of expectation and pressure that teams like Kerry, Dublin and Kilkenny have to deal with on a routine basis. You are not worthy champions. That has been proven time and time again.

You havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it. :D

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope Meath bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

INDIANA

Sad really- a tormented soul. Strange -one would have thought with 8 All-Ireland medals he'd be quite contented.

Jinxy

Quote from: stew on August 24, 2009, 12:35:37 AM

Up the Rebels!

You havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it. :D

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope mayo bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.

Ah now!
If you were any use you'd be playing.