Allstars

Started by corn02, July 30, 2009, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: paddypastit on August 05, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
There are five teams left in the championship. Of the 278 that are gone, IMO there is only one playert that could realistically be hopeful of an All Star - Earley who was excellent again on Sunday even as Kildare went down. Of those that are left again IMO only Trevor Mortimer of Mayo or Meath has put down a deposit to date for even a nomination. Bernard Brogan should realistically get a nomination as well and Cluxton also, but both will almost certainly be 'passed' out in the next seven weeks.

So are you saying that Dublin will not recieve the annual token all star ?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2009, 11:25:42 PM
Glynn or Hannon may get a nomination for wicklow. Couldn't see either getting an allstar though...

The teams remaining, well assuming Mayo get there, won't have that many contenders for young player. Though I suppose your man O'Shea would have a big shout depending on how he plays. I didn't see much of Connacht though so not sure. Be surprised if he's as good as Murphy though.

Do Cork have any real young players? I suppose the FF the last day would be one. Tyrone don't have any breakthroughs into the team this year bar Quinn who given Cunningham scored 11 points of him in ulster final wouldbe unlikely to get one. Not sure how young he is either?

I recall someone, can't remember who, getting young player of the year the other year who was over u21. Might have been in hurling mind...

Would Kerrigan be a possibility?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

JUMBODEMPSEY

Justin McMahon has to be high up the list again this year for another all star. Anyone up against him gets very little change. Probabaly man of the match against Armagh from centre half back, marked Paddy Bradley scoreless in the semi and can't think of a player that is safer on the ball. He never loses it and comfortable on either foot. Even that score against Kildare was his "bad" foot.

Paul Galvin's having a great year for Kerry and Declan O'Sullivan's beem consistant again and the Gooch is coming to life at the business end of the year.

Will depend alot on who wins the All Ireland like every year. 2 big performances from any player and they could snap up a place...

western exile

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 05, 2009, 11:39:18 PM
Quote from: noeldebrun on August 05, 2009, 11:35:02 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2009, 11:30:31 PM
O'Neill got young player of the year in 2003. He'd have been 22 or 23 then wouldn't he?

was it not in 2001?

No, O'Neill got an All Star at 11 in 2001 - Cormac McAnallen got YPOTY. Indeed, the first 3 YPOTY were all alumni of St Pat's Armagh - Cormac, Ronan Clarke and Sean Cavanagh
Did Ronan Clarke ever win one?  I remember in 2002 that he was the same age as Colm Cooper, but they give the Young Player award to The Gooch.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: western exile on August 06, 2009, 01:30:42 AM
O'Neill got young player of the year in 2003. He'd have been 22 or 23 then wouldn't he?

was it not in 2001?

No, O'Neill got an All Star at 11 in 2001 - Cormac McAnallen got YPOTY. Indeed, the first 3 YPOTY were all alumni of St Pat's Armagh - Cormac, Ronan Clarke and Sean Cavanagh
Did Ronan Clarke ever win one?  I remember in 2002 that he was the same age as Colm Cooper, but they give the Young Player award to The Gooch.

Clarke has 2 I think - 2004 and 2006? Think in 2002 between him and Gooch, one got an All Star, the other got young player of the year. Can't remember which was which.

tyrone86

was it not in 2001?

The Gooch never won a Young player of the year - he did get an All Star in 02 whereas Clarke didn't.

stephenite

No, O'Neill got an All Star at 11 in 2001

That's an awful young age to be winning All Stars

TacadoirArdMhacha

was it not in 2001?

Ronan actually got his 2 in 2006 and 2008. Had forgotten he got one last year.

tyrone86

Quote from: stephenite on August 06, 2009, 01:47:34 AM
No, O'Neill got an All Star at 11 in 2001

That's an awful young age to be winning All Stars

Boom boom  :D

Steroid and angeldust milkshakes from Old McDonalds have a lot to answer for.

INDIANA

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 06, 2009, 12:59:01 AM
Glynn or Hannon may get a nomination for wicklow. Couldn't see either getting an allstar though...

The teams remaining, well assuming Mayo get there, won't have that many contenders for young player. Though I suppose your man O'Shea would have a big shout depending on how he plays. I didn't see much of Connacht though so not sure. Be surprised if he's as good as Murphy though.

Do Cork have any real young players? I suppose the FF the last day would be one. Tyrone don't have any breakthroughs into the team this year bar Quinn who given Cunningham scored 11 points of him in ulster final wouldbe unlikely to get one. Not sure how young he is either?

I recall someone, can't remember who, getting young player of the year the other year who was over u21. Might have been in hurling mind...

would have said goulding, canty and miskella will be corks main contenders with donnacha o connnor a possibility.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2009, 10:41:41 AM

would have said goulding, canty and miskella will be corks main contenders with donnacha o connnor a possibility.

Surely the boat has sailed on Canty's chances of young player of the year?!

western exile

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 06, 2009, 12:02:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2009, 10:41:41 AM

Surely the boat has sailed on Canty's chances of young player of the year?!
Likewise Miskella!  ;D

INDIANA

sorry meant real allstars.
would say goulding is still young enough for young player.

nrico2006

Would Justin McMahon be in the running for young player of the year?  What is the criteria and who would be the realistic contenders?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Muzz

Is it not just anyone that is Under 23?