Kilkenny v Waterford AI semi final 9th August - can Waterford exact revenge ?

Started by orangeman, July 26, 2009, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: slow corner back on August 04, 2009, 04:03:51 PM
Hickeys return is very bad news for waterford and everyone else. I thought that during the championship the Cats had looked unusually vunerable at the back, Delany does not look like a nutural full back and the halfback line was weakened by his absence. If Hickey can free JJ back to the half back line and Cha and Derek Lyng are both fully fit then perhaps the Cats are ready to approach the heights we saw last year which spells trouble for everyone else. Also I suspect the Cats will remember the rough stuff from last years final and the league match and want to put manners on Waterford once more.

Who'll make way for JJ in the half back line?

It'll not be wee Tommy Welsh and John Dalton hasn't put a foot wrong either so Tennyson is the most likely candidate but will JJ go to the centre?

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 04, 2009, 04:42:06 PM
Quote from: slow corner back on August 04, 2009, 04:03:51 PM
Hickeys return is very bad news for waterford and everyone else. I thought that during the championship the Cats had looked unusually vunerable at the back, Delany does not look like a nutural full back and the halfback line was weakened by his absence. If Hickey can free JJ back to the half back line and Cha and Derek Lyng are both fully fit then perhaps the Cats are ready to approach the heights we saw last year which spells trouble for everyone else. Also I suspect the Cats will remember the rough stuff from last years final and the league match and want to put manners on Waterford once more.

Who'll make way for JJ in the half back line?

It'll not be wee Tommy Welsh and John Dalton hasn't put a foot wrong either so Tennyson is the most likely candidate but will JJ go to the centre?

Can't see JJ going to the centre - expect more Cody shock tactics. When will they name the teams ?

Eastern_Pride

Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Waterford Lurker

Just watched the 2004 Munster Final to get the buzz going. Some serious points (and misses) from Flynners. If we get a couple of goals on Sunday you never know, no one expects anything so maybe that might help...

COME ON THE DEISE!!!
Up the Déise

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 05, 2009, 08:49:00 AM
Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 04, 2009, 06:09:39 PM
Short Answer= no.

so what will be their half back combination then?

He means that in answer to the title of the thread, Waterford have no chance of beating KK.

WALSH, TENNYSON, JJ

EddieMerx

Was talking to my auld lad who knows somebody inside the Kilkenny camp, apparently they are not training with the same intensity and the players seem tired! He fears an ambush on Sunday. I will take it with a pinch of salt to be honest this same guy thinks that if there is no blood on your jersey then you are not playing with intensity ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: EddieMerx on August 06, 2009, 08:48:16 AM
I will take it with a pinch of salt to be honest this same guy thinks that if there is no blood on your jersey then you are not playing with intensity ;D

As long as its not your own  ;D

Kilkenny do seem to be playing within themselves but are always able to step it up a gear when most needed. They haven't been able to blow teams out of the water llike they did last year.
If they'd drawn Tipp in the semi-final then they might have been caught on the hop as I don't think Waterford have the right peronnel out the field to give Mullane and Eoin Kelly enough ammunition to trouble the Kilkenny fullback line, especially Kavanagh who might lack a bit of pace but seldom gets exposed due to the dirty ball coming in. Tipp have more pace over the park and might have exposed this but if Kilkenny get to the final then they'll not lose it no matter who's on the other side.

Just too many weaknesses in the Waterford team to cause an upset but they'll give a much better account of themselves and maybe run KK to 4 or 5 points.

bottlethrower7

I don't think Hickey will start. I saw him at training there at the weekend and hes not back to full pelt just yet. He lined out on the second-string in the match (which can be indicative of team selection, though so was Tommy Walsh, so who knows). My feeling is that Brian Hogan will start at 3. JJ was back out on the wing and Canice Hickey started on the first string at 3 (Hogan didn't participate in the game).

Midfield will give Cody a headache too. By all accounts it was looking like Cha/Fennelly, but Derek Lyng is flying at the moment so a Lyng/Cha pairing is likely.

But how do you leave out Micheal Rice? He'll probably be facilitated on the wing. I'd expect the forwards to be;

Larkin, Henry, Rice, Eddie, Gorta, Fogarty

we'll soon know.

orangeman

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 06, 2009, 11:01:56 AM
I don't think Hickey will start. I saw him at training there at the weekend and hes not back to full pelt just yet. He lined out on the second-string in the match (which can be indicative of team selection, though so was Tommy Walsh, so who knows). My feeling is that Brian Hogan will start at 3. JJ was back out on the wing and Canice Hickey started on the first string at 3 (Hogan didn't participate in the game).

Midfield will give Cody a headache too. By all accounts it was looking like Cha/Fennelly, but Derek Lyng is flying at the moment so a Lyng/Cha pairing is likely.

But how do you leave out Micheal Rice? He'll probably be facilitated on the wing. I'd expect the forwards to be;

Larkin, Henry, Rice, Eddie, Gorta, Fogarty

we'll soon know.

Hogan's ready to go again - probably the man for Dan when he comes on. Would he handle Eoin Kelly if Davy tuns with Eoin at 14 ?

INDIANA

Was talking to my auld lad who knows somebody inside the Kilkenny camp, apparently they are not training with the same intensity and the players seem tired! He fears an ambush on Sunday. I will take it with a pinch of salt to be honest this same guy thinks that if there is no blood on your jersey then you are not playing with intensity ;D

Just to add to this. Tennyson got 8 stitches in a training match last week.  Didn't even get a free apparently for the incident. Tennyson expected to have to go to hospital to get stitched. Cody told him to go into the dressing room , get stitched and resume his position on the field.
Tennyson duly did- as he'd well aware if he doesn't somebody else will.
Thats the difference. Kilkenny get nothing on the field of play they don't get in training.

Zulu

Last Monday's Kerry/Dublin game showed that logic and sport don't always mix, but I can't see Waterford upsetting Kilkenny in this one. The reality is that Waterford have been quite poor this year and there are still problems at full back, midfield is hit and miss and outside of Mullane none of the other forwards are making a big impression on the scoreboard. Kilkenny won't have to be firing on all cylinders to beat Waterford and I expect them to do so by 6-8 points.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2009, 11:21:05 AM

Just to add to this. Tennyson got 8 stitches in a training match last week.  Didn't even get a free apparently for the incident. Tennyson expected to have to go to hospital to get stitched. Cody told him to go into the dressing room , get stitched and resume his position on the field.
Thats the difference. Kilkenny get nothing on the field of play they don't get in training.

Serious ?? Cody is not much of a ref by all accounts. This confirms it.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 06, 2009, 11:21:05 AM

Serious ?? Cody is not much of a ref by all accounts. This confirms it.

Just because you get a cut doesn't necessarily mean it should be a free. Shit happens

Farrandeelin

Hopefully Waterford will give me a reason to be over-excited on Sunday (hoping Mayo do the business in the football). On the other hand I could be leaving at half-time...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.