Benny Coulter

Started by AAAA, July 15, 2009, 02:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAA

Well lads, getting slated in work at the minute for stating that I would have Benny Coulter on an All-Ireland XV. In my opinion his goal record playing for an under achieving Down team speaks for itself.

Thoughts?

blanketattack

Going by this year so far he'd definitely make it with Kavanagh and Gooch below par. Paddy Bradley and Bernard Brogan the other 2 automatic choices.

BallyhaiseMan

Definetely one of the best in the country,a terrific talent.
Whether hed make an All Ireland XV,i dont know,He would certainly not be far away

ziggysego

He'd be on the panel anyway, but sure about the first 15 though.
Testing Accessibility

Mid Down Gael

Benny is a legend. He is the top international rules forward every time. He would be very close to being in the top 6 forwards. Imagine him on the Tyrone or Kerry team.

Jinxy

Not a prolific enough point scorer to be considered one of the top forwards IMHO.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

corn02

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 15, 2009, 02:58:16 PM
. He is the top international rules forward every time.

Is he?  ???

full back

Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2009, 03:07:01 PM
Not a prolific enough point scorer to be considered one of the top forwards IMHO.

Free's contribute to a lot of the top scorers though jinxy

He is a class act

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: corn02 on July 15, 2009, 03:07:52 PM

Is he?  ???

You can't say he hasn't played well for Ireland, he does some amount of scoring every series...

full back

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 03:17:04 PM

Is he?  ???

You can't say he hasn't played well for Ireland, he does some amount of scoring every series...

No one said he hasnt played well nail
You said "He is the top international rules forward every time"

TacadoirArdMhacha

Is he?  ???

Difference between playing well and being the top forward every time. It'd be fair to say that he's a better international rules player than gaelic footballer though clearly he's a talented footballer. Have noticed he seems to have cut out going for goals from ridiculous positions
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

International Rules Stats (2005)

Ireland: Mickey McVeigh; Sean

Og O hAilpin, Graham Canty, Tomas O Se; Ciaran McManus, Tom Kelly, Bryan Cullen; Sean Cavanagh, Ciaran McDonald; Brian Dooher, Benny Coulter, Stephen O'Neill; Matty Forde, Padraic Joyce, Owen Mulligan.

Interchange Subs:

Eoin Brosnan; Ronan Clarke, Colm Cooper, David Heaney, Sean Martin Lockhart, Anthony Lynch, Brian McGuigan, Michael Meehan.

Ireland Scorers: Brendan Coulter (2-1-3) 18pts; Sean Cavanagh (1-2-1) 13pts; Ronan Clarke

(0-3-2) 11pts; Stephen O'Neill (0-3-2) 11pts; Ciaran McDonald (0-1-1) 4pts; Mattie Forde (0-1-0) 3pts; Eoin Brosnan (0-0-2) 2pts; Padraic Joyce (0-0-1) 1pt.

Australia: Dustin Fletcher; Lindsay Gilbee, Darren Milburn, Dale Morris; Andrew McLeod, Brent Deleidio, Daniel Giansiracusa; Chris Newman, Luke Hodge; Matthew Lappin, Nathan Eagleton, Brent Harvey; Aaron Davy, Nick Davis, Chris Johnson.

Interchange Players: Ryan O'Keefe, Shannon Grant, Keplar Bradley, Heath Black, Trent Croad, Amon Buchanan, Russell Robertson, Andrew Lovett.

Australia Scorers: Andrew Lovett (1-3-0) 15pts; Shannon Grant (0-3-1) 10pts; Nick Davis (0-3-1) 10pts; Luke Hodge (0-3-0) 9pts; Chris Johnson (1-1-0) 9pts; Ryan O'Keefe (0-2-2) 8pts; Aaron Davy (0-2-1) 7pts; Daniel Giansiracusa (0-2-0) 6pts; Lindsay Gilbee (0-2-0) 6pts; Nathan Eagleton (0-1-0) 3pts; Matthew Lappin (0-1-0) 3pts; Trent Croad (0-1-0) 3pts; Brent Harvey (0-1-0) 3pts; Amon Buchanan (0-1-0) 3pts; Chris Newman (0-1-0) 3pts; Russell Robertson (0-0-2) 2pts.

BESTOf The Irish

Benny Coulter

Laois star Tom Kelly looked impressive until he was taken out by a late challenge from Russell Robertson. Armagh's Ronan Clarke put in a fantastic second quarter when he landed three superb overs. Sean Cavanagh strutted his stuff in the final quarter.

Benny Coulter was the only Irish player who maintained a consistent level of excellence from start to finish. His tally of 18 points made him the game's top scorer. Apart from his contribution to the scoreboard, Coulter was also the only Irish player who took a clean catch above his head.

This is from last year when his goal won it for Ireland

Benny Coulter (Down): Scored two goals. A bad tip cost him a third but he still managed an over. His last goal won the game for Ireland. A supreme goal-poacher. (7)

Can't be bothered trailing through the rest, I am not saying he is the best EVERY time, just that hes very very good.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: full back on July 15, 2009, 03:18:03 PM

Is he?  ???

I said no such thing. Mid Down Gael said that.

Jinxy

Quote from: full back on July 15, 2009, 03:08:02 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 15, 2009, 03:07:01 PM

Free's contribute to a lot of the top scorers though jinxy

He is a class act

What I mean is in order to be considered a top forward he would want to be contributing 3/4 points from play on a regular basis.
It seems to me that he doesn't really do this that often.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

full back

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 15, 2009, 03:22:47 PM
Quote from: full back on July 15, 2009, 03:18:03 PM

Is he?  ???

I said no such thing. Mid Down Gael said that.

Apologies ONL

Mid Down Gael, you are talking jibberish