Will you support the strike?

Yes, I'm an electrician
Yes, Not an electrician but will not cross a picket
No, I'm am electrician but not in the union and I am available to work
No, I work in construction and need to work and pay bills
Dont work in Contruction but back the 11% pay claim
These lads are taking the piss

Tankie

Just wondering how people feel about this strike? As I am not a member of a union if the electrician was to setup a picket on my office I would be walking straight in - I really believe that these lads are taking the piss.....
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

I disagree with the whole notion of union rates  we've a minimum wage  for a reason . Its a farce, pay the best the most let the wasters get the door .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2009, 06:11:46 PM
I disagree with the whole notion of union rates  we've a minimum wage  for a reason . Its a farce, pay the best the most let the wasters get the door .
What has the minimum wage got to do with this issue gnevin?

I would generally support Unions in the workplace, yes they can take it too far but they can also do some good work.  In this instance I think these boys are taking the piss, a bit like the GPA they are going to get it very hard to find sympathy in the country when so many are out of work. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2009, 06:24:07 PM

I would generally support Unions in the workplace, yes they can take it too far but they can also do some good work.  In this instance I think these boys are taking the piss, a bit like the GPA they are going to get it very hard to find sympathy in the country when so many are out of work. 

i think he means that there is a minimum wage for everyone and it is upto every individual to prove their worth after that. this having a flat fee for a guy who could be shite at his job is a joke....its the same reason the civil service is in such a shit heap....
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

That is minimum  Ithink people should be paid after that you make your case to the boss as too how much your worth.  Union rates are pure dung .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

Funny how Tankie and Gnevin always answer each other within minutes.

The poll needs another option:

It is illegal not to pass a picket (unless you are part of the action) and I could be sued by my employer for costs encurred therefore I would be an idiot not to pass it.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on July 04, 2009, 06:29:16 PM

i think he means that there is a minimum wage for everyone and it is upto every individual to prove their worth after that. this having a flat fee for a guy who could be shite at his job is a joke....its the same reason the civil service is in such a shit heap....
If someone is shit at their job then they shouldnt be there.  Most jobs would have flat rates for postions whether unions are involved or not.  Up to a guy to prove how much he's worth? How do you suggest that would work?  Two people working along side each other, doing the same job and on different money?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2009, 06:35:33 PM

If someone is shit at their job then they shouldnt be there.  Most jobs would have flat rates for postions whether unions are involved or not.  Up to a guy to prove how much he's worth? How do you suggest that would work?  Two people working along side each other, doing the same job and on different money?

I work with people doing the same job and we are on different money - this is common in most work places.

I am not saying they should start at the minimum wage but they should not be on €21 as a union rate - its counter productive and just rediculous!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Well if one guy can wire 100 plugs in a hour and the other 10. Who is the more valuable employee?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on July 04, 2009, 06:42:39 PM

I work with people doing the same job and we are on different money - this is common in most work places.

I am not saying they should start at the minimum wage but they should not be on €21 as a union rate - its counter productive and just rediculous!
I worked in jobs too where those beside me where on different wages and it created nothing but resentment.
Why are the people working with you and doing the same job on different money? Do you think it's a fair system?

I get the feeling yourself and gnevin simply think you're better than an electrican.  

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2009, 07:02:02 PM

I worked in jobs too where those beside me where on different wages and it created nothing but resentment.
Why are the people working with you and doing the same job on different money? Do you think it's a fair system?

I get the feeling yourself and gnevin simply think you're better than an electrican.  

Well you would be wrong . I don't know about Tankie but I don't think I'm better than any one who puts in a honest day's work

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on July 04, 2009, 07:11:56 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2009, 07:02:02 PM

Well you would be wrong . I don't know about Tankie but I don't think I'm better than any one who puts in a honest day's work

I'll second that.

The other side is POG that if you have some lazy shite on €21 an hour the union wont let you sack him either and its counter productive for fellow workers to see some lazy shite being paid the same.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Just so we know the level these lads are working on

Quote from: Gnevin on June 20, 2009, 05:36:24 PM
The union said the strike on July 6 "could have a serious impact" on sectors including energy, manufacturing and construction and cause "widespread lay-offs".

magickingdom

unbelievable selfish shower of bastards, hope the lot get fired are replaced by people who want to work

Maguire01

I'd say a lot of jobs outside the public sector have people paid different money than others with the same title. If the person on the lower wage isn't happy, they can leave - if their current employer wants to retain them and thinks they're worth it, they'll offer them more.

In many places of work (outside of the public sector pay scale environment) people don't actually know what exact salary their co-workers are on.

As for resentment because some people are paid more, surely there'd also be resentment (and potentially less productivity) if someone who worked flat out was getting paid the same as someone who did as little as they could get away with?